It's my way or the Highway

mark wilson27

After winning the Euro Lottery and a smooth £184,000,000 local lad Mark Wilson decided to invest his money into a football club. Instead of going for a professional club he decided to invest in his local club Matlock Town. The club is in the Northern Premier League and at the moment is a semi professional club who's claim to fame is winning the FA Trophy in the 70's.

I will be running the club as director. The current manager is Paul Phillips with his assistant being Dave Wild.

After the initial takeover I have told the manager I want to at least reach the Play-offs and be challenging for promotion within the next couple of years at a minimum.

Season One 2021-22:

July 2021:

The bookies and so called experts have stated that they expect us to finish in 5th place and have odds of 6-1 to win the title.

The month consisted of preseason friendlies with it beginning with a 3-0 win over Saltney with L.Hughes scoring a brace and M.Marshall grabbing the other goal. This was followed by a 1-1 draw against Bedworth United as J.Uchegbulam grabbing a late equaliser. The last two friendlies saw us beating Kidsgrove Athletic 2-0 with M.Marshall and C.Chippendale scoring, the final friendly saw us being beaten 3-0 by Chesterfield which was expected as they fielded a full strength side.

Other News:

During the month my manager brought in a few new faces with Marcus Marshall and Terry Hawkridge coming from Basford Utd for an undisclosed fee, Luke Daly came in from Curzon Ashton, Ioan Evans came from Stalybridge Celtic, Reece Webb-Foster came in from Colne, Jamie Sharman came in from Chesterfield, Paul Cooper came in from Stoke City, and Riece Bertram came in from Belper Town all on a free. We also welcomed Joe Young coming in from Wolverhampton Wanderers on a loan. The final incomings for the month saw Zac Smith and Christopher coming in a free transfer.

Outgoings sees Spencer Harris (Liversedge), Nathan Whitehead (Frickley Athletic), Callum Dolan (Warrington Rylands), Osebi Abadaki (Ashton Utd) and Craig Carney (Bamber Bridge) all leaving on a free

August 2021:

We had our final friendly at the start of the month as we beat Merthyr Town 2-0 thanks to goals from C.Francis and K.Coppin. After that it was into league action and we started the season with a 1-0 win over Gainsborough thanks to a goal from M.Marshall and this was followed by a couple of 2-0 losses as Scarborough Athletic and Whitby Town both beat us. Mickleover were our next opponents and we struggled to a 1-1 draw thanks to a goal from N.Wroe. The final game of the month saw us beating Atherton Collieries 2-1 thanks to goals from L.Hughes and T.Hawkridge. The results sees us sitting a respectable 9th in the table.

Results: (All League otherwise stated)

7/8/21: Merthyr Town (a) 2-0w C.Francis, K.Coppin (Friendly)

14/8/21: Gainsborough Trinity (h) 1-0w M.Marshall

18/8/21: Scarborough Athletic (a) 0-2L

21/8/21: Whitby Town (h) 0-2L

25/8/21: Mickleover (a) 1-1d N.Wroe

28/8/21: Atherton Collieries (h) 2-1w L.Hughes, T.Hawkridge

Other news:

The draw for the FA Cup 1st Qualifying Rd sees us facing northern Premier League Division 1 East side Marske Utd, the side is currently 8th in their league

The gaffer brought in a couple of faces this month with Tom Harrison coming in from Gloucester City on loan which included a £3,000 fee, also Joe Woodiwiss came in from Newport County on loan which also included a fee of £2,300

September 2021:

A poor start to the month saw us losing away to Grantham Town by a score of 2-0 and this was followed by us being knocked out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle with Marske United beating us 2-1 with I.Evans scoring our only goal. The next game saw us being thrashed 3-0 by Stalybridge Celtic and the game ended with a chorus of boos by the home fans, this was then followed by a dire 1-1 draw against local rivals Buxton with J.Woodiwiss doing the honours for my side. The next game saw us losing again to Lancaster City 1-0 but the players made up for it as they beat Radcliffe 3-0 in front of the home crowd with Z.Smith scoring a brace and L.Hughes grabbing the other goal. Up next saw us losing 3-2 against FC United of Manchester with N.Wroe and L.Hughes scoring our goals, I was far from happy as we gave away a two goal lead. After that result changes were made.

The final game of the month pretty much summed up the rest of the month as we lost 2-0 to Ashton United, not a great month

1/9/21: Grantham Town (a) 0-2L

4/9/21: Marske United (a) (FA Cup 1st Qual. Rd) 1-2L I.Evans

8/9/21: Stalybridge Celtic (h) 0-3L

11/9/21: Buxton (a) 1-1d J.Woodiwiss

15/9/21: Lancaster City (a) 0-1L

22/9/21: Radcliffe (h) 3-0 Z.Smith (2), L.Hughes

25/9/21: FC United of Manchester (a) 2-3L N.Wroe, L.Hughes

29/9/21: Ashton United (a) 0-2L

Other News:

After the loss against FC United of Manchester I took the hard decision to relieve Paul Phillips of his duties. With us falling close to the relegation zone I couldn't risk my investment going down the pan. His assistant Dave Wild will take temporary charge until I can find a suitable replacement.

Transfer news sees De'marlio Brown-Sterling joining on a free and sees Christopher Francis leaving us on a free to Hayes & Yeading United

The month ended with us sitting in the relegation zone in 20th place. Luckily its early season and I hope we can turn things around.

October 2021:

The month didn't get off to a great start as we lost the first game against Witton Albion 2-1, our only goal came from N.Wroe. The next game saw us drawing against Morpeth Town 1-1 with T.Hawkridge heading in late to give us a point. We weren't at our best but the third game of the month saw us beating Stafford Rangers 2-0 with De'marlio Brown-Sterling grabbing a brace, this was followed by a 2-1 win against Bamber Bridge as L.Hughes and Z.Smith both scoring. Our busy month continued as we let a three goal lead go against Hyde United to draw 3-3 as A.Byrne grabbed one goal and De'marlio Brown-Sterling grabbing a brace. South Shields were next up and we grabbed a late 2-1 win with that man De'marlio Brown-Sterling grabbing another brace.. The final game of the month sees qualifying for the next round of the FA Trophy as we beat Marine 2-1 thanks to club legend R.Hannah grabbing one of the goals and the other coming from T.Hawkridge

2/10/21: Witton Albion (h) 1-2L N.Wroe

9/10/21: Morpeth Town (h) 1-1d T.Hawkridge

13/10/21: Stafford Rangers (a) 2-0w De'marlio Brown-Sterling (2)

16/10/21: Bamber Bridge (h) 2-1w L.Hughes, Z.Smith

23/10/21: Hyde United (a) 3-3d De'marlio Brown-Sterling (2), A.Byrne

26/10/21: South Shields (h) 2-1w De'marlio Brown-Sterling (2)

30/10/21: Marine (a) (FA Trophy 3rd Qual.Rd) 2-1w R.Hannah, T.Hawkridge

Other News:

I acted early in the month to get my new manager in as I welcomed Russell Slade joined. He has managed numerous professional clubs from Notts County to Sheffield United. He comes with plenty of experience which I hope will transform our poor start to the season.

The upturn in form has seen us move up to 14th place in the league some 7pts above the relegation zone and 11pts off the play-off spots.

Transfer news sees R.Slade bringing in Andy Kellett on loan from Guiseley which includes a fee of £1,500. He also brought in Wes Atkinson from Hednesford Town on a free. R.Slade also got rid of a few players with Reece Webb-Foster (Hyde United), Liam King (Merthyr Town), Riece Bertram (Hitchin Town), Callum Chippendale (Clitheroe) and Adam Yates (Bishop's Stortford) all leaving on a free transfer. The release of Club legend Adam Yates hasn't gone down too well with the fans.

November 2021:

The month started well as we beat Warrington Town 2-1 as J.Woodiwiss and T.Hawkridge firing in to give us the three points. The next game saw us again winning 2-1 as T.Hawkridge scored again with W.Atkinson adding the other goal. We now faced a FA Trophy tie against Witton Albion and made light work of them as we beat them 3-0 thanks to goals from Z.Smith, De'marlio Brown-Sterling and T.Hawkridge and this was followed by another Cup game as we faced Sporting Khalsa in the Northern Premier League Challenge Cup and again won convincingly 4-0 thanks to goals from A.Wiles, M.Marshall, L.Daly and J.Uchegbulam. The next game on the agenda was a league game against Gainsborough Trinity which we laboured to a 1-1 draw thanks to a goal from Z.Smith. Again we had a double header of cup games with Brackley Town up first in the FA Trophy and after a 2-2 draw we lost on penalties 7-8. Our goals were scored by T.Hawkridge and R.Hannah. The next cup game saw us beating City of Liverpool 2-0 in the Northern Premier Challenge cup with De'marlio Brown-Sterling scoring a brace. A pretty good month of results

2/11/21: Warrington Town (h) 2-1w J.Woodiwiss, T.Hawkridge

6/11/21: Basford United (h) 2-1w T.Hawkridge, W.Atkinson

13/11/21: Witton Albion (a) FA Trophy 1st Rd 3-0w Z.Smith, De'marlio Brown-Sterling, T.Hawkridge

16/11/21: Sporting Khalsa (a) Northern Premier League Challenge Cup 2nd Rd 4-0w A.Wiles, M.Marshall, L.Daly, J.Uchegbulam

20/11/21: Gainsborough Trinity (a) 1-1d Z.Smith

27/11/21: Brackley Town (a) FA Trophy 2nd Rd 2-2d (pen 7-8L) T.Hawkridge, R.Hannah

30/11/21: City of Liverpool (h) Northern Premier League Challenge Cup 3rd Rd 2-0w De'marlio Brown-Sterling (2)

Other News:

We have moved up a space from last month in the league as we sit in 13th place after 21 games. We are 12pts above the relegation zone and 10pts below the play-off zone.

December 2021:

A good start to the month saw us beating Scarborough in an entertaining game with a scoreline of 3-2 thanks to goals from T.Hawkridge, A.Wiles and A.Byrne, this was followed by a 3-1 win over Whitby Town as A.Kellett, T.Hawkridge and De'marlio Brown-Sterling who all scored. The final two games of the month saw us grabbing two draws with the first being a 1-1 draw against Atherton Collieries with A.Kellett scoring. The final draw saw us drawing 2-2 with Nantwich Town thanks to goals from A.Kellett again and A.Byrne. A good month shame we couldn't win the last two games

4/12/21: Scarborough Athletic (h) 3-2w T.Hawkridge, A.Wiles, A.Byrne

11/12/21: Whitby Town (a) 3-1w A.Kellett, T.Hawkridge, De'marlio Brown-Sterling

18/12/21: Atherton Collieries (a) 1-1d A.Kellett

26/12/21: Nantwich Town (a) 2-2d A.Kellett, A.Byrne

Other News:

We are slowly creeping up the league and currently sit in 12th place, now 16pts above the relegation zone and 7pts off the play-off spots. We just need to keep this form up going into the new year. Only piece of transfer news sees Callum Chippendale joining Clitheroe on a free transfer

January 2022:

The new year saw a busy start with a 1-0 win over Mickleover after De'marlio Brown-Sterling heading the only goal, this was followed by a 1-1 draw against Grantham Town with L.Hughes firing in from close range. The next game saw another draw as Morpeth Town fought back for a 2-2 draw with L.Daly and T.Hawkridge both scoring. We then face Grantham Town again but this time it was in a cup game as we beat them 2-1 thanks to a J.Uchegbulam and J.Sharman goal. The final two games were both league games with a game against local rivals Buxton and struggled to a 1-1 draw with De'marlio Brown-Sterling, the final game saw us losing 2-1 to Stalybridge Celtic with our goal coming from a W.Atkinson stunner

1/1/22: Mickleover (h) 1-0w De'marlio Brown-Sterling

8/1/22: Grantham Town (h) 1-1d L.Hughes

15/1/22: Morpeth Town (a) 2-2d L.Daly, T.Hawkridge

18/1/22: Grantham Town (h) Northern Premier League Challenge Cup 4th Rd 2-1w J.Uchegbulam, J.Sharman

22/1/22: Buxton (h) 1-1d De'marlio Brown-Sterling

29/1/22: Stalybridge Celtic (a) 1-2L W.Atkinson

Other News:

We remain in 12th place in the league after 30 games some 17pts clear of relegation and now 10pts off the play-off spots. We could do with a good run to keep the play-off hopes alive.

February 2022:

The month began with a 3-1 win over Lancaster City with L.Daly, T.Hawkridge and De'marlio Brown-Sterling, this was followed by a 2-1win over FC United of Manchester as L.Hughes and T.Hawkridge both scoring. However this was followed by a 2-1 loss against South Shields with Z.Smith grabbing our only goal. Next up was a Challenge Cup game against Warrington Town in the ¼ finals however we lost 4-1 on penalties after a dire 1-1 draw. The final game saw us losing in the league against Radcliffe 2-1 with L.Daly firing in the only goal.

5/2/22: Lancaster City (h) 3-1w L.Daly, T.Hawkridge, De'marlio Brown-Sterling

12/2/22: FC United of Manchester (h) 2-1w L.Hughes, T.Hawkridge

19/2/22: South Shields (a) 1-2L Z.Smith

22/2/22: Warrington Town (a) Northern Premier League Challenge Cup ¼ Final 1-1d (1-4L pen) T.Hawkridge

26/2/22: Radcliffe (a) 1-2L L.Daly

Other News:

The month ended with us sitting in 11th spot after 34 games. We are 21pts clear of the relegation zone and 11pts behind the play-off spots with 24pts available to play for. I think we need a little miracle to get into the play-off spots but never say never in football.

Transfer news sees us letting Paul Cooper going to Hemel Hempstead Town and Alex Wiles joining Wingate & Finchley on free transfers

March 2022:

A good start to the month saw us beating Ashton United with L.Daly and A.Kellett grabbing the goals for the three points, however the next game wasn't up to scratch as we lost 2-0 to Warrington Town. The penultimate game of the month saw us winning Witton Albion 2-0 with De'marlio Brown-Sterling and I Evans grabbing our goals in a dominant performance. This was followed by 3-0 win over Stafford Rangers as L.Hughes, T.Hawkridge and club legend R.Hannah all scoring.

5/3/22: Ashton United (h) 2-0w L.Daly, A.Kellett

12/3/22: Warrington Town (a) 0-2L

19/3/22: Witton Albion (a) 2-0w De'marlio Brown-Sterling, I.Evans

26/3/22: Stafford Rangers (h) 3-0w L.Hughes, T.Hawkridge, R.Hannah

Other News:

The end of the month sees us move up to 10th place on 58pts after 38 games. We are six points off the play-off and we pretty much need a miracle to get into the play-offs. Luckily we are 29pts off the relegation zone.

Transfer news sees the gaffer bringing in Russell Benjamin and Junior Mondal on free transfers from Southport and Darlington. The gaffer has also let Ryan Qualter join Bracknell Town on a loan for the remainder of the season.

April 2022:

The final month of my first season as chairman and we began it with a 1-1 draw against Bamber Bridge with L.Hughes scoring the goals, this result and other results elsewhere all but ended our Play-off hopes. The next game saw us beating Hyde United with T.Harrison, A.Byrne and J.Mondal all scoring. We then faced Basford United and made hard work of a 2-1 win with Z.Smith and T.Hawkridge doing the damage. The final game of the season saw us beating Nantwich Town 2-1 with L.Hughes and Z.Smith scoring the final goals of our season. A good month performance wise, lets hope we can build from this and push onto next season

2/4/22: Bamber Bridge (a) 1-1d L.Hughes

9/4/22: Hyde United (h) 3-1w T.Harrison, A.Byrne, J.Mondal

16/4/22: Basford United (a) 2-1w Z.Smith, T.Hawkridge

23/4/22: Nantwich Town (h) 2-1w L.Hughes, Z.Smith

Other News:

We ended the season in 7th place and missed out on the play-off spots by 2pts. Then again after the start of the season I'm please we made it this far. The Champions were South Shields who won the league by 3pts. The start of next month will see who wins the other promotions spot

May 2022:

No matches

Other News:

The season finished with South Shields as champions and 4th placed Scarborough Athletic winning promotion via the play-offs.

The end of season stats sees Terry Hawkridge playing the most games with a total of 47 games, he also scored the most goals with 15 for the season with De'marlio Brown-Sterling scoring 14 goals. The most consistent player was Zac Smith who grabbed an average of 7.26 after 41 (4 sub) games, scoring 8 goals in the process and assisting in 13 of the teams goals

June 2022:

No matches

Other News:

After a few months of work in the background I am glad to announce that with the money I have I am able to change the clubs status to a professional club. I will also be looking at increasing the clubs capacity. Once this has happened I will be looking at putting other facilities in the club and ground.

Transfer news sees Patrick O'Flaherty joining us on a free transfer

The odds for next season has seen the bookies as 4-9 favourites to lift the crown and earn promotion

Season Two 2022/23:

July 2022:

Results: (All Friendlies otherwise stated)

9/7/22: Garforth Town (a) 2-3L L.Daly, De'marlio Brown-Sterling

12/7/22: Burton Albion (h) 2-1w De'marlio Brown-Sterling, N.Wroe

16/7/22: Chesterfield (h) 1-2L J.Mondal

23/7/22: 1874 Northwich (a) 2-0w J.Mondal, R.Austin

30/7/22: Woking (h) 0-2L

The preseason began with a lot of experimenting by the gaffer. The first game saw us losing 3-2 to Garforth Town with L.Daly and De'marlio Brown-Sterling grabbing our goals, this was followed by a 2-1 win over Burton Albion with De'marlio Brown-Sterling and N.Wroe scoring. The next friendly was our usual friendly against Chesterfield and as seems the norm they beat us 2-1 with J.Mondal grabbing our goal and this was followed by a 2-0 win over Northwich with J.Mondal and R.Austin scoring the goals for the club I own. The final friendly of the month saw us losing 2-0 to Woking

Other News:

Not a lot of news to be fair with the only things of note seeing a trio of signing on a free transfer with Jay Williams, Eli Campbell and Remy Coddington all joining the club.

• 3 weeks later...

August 2022:

2/8/22: Hampton & Richmond (h) Friendly 1-2L T.Hawkridge

13/8/22: Gainsborough Trinity (a) 0-1L

17/8/22: Buxton (h) 3-0w De'marlio Brown-Sterling, E.Campbell, T.Hawkridge

20/8/22: Ilkeston Town (a) 2-1w T.Elliott (2)

24/8/22: Witton Albion (a) 1-2L J.James

27/8/22: Radcliffe (a) 1-1d T.Hawkridge

31/8/22: Warrington Town (h) 2-0w De'marlio Brown-Sterling, J.James

A busy month for the players and my manager. The first game of the month saw us facing Hampton & Richmond in the final friendly of the preseason which we lost 2-1 with T.Hawkridge grabbing the only goal for the side. The next game saw us starting our league campaign and it didn't go to plan as we lost 1-0 to Gainsborough, however we made up for it with 3-0 win over local rivals Buxton Town with De'marlio Brown-Sterling, E.Campbell and T.Hawkridge all scoring. We won the next game aswell with Ilkeston Town going down 2-1 with T.Elliott grabbing both goals for my side. The next game saw us losing to Witton Albion 2-1 with J.James scoring the only goal for my side. The final two games of the month saw us drawing 1-1 against Radcliffe with T.Hawkridge scoring the equaliser and the final game saw us beating Warrington Town 2-0 thanks to De'marlio Brown-Sterling and J.James both scoring

Other News:

With a mix batch of results to start the season we are sitting in 8th place after six games. Nantwich are top some six points clear of us

Transfer news sees a few dealings by my gaffer. First was a departure with Edwin Essel leaving for Ossett United on loan a week after joining us on a free. Jack James has joined us on a loan from Gloucester City with a fee of £2700 included. Tyler Walton also joined on loan from Southport with a fee of £1400. The final transfer sees Ben Radcliffe joining on loan from Burton Albion.

• 3 weeks later...

September 2022:

A busy month for the manager with eight matches in the month. The first of which was an away tie in the FA Cup which we scraped through with a 1-0 win thanks to a De'marlio Brown-Sterling penalty late in the game.

The next game saw us drawing 1-1 in the league against Morpeth Town with that man De'marlio Brown-Sterling firing in to give us a share of the points.

We were up against FC Units of Manchester in the league for our third away game in a row and we beat them easily 2-0 with H.Woods and De'marlio Brown-Sterling both scoring to secure the three points. This was followed by our first home game of the month as we faced Stockton Town and again we won 2-0 with J.Williams and De'marlio Brown-Sterling scoring.

Our next game was the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying tie against Nantwich Town and we were made to work for it as we beat them 3-1 after two hours of football. L.Daly was the Man of the Match with a great hat-trick to send us through to the next round.

After the two hour slog in the previous match we seemed very lethargic against Farsley Celtic but did enough to win 1-1 with J.James doing the honours for the three points. Our penultimate game of the month saw us facing Ashton United and outplayed them from the get go with T.Hawkridge grabbing a brace and L.Daly firing in the other goal for a convincing 3-0 win.

The final game of the month saw us travelling to Whitby Town beating them 2-1 with H.Woods and A.Byrne both scoring to end the month unbeaten and me a happy chairman

3/9/22: Whickham (a) FA Cup 1st Qual.Rd 1-0w De'marlio Brown-Sterling (p)

7/9/22: Morpeth Town (a) 1-1d De'marlio Brown-Sterling

10/9/22: FC United of Manchester (a) 2-0w H.Woods, De'marlio Brown-Sterling

14/9/22: Stockton Town (h) 2-0w J.Williams, De'marlio Brown-Sterling

17/9/22: Nantwich Town (h) FA Cup 2nd Qual.Rd 3-1w (aet) L.Daly (3)

21/9/22: Farsley Celtic (h) 1-0w J.James

24/9/22: Ashton United (a) 3-0w T.Hawkridge (2), L.Daly

28/9/22: Whitby Town (a) 2-1w H.Woods, A.Byrne

Other News:

The end of the month sees us sitting top of the table on 26pts after twelve games. Our nearest rivals are Nantwich Town who are on 23pts.

Transfer news for the club sees Harvey Woods leaving to Barnet on loan