Training Myths

I recently came across this video from Evidence Based Football Manager testing the different general training categories- 

Came across some interesting findings (the attributes they show you are inaccurate) so I decided to do some of my own tests with a couple other categories. Started with attacking wings and it was pretty much identical to the general training. Then I tested quickness and the only attribute it actually touches (barely) is pace. Agility and acceleration largely stay unchanged. May or may not update this post with findings with other categories.

Update: Decided to test quickness again and was able to see small improvements in agility but acceleration seems to be pretty stubborn and physical training overall (whether it be general physical or endurance/quickness/resistance) seems to pretty terrible bang for your buck unless it's to appease your players.

Testing chance conversion from the technical module again didn't display a focus on a set of attributes and covered the same attributes as Overall and Attacking Wings but to an even greater extent. I noticed the difference between the sessions is that Chance Conversion doesn't train any tactical familiarity while the other two do which explains why the video above showed GK and Attacking(only trains creative freedom) general training to be among the best for pure attribute development. Tested Ground Defence which also doesn't train familiarity and again great improvement across the board. 

Now there are multiple components to familiarity so while Overall trains all of them, Attacking Shadow Play trains only some of them (3/8) and thus the attribute growth was better than Overall/Attacking Wings but not as good as Chance Conversion/Ground Defense.

Takeaways: I could/should probably do more tests but here

1. All training (except physical) seems to train all mental/technical attributes except aggression, bravery, teamwork, leadership and determination unknown (all players were given 20) but i assume you wouldnt be able to train it either

2. Physical training grows attributes much much slower than the rest which makes sense given how much harder it is to train irl. Doubt you could train 20 year old Mertesacker into a speed demon

3. If your squad is at 100% tactical familarity there is 0 reason to pick a training that increases it unless it's a match buff of course or if it's for happiness. The training modules that don't train familiarity at all include General Goalkeeping, all of the technical training, all of the goalkeeping training, and ground/aerial defence.

4. It's possible that the focused attributes displayed for each session may not be inaccurate but a lot less significant than you think and if your goal is pure development the priority should be less tactical familiarity->unit workload/happiness->alleged covered attributes

Wait there's more:

You'll notice that set piece training also doesn't train tactical familiarity. So I decided to test those too--specifically set piece delivery which is said to train delivery for the upcoming match as well as heading, marking, anticipation, concentration, off the ball, and positioning for all outfielders which were all seen to be accurate except marking and anticipation which did not show any improvement. Interestingly there was growth across the board similar to Overall training for dribbling, first touch, passing, technique, composure, and flair so I'm assuming there must be some games of heads and volleys or other mini games going on in the background. Obviously there are plenty of key attributes missing but players still improve a decent amount with set piece training. Since these are the first sessions I found that actually seem to train a subset of attributes at some point I'll have to test the rest to see if they differ and what might be more beneficial to attributes rather than buffing.

Update:

It seems set piece training improves the following attributes for all outfielders

Dribbling, First Touch, Heading, Passing, Technique, Composure/Concentration, Flair, Off the Ball/Positioning

Attacking FKs/Corners- No Concentration, Positioning
Defending FKs/Corners- No Composure, Off the Ball
Delivery- All

However in terms of total attribute growth it seems that delivery is the worst with the other 2 having a more significant impact on the attributes they cover with the attacking ones doing slightly better.

Edited by RickyDiesel