Hi all,

First of all, a thank you to all the wonderful advisors around here. FM22 has been an iteration where I managed to (finally) come up with some self-made tactics that actually work. In the past it was hit or miss, and I never got lucky more than once. This year I managed consistent success with two different tactics and it's all thanks to the smart, helpful people you are.

My new attempt is, while defensively solid and at times attackingly brilliant, still a bit shaky and I'd like some advice on it. I've dropped some extra pictures in the attachment, I hope that works? 

2022061707474100-6D4E83929ECAFEF50226B254984DAFC7.jpg.013b4047ac6804ac66a08b6b9ac7a798.jpg

TI's: pass into space, play out of defence, shorter passing, higher tempo passing, counter press, counter, higher DL, prevent short GK distribution.

PI's: AMC (take more risks, shore more often), IW (shoot more often, sit narrower), BBM (Take more risks, shoot more often; this player rotates with others).

My main problem is the LB. He rarely delivers and unless he makes an assist (happens in about 20% of the games), he'll barely reach a 6.4 average. In about 50% of games my IW(a) will struggle as well, until he scores or assists. My third problem is the Winger. He's my second biggest problem in that he struggles to make an impact. 

There seem to be games where we just turn off, barely create a chance until somewhere in the second half and then score out of nowhere, usually against teams similar to our level. We perform against bigger teams and severly outperform weaker teams. 

Any tips or advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers and have a wonderful weekend!

2022061707481900-6D4E83929ECAFEF50226B254984DAFC7.jpg

2022061707482200-6D4E83929ECAFEF50226B254984DAFC7.jpg

2022061707485800-6D4E83929ECAFEF50226B254984DAFC7.jpg

2022061707490700-6D4E83929ECAFEF50226B254984DAFC7.jpg

2022061707491200-6D4E83929ECAFEF50226B254984DAFC7.jpg

2022061707492300-6D4E83929ECAFEF50226B254984DAFC7.jpg

2022061707494700-6D4E83929ECAFEF50226B254984DAFC7.jpg

2022061707481300-6D4E83929ECAFEF50226B254984DAFC7.jpg

Try wingers as IWa and IWu with PI Stay wider and hold ball. The wingers will wait for CMs or wingbacks to make runs, or take the ball them self.

Striker DLFa, he will hold the ball and wait for runs. OMC as SS, and keeper Sa.

As for TI, Positive mentality, wide, underlap left and right, focus both flanks, work ball, much higher line of eng, force outside, offside trap and tackle hard.

TI = Team instructions
PI = Personal instructions

6 minutes ago, mezzala said:

Try wingers as IWa and IWu with PI Stay wider and hold ball. The wingers will wait for CMs or wingbacks to make runs, or take the ball them self.

Striker DLFa, he will hold the ball and wait for runs. OMC as SS, and keeper Sa.

As for TI, Positive mentality, wide, underlap left and right, focus both flanks, work ball, much higher line of eng, force outside, offside trap and tackle hard.

TI = Team instructions
PI = Personal instructions

Thanks for the suggestions. The thing is I'd like my left winger to act as an inside forward, running into the box and very attacking. The wing back was intended to provide width and a passing outlet. By underlapping, they're keeping the wingers too wide I think? 

For the AMC: doesn't making him an SS make him to straightforward? As in he'll only be looking to run and score?

26 minutes ago, jens_dewit said:

Thanks for the suggestions. The thing is I'd like my left winger to act as an inside forward, running into the box and very attacking. The wing back was intended to provide width and a passing outlet. By underlapping, they're keeping the wingers too wide I think? 

For the AMC: doesn't making him an SS make him to straightforward? As in he'll only be looking to run and score?

Maybe the AMC can be AMu, with the PI Move into channels. What do you want him to do? Not run and score? 
Im not that familiar to a 4-4-1-1, this is just what i think could work.
The TIs i said, is working for me. The wingbacks wont run in the middle all the time, if theres not a space, they will move to the sideline and try to make crosses. Mostly the MC will try to find the spaces for inside runs.
Try the PI Cross from byline on both the WB/FB, or just on the WB if he is the better dribbler, crosser and can find the spaces. 

The IW can also have PI move forward, so they wont get to deep in the own half. 

26 minutes ago, mezzala said:

Maybe the AMC can be AMu, with the PI Move into channels. What do you want him to do? Not run and score? 
Im not that familiar to a 4-4-1-1, this is just what i think could work.
The TIs i said, is working for me. The wingbacks wont run in the middle all the time, if theres not a space, they will move to the sideline and try to make crosses. Mostly the MC will try to find the spaces for inside runs.
Try the PI Cross from byline on both the WB/FB, or just on the WB if he is the better dribbler, crosser and can find the spaces. 

The IW can also have PI move forward, so they wont get to deep in the own half. 

I based my tactic off of the 'wiping your slate clean' topic on here and I like the idea of the AMC being a bit of everything (creater andgoalscorer): playmaking without being a magnet for the ball, being an accessible pass option and actively attacking from deep. Perhaps I should add move into channels, but I like how effective he is atm. He's definitely not the problem as he's a goal threat and a passer currently.

3 hours ago, jens_dewit said:

My new attempt is, while defensively solid and at times attackingly brilliant, still a bit shaky and I'd like some advice on it.

On first look, your left hand side looks pretty vulnerable. So first thing I'd look to do is to shore up that side on the pitch a little 

WB's get further forward which will create a lovely overlap but then on the left side of central midfield, is a BBM who won't really cover for the Wingback making forward runs

Your right hand side has the FB(A) who has the DLP covering for him on the right 

For me, ideally, if I'm committing both back positions forward, I'd want a DM to sit and cover

Then think of your team's forward movement, the BBM will look to get forward, but then IW operates in that sort of area where on the right hand side (especially when asking him to sit Narrower), the Winger will be hugging touchline with the DLP mainly looking to stay back so there's a channel there you could make more use of 

18 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

On first look, your left hand side looks pretty vulnerable. So first I'd do is look to shore up that side on the pitch a little 

WB's get further forward which will create a lovely overlap but then on the left side of central midfield, is a BBM who won't really cover for the Wingback making forward runs

Your right hand side has the FB(A) who has the DLP covering for him on the right 

For me, ideally, if I'm committing both back positions forward, I'd want a DM to sit and cover

Then think of your team's forward movement, the BBM will look to get forward, but then IW operates in that sort of area where on the right hand side (especially when asking him to sit Narrower), the Winger will be hugging touchline with the DLP mainly looking to stay back so there's a channel there you could make more use of 

Some excellent points to think about, thanks.

I was thinking of shoring up the left by turning the WB into a FB(s). The idea for the B2B was to offer support to the IW going forward, but if my FB is more conservative, I might even try a mezzala on support? Though that might be a bit much, perhaps just a CM on support or a carrilero.

For the right, I was thinking perhaps an IW on support, or keep the winger on support with an IWB on attack at RB since I do have the cover of the defending DLP... Does that make sense, or would it be too adventurous, with bith the DLF and AMC already in that central space attacking?

2 minutes ago, jens_dewit said:

I was thinking of shoring up the left by turning the WB into a FB(s).

I think this is the easiest option :thup:

3 minutes ago, jens_dewit said:

The idea for the B2B was to offer support to the IW going forward, but if my FB is more conservative, I might even try a mezzala on support?

That first point is fine and if it's working, keep it as it is. A Mezz is even more risky than a BBM (IMO) so I'd 100% be wanting a DM to cover his forward movement. With two banks of four, you could do with the CMs roles being fairly simple and not too attacking (by nature) so I'd lean more toward a CM(S) rather than a Mezz 

8 minutes ago, jens_dewit said:

For the right, I was thinking perhaps an IW on support, or keep the winger on support with an IWB on attack at RB since I do have the cover of the defending DLP... Does that make sense, or would it be too adventurous, with bith the DLF and AMC already in that central space attacking?

Yeah, that sounds like it could be great to try out, I especially like the IWB idea :cool: Maybe something for preseason 

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Yeah, that sounds like it could be great to try out, I especially like the IWB idea :cool: Maybe something for preseason 

I do like that idea :D IWB on attack has so far been my favourite role this year. It's a bit OP it seems, because opposition pleayers never seem to be able to defend against them. Every time I play bad, my best player will still be that IWB.

10 minutes ago, jens_dewit said:

I do like that idea :D IWB on attack has so far been my favourite role this year. It's a bit OP it seems, because opposition pleayers never seem to be able to defend against them. Every time I play bad, my best player will still be that IWB.

It's those runs from deep, they come from no where! :D It's the same for the DM (Volantes!) and CM (CM(A) MEZZ(A)) positions, great fun :cool: So long as you have defensive cover :brock: 

hace 3 horas, Johnny Ace dijo:

It's those runs from deep, they come from no where! :D It's the same for the DM (Volantes!) and CM (CM(A) MEZZ(A)) positions, great fun :cool: So long as you have defensive cover :brock: 

Sometimes using the CM(A) with a lone forward no matter the role feels super unfair. They destroy defences 

13 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

On first look, your left hand side looks pretty vulnerable. So first thing I'd look to do is to shore up that side on the pitch a little 

I had a similar issue in a tactic which was entirely fixed by switching the b2b to a cm/s

Aaargh It's backfiring 😅

Can't keep a clean sheet anymore, while that was one of our strengths in the previous season. Without the b2b we seem a lot more sterile in offence. Small teams are beaten, but teams our equal find ways while we can't score even though our xg is 2+...

Still open to suggestions 😃

• AMC:  he has great Ant/OTB/FT/WR, so I'd consider giving him a role which roams and/or moves into channels;
  • LM:  he really looks like an IF and from the players you showed, should be your primary scorer;  maybe consider a future formation with a LW or try him as an AMC/Striker;
  • LB:  good defender but doesn't have offensive skills; but he has the speed/stamina/work-rate to create width, and good decisions so he will pick good moments to get forwards and be able to recover, so I'd prefer him at FB(a) with dribble less b/c he doesn't have the dribbling to play WB;
  • BBM:  certainly can play BBM and keep using it if it works.  Alternative:  with his great Vision/Passing, he can really create chances and with great FT/Bal/Str, he can hold his own in the midfield.  He could play AP/DLP for sure, or if you want to play your LB more defensively, Carrilero with gets forward;
  • both the BBM and AMC have really good jump/FT and VG-Good Ant/Str -- you could have your GK distribute directly to both or either of them -- and also ditch POOD and shorter passing and maybe focus center -- because against most players, those two could quickly control most long balls and immediately turn it into attack;
  • you have a number of players with good decisions and stamina so you could increase tempo even more, at least for portions of the game;

where are you conceding goals from?

Edited by glengarry224

9 hours ago, glengarry224 said:
  • AMC:  he has great Ant/OTB/FT/WR, so I'd consider giving him a role which roams and/or moves into channels;
  • LM:  he really looks like an IF and from the players you showed, should be your primary scorer;  maybe consider a future formation with a LW or try him as an AMC/Striker;
  • LB:  good defender but doesn't have offensive skills; but he has the speed/stamina/work-rate to create width, and good decisions so he will pick good moments to get forwards and be able to recover, so I'd prefer him at FB(a) with dribble less b/c he doesn't have the dribbling to play WB;
  • BBM:  certainly can play BBM and keep using it if it works.  Alternative:  with his great Vision/Passing, he can really create chances and with great FT/Bal/Str, he can hold his own in the midfield.  He could play AP/DLP for sure, or if you want to play your LB more defensively, Carrilero with gets forward;
  • both the BBM and AMC have really good jump/FT and VG-Good Ant/Str -- you could have your GK distribute directly to both or either of them -- and also ditch POOD and shorter passing and maybe focus center -- because against most players, those two could quickly control most long balls and immediately turn it into attack;
  • you have a number of players with good decisions and stamina so you could increase tempo even more, at least for portions of the game;

where are you conceding goals from?

I'm mainly conceding from crosses/passes just outside the (side of the) box to strikers that seem poorly marked by otherwise excellent defenders...

Bijnens will always be my first choice striker as Jordan is actually pretty 'meh'. I'm mainly using Mitchell (the AMC in the pictures above) as my LW. Some very good things to look at though and I'll take them into account when fiddling again. So thanks for the tips!

Currently I'm playing like this: 

image.jpeg.0d52304fc4c077499c64288951af81d7.jpeg

Changed to a positive mentality since we're one of 3 top teams in our division now. Removed all PI's and the only TI's left are Play out of defence, counter-press and press more often. I think especially removing many of the PI's has had a positive effect (which suits me better since I'm usually more of a basic player, leaving most of the decisions to my players).

I based some ideas off @Johnny Ace's remarks in the AMC thread. The SS is pretty much doing what I expected from the AM(a), but I chose to stick with a DLF since an AF seemed too far removed from the rest of my players, especially when I was using my LW as an IW on support rather than attack. Hence the above result. Still having some trouble scoring (xg often 2-3, sometimes 4 but only scoring 1 or 2).