Centre Back pressing

Wanting to see if people have different theories or settings they use for the CB pairing with regards to pressing.

I usually like to have one standard, and the other close down less, not sure if it really helps much, in my head he acts more as a safety net by not rushing in.

If I have one on cover, I have been experimenting with him as the standard pressing and the CD D on less, which usually I'd have the other way but it seems to be going well

7 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Always just CD's on Defend for me, I've tried Stopper/Cover combos and always come unstuck so I go for the simple approach 

Completely agree with this, I can't remember ever getting Stopper/Cover to work.

The way I think of it is that if you have two CBs on defend, the opposition has to get through a line of two centre backs, whereas with a Stopper/Cover combination, the opponent only has to get through one centre back, albeit twice (as they won't be holding any sort of line). If that makes sense!

I'm sure it can work--perhaps with a pressing-heavy system, and an elite-level Stopper--but I've never managed it. I'd be interested to see a system where it has worked, though.

Yeah fair calls guys. I was more interested if either of you change the individual pressing for the CB players. I've almost always rolled with the 2 CD-D but I usually have one set to close down less. 

I experimented with a Cover defender which seemed okay but latest tactic I've settled on much higher line, off side trap, both CD-D. Also have individual instructions for both of them close down less, seems to be working a treat, holding the line much better and less balls beating them over the top

In previous FMs I used to automatically always get both CBs to close down less. I used to hate them getting pulled into no mans land (think Maguire against Liverpool). This years FM I haven't bothered to do it & have gotten on well.

Always opt for the standard CB - D or BPD - D as well. Stopper/Cover never seems to work well in the match engine.

Another note: in recent FMs gegenpress/high-pressing systems have become more powerful (pretty much as in real life football). If you've put together strong enough squad, then the preference would be to play attacking, possession-based high-pressing system. It usually comes with higher line of engagement and higher defensive line. Higher defensive line leaves space behind your defence and to cover that space you have two options (can be used at the same time):

1) quick defenders

2) offside trap

And here's the catch - offside trap doesn't work well in a stopper-cover combo, because they're not holding the line. In conclusion, if you're favourites for most games, it's difficult to play high pressing game with high defensive line without leaving yourself a bit vulnerable to counter-attacks if you use stopper-cover in central defence.

On 14/05/2022 at 20:22, Dutchy1983 said:

I was more interested if either of you change the individual pressing for the CB players

I never touch individual pressing for defenders, if anything, I might ask the frontline to press more. If I wanted to play a game of hold shape, forcing the opposition to work around my defence of static cones then I will opt to use the team instructions slider to reduce pressing. In this case I avoid using tackle harder as a team instruction.

When playing on higher defensive lines with higher pressing, I typically use a Defend duty combination. If I ever play on much higher defensive line or much higher line of engagement, I am very careful. Players with low workrate, stamina and mentals typically get caught with balls over the top. So if I choose to do this then i have the offside trap on. Again its entirely team dependant. Attributes like concentration, positioning, jumping reach, heading are important considerations before  I push up the pitch.

Changing individual pressing of CBs I avoid entirely.