How do I get my inside forwards to play narrower?!?!?

I give up, team instructions set to 'very narrow', player instructions set to 'sit narrower', yet my inside forward plays like a winger that's not allowed to cross. All I want is for my inside forward to come inside the full back and attack the centre back when we have the ball.

This is my biggest issue with FM this year. I want my players to do the simplest tasks, but this year, it feels impossible to translate this through your tactic.

I can't stand the options when you create a tactic, they just seem so lazy and unrealistic. I mean, could you imagine this in real life...

"how wide do you want us to play, boss?"

"narrow"

"how narrow?"

"very narrow!"

I miss the days of when you could put arrows on your tactics indicating where players should play whilst you're in possession. Simple, easy to understand and realistic!

Play wider :)
That make space, and ask your WB to cross far post. 
To make your IF work more narrow it helps to bring up your WB and have a striker that make space for them. So try maybe shorter passing and higher tempo. If your WB dont come forward your IF attack outside. 

The question is (are): If it's safe for IF to cut inside with the ball without losing possession, if it's faster than opp. defender (-s) (with the ball), if has the space to do that etc... The TI "Narrow" will make your players to play the ball in DM-CM strata; rather than on flanks regularly.

Arrows & sliders is now different and more complex.

9 hours ago, Nima2708 said:

Play wider :)
That make space, and ask your WB to cross far post. 
To make your IF work more narrow it helps to bring up your WB and have a striker that make space for them. So try maybe shorter passing and higher tempo. If your WB dont come forward your IF attack outside. 

I play standard width and my inside forward has an attacking wing back outside him. I'm not even exaggerating, 90% of the time my inside forward gets the ball, he runs down the wing with the wing back.

11 minutes ago, jdmk88 said:

I play standard width and my inside forward has an attacking wing back outside him. I'm not even exaggerating, 90% of the time my inside forward gets the ball, he runs down the wing with the wing back.

Is your game fully up to date? This was an issue early on but was fixed

5 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

The question is (are): If it's safe for IF to cut inside with the ball without losing possession, if it's faster than opp. defender (-s) (with the ball), if has the space to do that etc... The TI "Narrow" will make your players to play the ball in DM-CM strata; rather than on flanks regularly.

Arrows & sliders is now different and more complex.

If TI instruction 'narrow' makes your team play down the middle, what's the point in 'focus play down centre/right/left'? 

I want my inside forward to sit narrower when we're in possession. To the point that he's not necessarily cutting inside, as he's already in a central(ish) position when we have the ball. When we lose the ball, I want him to move back out to the right wing. 

In a nutshell, like Salah. Salah comes out wide during a defensive phase but is always well inside the width of the penalty area when liverpool have possession in the oppositions half.

Cheers for the reply

44 minuti fa, Dutchy1983 ha scritto:

Doesn't an inside forward stay wide and dribble in, whereas the IW move inwards.. try the IW

No, you can set them to stay narrower but it doesn't work that much.

Stay wider:

121769542_05-14-202215-35-57.png.db52968cc2860203d8f7a1d022e89b33.png

Stay narrow:

1368934487_05-14-202215-43-47.png.8fc4e1894688067f247cd4a8da2dfbff.png

Probably only the starting position is a bit wider but that's not much of a difference. Same with IW. They all behave quite the same

most times the positioning of a player is not down to the instructions but to the kind of roles the players around them have. The way other players occupy space is what make a role contribute different than you think it should.  

for example, i use a f9 in a 4-3-3. Fot him to come deep, i need to have a  midfield that gives him the space to make that movement. As a result i gave a PI of stay wider to my 2 MC players. With that way my IF goes behind my f9 a lot in a game and thats why he is my top scorer. 

A system is as its name strongly recommends. Think of it like the environment. IT works in a systematic way. In a chain of events.