Unhappy players

Why is it players become unhappy about not playing so quick and its been like this for years. I have a 20 year old who has played every cup game and European game but now he wants to go out on loan to develop and he comes on as a sub, it just so unrealistic and i really hope SI fix this for fm23 and i have other players who would never get in my squad ahead of my starting 11 who are just constantly moaning about their playing time. Its like this every save i do no matter what i set their squad status to  

I think squad status and expected playing time only refers to league matches. In my experience they need the amount promised in league matches and they don't care about or consider cup matches at all,, Even European competition is counts for less then league matches.,, only fringe players and future prospects stay happy with cup matches but they might still demand a league match now and then.

EDIT: also important: They dont consider how often you have matches.. if you have 10 games/matches in august and a star player only plays 6 of them he might become unhappy that he didn't play Monday, Wednesday and Saturday 2 weeks in a row.... I dont know whats better between becoming unhappy or just injured in this situation.

Edited by Speedyol

1 hour ago, JamieTC13 said:

When did I ever mention anything about being the games fault? 

In the part where you said that you hope SI will fix this.

There's nothing to fix. Just stop promising your players the playing time that you are not willing to give them and they're not as unhappy.

First rule of football management - don't promise anything. And if you do, promise only what you're willing to deliver. It's perfectly realistic that people get upset if they feel that they're cheated in that regard. The only complain about FM in my eyes is that it lacks options to explain players some certain situations (for example, difficult schedules, injury threat etc.) - options that you have in real life. I understand that these kind of conversations are difficult to implement in the game. But the reasonable logic behind cause and effect: promise broken -> player unhappy -> team morale suffers should be clear to every manager.

Second rule of football management - be very picky with contract statuses. More than five "important players" in the team will already limit your rotation options because you have a bunch of players in the team who expect to play almost every game. It's even worse with star players. I'm not free of this sin myself - currently I have two star players in my team and although both start 90% of the games, both are 'concerned' with their playing time. Like... what? But that's my fault, not SI's.

23 hours ago, Draakon said:

Poor management is hardly the game's fault :)

Playing time only considering league games is bad and dumb and bad.  I know it's always been like that, but it's also always been bad and dumb.  And squad player status in particular is finicky.

On 20/06/2022 at 12:33, Draakon said:

In the part where you said that you hope SI will fix this.

There's nothing to fix. Just stop promising your players the playing time that you are not willing to give them and they're not as unhappy.

First rule of football management - don't promise anything. And if you do, promise only what you're willing to deliver. It's perfectly realistic that people get upset if they feel that they're cheated in that regard. The only complain about FM in my eyes is that it lacks options to explain players some certain situations (for example, difficult schedules, injury threat etc.) - options that you have in real life. I understand that these kind of conversations are difficult to implement in the game. But the reasonable logic behind cause and effect: promise broken -> player unhappy -> team morale suffers should be clear to every manager.

Second rule of football management - be very picky with contract statuses. More than five "important players" in the team will already limit your rotation options because you have a bunch of players in the team who expect to play almost every game. It's even worse with star players. I'm not free of this sin myself - currently I have two star players in my team and although both start 90% of the games, both are 'concerned' with their playing time. Like... what? But that's my fault, not SI's.

There does seem to be a problem with playing time happiness in the years game.

Example i have is Van Dijk, as Important player is currently concerned about his playing time. He has played 17 out of 20 possible games. Dropped for 1 prem, 1 champ league, and 1 cup games. He is now becoming fatigued so needs a rest and is concerned about his playing time.

I can say the same for several players, from squad player to regular starters. 

They dont seem to take into account cup game importance and when they need a rest.

It is an issue with the game imo.

Never had a problem in past version of teh game.

I'm a 1970's manager. I wear a sheepskin coat & take the unhappy chap down the pub for a couple of stiff ones. I tell him where he is going wrong, then he decides whether he's happy or on the transfer list

I actually think its bugged too.

Got Van Dijk back to satisfied, then had a chat with him, said i'd rest him for 2 weeks and he was happy with that.

After the next match he is back to concerned becuase he didnt play while being rested.

Silly bug.

Edit: same with Robertson. Was Satisifed, happy with a rest from next match, after the next match he was concerned.

Edited by Siven

Kinda hijacking your thread, but in the same problem, often my players get unhappy when PSG bid for them, and I don't let them leave. Now in my save it was 2026, my player, newgen wonderkid, best salary in the club, play every match, PSG bid for him, instantly get unhappy for not leaving, he doesn't even give me the option to give him a best salary or anything, simply wants to leave. Then PSG bid for 4 other players, all in the same boat of this newgen, all of them also becomes unhappy. I don't see the reason, PSG is 11º in the reputation board, my team is 1º, won champions and premier league 3 years in a row, my team is also rich and have the funds to get better salaries, but they insist that going to PSG is better for their carriers than staying. No other team creates this effect in my player, just PSG, it my be a bug, I don't know.