Help me understand my Wage bill

I have just taken over a team and I am overspent on wages per week. So I start to delve a bit deeper and see my budget is £383 pw and my current committed spend is £448 pw. I only have 2 players on contracts the rest are non contract players. The 2 players on contract are paid £20 pw each. I can't work out why my spend is £448? 

As an example there is a player who has a salary commitment wage of £85 pw. So I click his profile and inspect his contract. He is a non contract player, and his bonuses are Appearance Fee £130, Clean Sheet Bonus £25, and Unused Substitute Fee £10. So why is the Wage (2021/22) column in Finances > Wages > Salary Commitments saying £85. I am very confused.

I think the wage contributions are 50% of all possible bonuses per week. So for that player it would be (130+25+10)/2 = 82.5. Rounded up to 85. So if you have 10 players with those bonuses it would be £850, even if only a few of them play.

Unfortunately your formula sometimes works but with others it doesn't. I have a player who's salary commitment is £10 pw, but they have appearance bonus of £40, clean sheet of £6 and unused sub of £2. From what you said above that would be (40+6+2)/2 = 24. And yet there is another player who has appearance of £40, assist bonus of £6 and unused sub of £2. That's the same sums that I've just used and yet his salary commitment is £25 pw. None of it is logical.

Thinking a bit more, I think it could have something to do with squad role as well, but I can’t really remember. If you think it’s bugged, then please report it as such. At the very least you’ll get a reasonsble response.

Post a screenshot of your highest paid players contract an his playing time and I'll try and explain how its worked out in the wage salary commitment.

If you go to this I did a bit of digging in the contracts a while back.

Edited by kevkel

The info @kevkelprovided in the other thread has been of use to me in trying to work out these salary commitments. Whilst I cannot get the figures to work out exactly, other bonuses must be included in working out the salary commitment in the budget. I am not sure if this a bug I just think it could be presented better in the finance section.

If anything, this is making me completely rethink how I offer contracts. Before , when playing at this level, I offered a new non-contract to a player to fend off other bidders. I didn't really concern myself too much with playing time promises. I am now going to have to pay particular attention to the agreed playing time as well as the amount of other bonuses given, as this will have a big say in my wage budget. I would be better off having a team of amateur contractors if I could offer them. One of my best players in this team is the only amateur and has no impact on my wage budget, but as soon as I go into negotiate a contract you negate them being an amateur, and they immediately want bonuses. 

For those looking for skill levels in Football Manager then manage at this level and keep the club afloat! I just don't know how I will keep players to build a team, as they will be off to another club in a heartbeat if a better offer comes in. I suppose youth may have to be the way to go, but then the cycle just continues. Oh the joys of managing in the gutters!!

In terms of your player you posted if part time contracts are worked out the same it will be as a squad player percentages

WAGE £20 (x 1 =£20)

APP FEE £4 (x 0.4 = £1.60)

UNUSED FEE £1  (x 0.6 = £0.60)

ASSIST BONUS £3 (x 0.3 = £0.90)

TOTAL COMMITMENT = £23.10 (Then it depends on how the game rounds it)

Bonus percentages are calculated different for different positions

Clean Sheet bonus GK and DEF 20% of their bonus is added to the weekly commitment, no commitment for other positions

Assist bonus is roughly 12% for a MID, 30% for an ATT MID and 20% for an ATT

Goal Bonus is roughly 12% for a MID 20% for an ATT MID and 30% for an ATT

International Cap bonus is 15% for all player

So this is how I use it to keep wages and commitments down and make them earn their pay through performance

650418110_LAIRDCURRENTCONTRACT.thumb.png.640631d430077892372b7f713b35cd4c.png

This is Ethan Lairds current contract which ends in a year with the playing time squad rotation

1877213467_LAIRDDEMANDSANDWAGECOMMITMENTOFDEMANDS.thumb.png.74b15d26b8fd24a1d1137d976d35c9b3.png

Ethan Lairds demands again a squad player with the wage commitment of £250k

981260369_ACCEPTEDOFFERANDWAGEDEMANDS.thumb.png.ac079bb8eb0a4113c40855a83551fc2f.png

The negotiated and accepted offer with a £25k lower wage commitment but the big difference is the wage. £70k less wages which equals a saving of £3.6M over the year - the increase in loyalty bonus leaves a saving of basic wage £2.4M.

He can earn this money with his performances which I'm ok with. It really helps me to keep my wages down but it is important to have your playing time set up correctly. If your highest paid player has a playing time of squad rotation then everyone elses demands are going to be way out.

2 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

So am I right in saying salary commitments are based on Actual Playing time rather than Agreed playing time? Therefore Salary commitments can fluctauate?

Just been playing around with different players and agreed playing time and it seems that their salary commitment will stay at the salary commitment agreed in the original contract, So in the screenshot I posted above Ethan Lairds weekly commitment will stay at £225k p/w until that contracts runs out or he signs a new contract.

Even if I change him from the agreed playing time of squad player in the contract to emergency backup or even star player the salary commitment doesn't change on the finances salary commitment page. If a player has a change in playing time agreed in his contract that will reflect on the commitments screen and you'll see an increase or decrease depending on what's agreed

3 hours ago, kevkel said:

In terms of your player you posted if part time contracts are worked out the same it will be as a squad player percentages

WAGE £20 (x 1 =£20)

APP FEE £4 (x 0.4 = £1.60)

UNUSED FEE £1  (x 0.6 = £0.60)

ASSIST BONUS £3 (x 0.3 = £0.90)

TOTAL COMMITMENT = £23.10 (Then it depends on how the game rounds it)

I had this bit wrong earlier I done this with him as a squad rotation player but he's not his agreed contract is as a FRINGE player which would be like this

WAGE £20 (x1 = £20)

APP FEE £4 (x0.3 = £1.20)

UNUSED FEE £1 (x0.7 = £0.70)

ASSIST BONUS £3 (x0.3 =£0.90)

COMMITMENT = £22.80

If you want to post the same screenshots for Daniele Di Giorgio I can try to see why his is the highest commitment

Edited by kevkel

13 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

tobermore di giorgio contract.jpg

tobermore di giorgio playing time.jpg

So for him as First choice GK

it will work out like this

Wage £0 (x1 =£0)

Appearance fee  £130 (x0.6 =£78)

Unused fee £10 (x0.4 =£4)

Clean Sheet £25 (x0.2 =£5)

Total wage commitment per week £87 (rounded down to the £85 you see on your commitments screen)

So at lower level for a goalkeeper as First choice GK playing time you would be better off doing something like this for example 

Wage £0 (x1 =£0)

App fee £45 (x0.6 = £27)

Unused fee £15 (x0.4 =£15)

Clean sheet £130 (x0.2 =£52)

Total commitment per week £85

So your committed to the roughly the same amount per week but actually saving yourself over £3k over a 38 game season if he plays every game. Obviously if he keeps 38 clean sheets you'll pay him more but if he keeps 38 clean sheets then your getting promoted so happy days.

I've yet to work out the wage cost of a non-contract player, it must be to do with an expected % of playing time over a season based on squad status £20 per appearance + expected goals, assist, and other bonuses.

I see your in the Northern Ireland league if your in The Championship division the season is wrong as it plays home and away 4 times before and again after the split if the wages are based on games then they will be expensive on bonuses with three - four games a week towards the end.

So looking at this positionally I'll start with the GK position

Towards the working out of your salary commitment the wage will always be added as full.

For appearance bonus and unused bonus a percentage from each will be taken which totals to 100% (except youngster) depending on agreed playing time in the contract, the percentages are shown below.

Clean Sheet bonus also varies by a percentage depending on agreed playing time, again shown below.

International Caps bonus, I cannot find any confirming evidence as to why some players have this bonus go towards their salary commitment and some don't. But the percentages for this can vary as follows. 15% 11% 9.25%.

Star Player wage 100% app fee 80% unused 20% clean sheet 20%

Important wage 100% app fee 70% unused 30% clean sheet 17.5%

First Choice GK wage 100% app fee 60% unused 40% clean sheet 15%

Cup GK / Domestic Cup / Continental / Backup wage 100% app fee 40% unused 60% clean sheet 10%

Emergency Backup wage 100% app fee 10% unused 90% clean sheet 2.5%

Breakthrough / Future wage 100% app fee 20% unused 80% clean sheet 5%

Youngster wage 100% app fee 10% unused 10% clean sheet 2.5%

FB/WB and CB are as follows

Again wage is taken as full. Clean Sheet varies depending on agreed playing time, International cap bonus is the same as above, I can't find the definitive answer as to why some have this bonus included but others don't but the percentages vary and are 15% 11% 9.25% if they are included.

Assist bonus and goal bonus don't count towards the salary commitment for FB/WB's and CB's but will count if they are accomplished or natural in a different position further forward.

Star Player wage 100% app fee 80% unused 20% clean sheet 20%

Important wage 100% app fee 70% unused 30% clean sheet 17.5%

Regular wage 100% app fee 60% unused 40% clean sheet 15%

Squad wage / Impact Sub 100% app fee 40% unused 60% clean sheet 10%

Fringe Payer wage 100% app fee 25% unused 75% clean sheet 6.25%

Emergency wage 100% app fee 10% unused 90% clean sheet 2.5%

Breakthrough / Future wage 100% app fee 20% unused 80% clean sheet 5%

Youngster wage 100% app fee 10% unused 10% clean sheet 2.5%

Edited by kevkel

4 hours ago, Garethjohn79 said:

I see your in the Northern Ireland league if your in The Championship division the season is wrong as it plays home and away 4 times before and again after the split if the wages are based on games then they will be expensive on bonuses with three - four games a week towards the end.

Fortunately, I'm using an edited NI database where I corrected the league structure for the bottom 2 divisions. 

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/564781-northern-ireland-correct-league-structure/

Here's the rest so DM/CM/RM/LM

Star player wage 100% app fee 80% unused 20% assist 12% goal 12%

Important wage 100% app fee 70% unused 30% assist 10.5% goal 10.5%

Regular wage 100% app fee 60% unused 40% assist 9% goal 9%

Squad / Impact Sub wage 100% app fee 40% unused 60% assist 6% goal 6%

Fringe wage 100% app fee 25% unused 75% assist 3.7% goal 3.7%

Emergency wage 100% app fee 10% unused 90% assist 1.5% goal 1.5%

Breakthrough / Future wage 100% app fee 20% unused 80% assist 3% goal 3%

Youngster wage 100% app fee 10% unused 10% assist 1.5% goal 1.5%

For RW/LW/AM

Star player wage 100% app fee 80% unused 20% assist 32% goal 20%

Important wage 100% app fee 70% unused 30% assist 28% goal 17.5%

Regular wage 100% app fee 60% unused 40% assist 24% goal 15%

Squad / Impact Sub wage 100% app fee 40% unused 60% assist 16% goal 10%

Fringe wage 100% app fee 25% unused 75% assist 10% goal 6.25%

Emergency wage 100% app fee 10% unused 90% assist 4% goal 2.5%

Breakthrough / Future wage 100% app fee 20% unused 80% assist 8% goal 5%

Youngster wage 100% app fee 10% unused 10% assist 4% goal 2.5%

FOR ST

Star player wage 100% app fee 80% unused 20% assist 20% goal 32%

Important wage 100% app fee 70% unused 30% assist 17.5% goal 28%

Regular wage 100% app fee 60% unused 40% assist 15% goal 24%

Squad / Impact Sub wage 100% app fee 40% unused 60% assist 10% goal 16%

Fringe wage 100% app fee 25% unused 75% assist 6.25% goal 10%

Emergency wage 100% app fee 10% unused 90% assist 2.5% goal 4%

Breakthrough / Future wage 100% app fee 20% unused 80% assist 5% goal 8%

Youngster wage 100% app fee 10% unused 10% assist 2.5% goal 4%

The salary commitment will always be for the highest amount of the players accomplished/natural positions.

So if a player is natural at DM but accomplished at AM the goal bonus and assist bonus will use the AM percentages as they are higher.

13 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Thankyou very much for your detailed explanations @kevkel

No problem, I've been playing since the the championship manager days and I pick one or two areas every edition to understand in more detail and wages/playing time have been one of the areas this year

• 4 weeks later...