[FM20] Far far away from Europe

toto92

My most enjoyed save in FM10 was where I loaded all of non-European leagues and started a career, and I thought that I try to remade it in FM20. The main goal is reach success as much continent as I can, and of course have fun. I don't have any restriction for myself, except one: I won't use player search. 

So I loaded all of non-European leagues, and added Toto Toto as a young, ambitious Hungarian manager - but without any job, without any coaching badges and with Sunday league past experience.

I started to apply for almost every available jobs, but lot of them laughed me off. Later I had some not-so-serious job interviews, but finally, one of them was successful!

spacer.png

Geylang International FC

spacer.png

They plays in the Singapore Premier League, and has some trophies in their showcases: they enjoyed their greatest successes in the 1980s and 90s, won the semi-professional first division six times, then they added two victories in the Premier League in 1996 and 2001. However the present is a little bit darker, as they sat in the 8th place when I take control, and lost their last six matches. About the league: everybody plays three times with each other, and luckily nobody will be relegated from the league. Three interesting fact: DPMM is a club from Brunei, Niigata Unicorn is a satellite team of Japanese club Albirex Niigata, and Young Lions is an U23 team controlled by the Football Association of Singapore. The league will be finished until the end of September, then the Singapore Cup will be played, which contains a group stage with 4-4 teams, then the top two teams from both group qualify to the semi finals.

spacer.png

The squads at the start. Linardos played in Greek first and second division, and Varela in the Portuguese third division, they are the most experienced players in the team. Also looks like we have some potential talents, but I don't trust too much in our goalkeeping coaches with their 1 judging potential ability skill. If you can kick a ball, they think you're as good as Ronaldo.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

About the staff: we had the mentioned two goalkeeping coach, and that's all. No assistant manager, no scout, no physio. I placed some advert to find anybody who have ever seen a footballer.

At least the vision and the 5 year plan don't seems too unrealistic.

spacer.png

So let's see what happens. The rest of this year of course will be about experimenting, but I'm really looking forward for that challenge!

spacer.png

Geylang International FC - 2019 August

spacer.png

I started my career at Geylang in the best possible way - with a win! The Warriors was one place ahead of us, so this was an important victory, and also ended the six-games losing streak of the team. Then we easily defeated by Niigata, they scored two goals in the first 20 minutes. Balestier takes the lead with a penalty, but in the 72th minute we equalized - also with a penalty. Further, we had a chance to win, but in the 90th minute, Balestier scored their second goal. The match against DPMM was similar, we again conceded in the last minutes of the match, however they get a red card in the second half. I also changed the tactic because we didn't create enough opportunities to score.

spacer.png

We slipped back to the last place with two matches until the end. If the team had just a little bit better season, we could be in 4th-5th place.

spacer.png

Cup groups drawn in the end of the month. LC Sailors struggle in the season like us, but Hougang is in the third place currently, and Niigata won the last four editions of the cup, so it will be tight. Fortunately the board only expect "be competitive".

spacer.png

Geylang International FC - 2019 September

spacer.png

Three matches, one single point. However this point was a great effort with a late equalizer against league champion Tampines, and increasing number of injuries didn't help us in the last two matches. In the cup, Hougang was the favorite based on this year's performance, so the result isn't a big surprise, however we should grab a point based on our performance. The last match of the league was an easy victory for Young Lions, we showed some potential in the second half, but it's far from being enough even for a drawn.

spacer.png

We finished the season in the last position. I hope next season will be better. There are only cup matches left for this year: two in the group, then the semi-final and final if we qualify.

spacer.png

At least we won the Fair Play award.

spacer.png

Not the best grades, however they are satisfied. I don't expect too much from October, but next year must (and will) be better.

spacer.png

Geylang International FC - 2019 October-November

spacer.png

What a month! I set a little bit more attacking mentality because of the low number of attempts, and the team started playing football! The win against LC Sailors means all four teams stands with 3 points after two matches, so we must won against Niigata Unicorn, because they had a better goal difference. And we comfortably did! And we also won the first leg against Warriors FC in the same way. However the second leg caused some stressful moments because Warriors scored two goals in the second half and in the extra time none of the teams scored. But the penalties decided the match for our benefit. The opponent in the final was Tampines, this year's league champion. I told the boys that we are not the favorites of the match, so relax and enjoy the match. In accordance with the odds, we started the game a little bit cautious, but fortunately the result doesn't follow the odds: we were nut just worthy opponent of Tampines, but with two goals we won the match and the cup! This was the first cup final in the club's history, and of course the first cup win. Magnificent ending of the season.

spacer.png

And we qualified for the Asian Confederation Cup, that means we will play international matches next season!

spacer.png