Player's prefered foot

Do you feel much difference in the transition to attack depending on your player's preferred foot? I mean, IW is certainly a role that you would want a right footed player on the left and vice-versa. But do you search for lef footed centre-backs to play at the left side? Your mezzala in the right has to be right footed?

How do you guys see this dynamic?

I don't pay too much attention to that unless I'm playing them as IF or IW but they do make a difference and you can watch the game in 3D to see that.

I've purposely played my right footed RB in the LB position in some games because of how he tends to open up his body and play the ball over the top for my striker

I don't care too much about footedness on my centrebacks, but I do pay attention to it pretty much everywhere else. For example, last season, I mirrored my tactic so that I could use my left footed Mezzala on the left. He kept getting chances, but usually when pushed toward the outside on his weaker right foot. In the mirrored tactic, he's now getting similar chances, but they are on his left foot, so he's been scoring more.

For attacking players it's important. 

One observation - when playing, for example, left footed player as AMR winger, he tries to cross with his left foot, taking the ball to his left and pausing before the cross. In 3D it makes interesting change of rhythm in two ways:

1) obviously he needs more time to take a cross, allowing defender to close him down and more crosses are blocked

2) when he has a good technique and he can stop and switch side, creating enough space for himself, he actually is in more dangerous position because with his left foot he has all the box available for delivery or low cutbacks, while on the right foot it would have been just a standard cross from byline.

So, in certain situations it could benefit the player to be "wrong-footed".

What bugs me the most with player stronger/weaker foot system is the fact that players labelled as 'two-footed' (preferred foot is 'either') still have a dominant foot on the pitch. I have a two-footed full-back who is capable of playing as both DR and DL, but evidently his right foot is still a bit stronger than left and so, when playing as left-back, he still ALWAYS takes the ball to his right foot and tries to cross with that, even though the better decision would have been to go for a left-footed cross and he actually has the ability to pull it off. 

I played a 4-4-2 for like 12 seasons in FM21 and would always take note of my Advanced Forward's footedness, off the top of my head I can't remember if I preferred playing him on the right side or the left but it made a difference. I remember he went on a massive goalless, then I realised I'd be playing him on the wrong side 

I'm sure I asked about on here about it somewhere

ETA: Ah, found it: 

Pep seems to like using a left footed centre back with Laporte and Diaz as his number 1 CB partnership so there's a thing to it. Like @HUNT3Rsays, Mezzelas can play differently depending on whether they're L/R CM and their preferred foot  

Posted (edited)

I actually tend to think that using Inverted Wingers with their preferred foot on the same side as they're playing produces one of the coolest roles in the game. They generally move as usual, but they will go on the outside of the defender more often to potentially hit a cross. In essence, they end up playing more like a mix of a Inverted Winger and regular Winger.

Edited by Christopher S

6 minutes ago, Christopher S said:

I actually tend to think that using Inverted Wingers with their preferred foot on the same side as they're playing produces one of the coolest roles in the game. They generally move as usual, but they will go on the outside of the defender more often to potentially hit a cross. In essence, they end up playing more like a mix of a Inverted Winger and regular Winger.

Could be. In FM20 I played a Wa and tweaked his role depending on the player so that he was kind of a mix between winger and IFa - sometimes crossed, sometimes attacked the box, run with the ball on the line, but sometimes cuts in etc.