[FM22] - Changing the "Neverton" narrative and hopefully the balance of power in Merseyside

karanhsingh

Hello all! I am back after probably my longest FM break in as long as I can remember. And it's going to be a pretty different save this time. 

I usually have at least a couple of long saves in England and they are invariably fallen giants in the lower leagues - think Derby, Sheff Wed, Sunderland, etc. However this time we are going to do it differently. We are going straight into the Premier league, at a struggling club, with huge issues and demanding fans & owners. And let's see if we can turn things around.

The situation at Everton FC in-game is similar to real life - although it seems like they may well pull off a miraculous escape IRL. To make matters worse of course, cross-town neighbours and sworn enemies Liverpool are going through a golden period of success and rightfully regarded as one of the best club sides in the world at the moment. On a side note, I am hoping my real life passionate despise of Liverpool drives me on in this save.

The date we take over at Goodison Park in game is the same date which Lampard took over - 31st January 2022. But this time instead it is a former club legend (who over time became a bit of a cult hero) who will be taking the reigns.

Welcome.jpg.ac842001038d7526975f229d353f2914.jpg

Wish me luck! 

Some "notes" or house rules for this save:

- pace of play will probably be a fair bit slower than what it usually is for me due to real life being very busy, but I will still post regular updates

- I want to approach this save realistically as I always do

- which means the tactical set-up will be built from scratch and I will only sign players my scouts find

- I will definitely NOT be signing a bunch of recognized FM wonderkids and creating an all-star team 

- the focus will instead be on incremental progress and changing the club culture

- I will be financially prudent as Everton are IRL now due to the high amount of debt accrued and FFP problems

- Everton have a famous academy and a focus of this save will definitely be to bring a few players through

- Overall I am looking at a 5-6 year horizon to make Everton competitive and at least end their 28 year trophy drought, although I won't be too disappointed if we don't win the league as that would be not very realistic

This brings us to the league table at the time of taking over:

1765757145_jointable.jpg.7d73201ce3ec80f4e51f2a4f003f1670.jpg

Just staying out of the relegation zone on goal difference. Suffice to say, it has not been a pleasant season so far.

I was happy(?) to see that the financial problems at the club seem to be well reflected in the game. We start with a negative balance of 56m, projected to only get worse with time.

finances.thumb.jpg.60a848a7a19281e2c15bfa5fa4d2de7c.jpg

Not to mention a huge amount of debt.

debt.jpg.87ce6ef8fa182db9776ebf850b2ff845.jpg

And a number of over-paid mediocre players who will definitely be hard to get rid off. But it will most certainly be sell before we can buy!

The first season summary is going to be short & sweet.

There were no deadline day transfers as there was no money and no takers for my players.

fixtures.jpg.25c4a7a13025d7698471ac18cd553d2a.jpg

Here are the fixtures for the 4 months we played out. Feb started well with 8 points from 4 league games which lifted us well above the relegation zone. March not so good, the only highlight a solid home win over Spurs. 

April was phenomenal - an unbeaten month capped off with a 4-0 thumping of challengers Man Utd at Goodison and a hard fought point at Anfield.

However the squad clearly went on holiday a bit early, with a chastening run of defeats in May coupled with an embarrassing 1-5 scoreline at West Ham.

eost.jpg.d444afa90a7440a165246a5b3d3b1918.jpg

The final league table shows that we actually only improved by 1 position since when we came in, from 15th to 14th. I was hoping to finish with a positive goal difference but it wasn't to be.

On 12/05/2022 at 00:54, Hootieleece said:

But you have a beautiful new stadium on the waterfront......Don't you need Christiano Ronaldo on your team to fill the seats and sell some jerseys?  LOL!

I will follow and like the plan.

Lol thanks mate. 

I do hope to at least be serving up European football by the time we move to our shiny new stadium! 

Nice to see you back! I was following your adventures with Demba Ba, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Best of luck with Everton, would require a lot of micromanaging with finances and deals.

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Lol thanks mate. 

I do hope to at least be serving up European football by the time we move to our shiny new stadium! 

Even if your leading the Blue Side of Liverpool......

2 hours ago, haier_fm said:

Nice to see you back! I was following your adventures with Demba Ba, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Best of luck with Everton, would require a lot of micromanaging with finances and deals.

Thanks a lot! Happy that you enjoyed that and hope you will this one as well. And yes the finances are going from bad to worse...

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Even if your leading the Blue Side of Liverpool......

Indeed! Should have another update up tomorrow.