Playing a single save the whole year?

Just curious, how many months have you played a single save?... Have you ever considered playing a single save until the next FM is launched?

I ask because I notice that may saves tend to last two to four months, then I get bored with newgens and start a new save and realize another FM version is around the corner in November.

What's your experience with actual months played in a save or over one year edition? Thanks.

I play one save per FM version.

Usually during beta, I mess around a bit, checking out the game, reporting bugs etc. When it's released, I start a new save with no rep or qualifications and unemployed. I'm at AC Milan now in 2034. There are still a few real players left. These things don't bother me because I start so low down that I wouldn't know any real players anyway. For that reason, I treat everyone the same. By the time I get to the top, the real players who are left are the young players in the current database, so I still don't know 99% of them.  :D

I’m still on my first save of this year. Into 2046 with Tiaszkescke trying to win the CL, lost 4 finals so far. 

I’ve had the odd couple of season starting new saves but nothing has gripped me 

• Administrators

Normally have a 'test save' during development just for keeping an eye on new features/bugs etc as they come in. Then once we get close to the Early Access Beta phase I'll start a full save which I'll normally continue. 

Occasionally may start another save which is a bit more silly a fun. Remember a couple of versions ago did an MLS challenge where I'd manage a different MLS club every season and only make signings/sales through my DOF :D 

I always start my save when the beta is released with my team (Birmingham City). Due to work and family commitments I only tend to get about 5-7 seasons in over the course of the year until the next FM is released, but that is fine for me as I tend to start losing interest when newgens start to come through. Rinse and repeat the next year when the new version comes out.  

Not having as much time as I would like, I usually do just 1 save (i am a slow player...) on an odd occasion, I'll start up a second one to run along side just for ***** and giggles (also experiments with tactics).  

Currently only in season 2 since starting at Xmas !

I always have a main save for FM and it usually lasts most of the year or until I get to the point at which I need a break from FM. I play very slowly and my current 22 save is in December 2024. No one will believe how long it has taken me to get that far, so here it is in print:

image.png.c3d1e1c2359c7499bdcec7f19f57fc3a.png

Okay...incredibly slowly.

I sometimes start a second save. For FM20 I ended my main save with Bangor/Swindon because my game developed a huge problem that SI told me couldn't be fixed. I went back to an old team I managed in a way back FM for a couple of seasons.

In past FMs (before 2018, or thereabouts) I did tend to play a couple of saves more often.

1 save per FM, kind of journeyman save. Starting without coaching badges and Sunday League exp. Until reach 65, retirement plan (like in real life). The problem is that I am getting older IRL and playing time being reduced. lol 

FM21 in 2030/31 now

in F11 had a 20 year save till the DB became to big

in FM13 had another 10+ year save

i only tend to have one save per version. i did have second save when i cam back to FM after 7 years (after FM13) which prompted me to buy FM21

will probably skip FM and play other games once i tire of my current FM21 save

Wow, you guys keep playing only one save for the entire FM year!!!...  :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm in my fourth serious save by now, as follows:

0. Beta saves (testing): Alfreton, England and Flamengo, Brazil
1. Ibiza, Spain 
2. US journeyman Zealand mod (fantastic but a bit glitchy) - Palm Beach, Detroit Athletic and Portland
3. international journeyman, all in Brazil (never got an international job invitation): Sao Jose, Bahia and Sao Paulo
4. international journeyman (currently): started in Beidamen, China

:hammer:

PS: I play most matches in Key Highlights mode, so it goes faster I guess...

Edited by phd_angel

I usually start a 'from the bottom to the top' save as soon as it comes out, usually around 2035, I'll start a newer one, same principles.

Then ill do something random until the new one comes out, roughly 2.5 saves a year I'd say

On 06/05/2022 at 22:55, phd_angel said:

Wow, you guys keep playing only one save for the entire FM year!!!...  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well... more.

I'm very slow with my big save. I like to go in depth, so my game pace is rather slow. Because I have duties in real life and I like to watch games in comprehensive highlights I limit myself to one match per real life day and in some days I can't even find time for this, so on average it's like one month game time per real life week or something like that. It means it takes me roughly 2 months to play one season (40+ games). 

Sometimes I try different 'side-saves' when I have some additional time for a week or two, but I struggle with them because I don't have enough mental capacity to go similarly in depth with them.

So, in one year I've played 5-6 seasons and it's not a lot at all. So I usually continue after November and don't buy even the new FM every season, unless my current FM version has some major flaws. Honestly, it's been fairly easy, because SI has done incredible job.

What usually triggers me to buy new FM is when something happens with my save (eg. it crashes or is unplayable for some reason). Or there's just sufficient time passed and I'm getting bored with it. So far I've moved from FM13->FM16->FM20->FM22, so as you can see I played one big save for around 4 real life years.

Test save during the Beta, to get familiar with the new/changed stuff.
When the game is released i will play that one save until next FM comes out.
Been doing this for quite a few years now.

I tend to play 3 saves each version.  1 in the beta with a familiar team just to get a feel for changes in the new version.  1 from the main release through to the winter update and then one starting after the winter update.

The only things that change that pattern are if a bug fix arrives that I want to pick up that requires a new save or ME changes completely disrupt the way my team is playing to the point that a season is messed up. Either of those cases can make me  start a save in between my normal start points.

5 hours ago, rp1966 said:

The only things that change that pattern are if a bug fix arrives that I want to pick up that requires a new save or ME changes completely disrupt the way my team is playing to the point that a season is messed up. Either of those cases can make me  start a save in between my normal start points.

Yes, in addition, if I discover a new realism mod or new league, I may want to install these files, but then need to start a new save. Another reason why I start a new save...

Edited by phd_angel

On 09/05/2022 at 07:15, Draakon said:

Well... more.

I'm very slow with my big save. I like to go in depth, so my game pace is rather slow. Because I have duties in real life and I like to watch games in comprehensive highlights I limit myself to one match per real life day and in some days I can't even find time for this, so on average it's like one month game time per real life week or something like that. It means it takes me roughly 2 months to play one season (40+ games). 

Sometimes I try different 'side-saves' when I have some additional time for a week or two, but I struggle with them because I don't have enough mental capacity to go similarly in depth with them.

So, in one year I've played 5-6 seasons and it's not a lot at all. So I usually continue after November and don't buy even the new FM every season, unless my current FM version has some major flaws. Honestly, it's been fairly easy, because SI has done incredible job.

What usually triggers me to buy new FM is when something happens with my save (eg. it crashes or is unplayable for some reason). Or there's just sufficient time passed and I'm getting bored with it. So far I've moved from FM13->FM16->FM20->FM22, so as you can see I played one big save for around 4 real life years.

i too play on comprehensive highlights so only play like 2 game weeks per sitting on avarage.

Usually about 3 saves per edition for me.

1. Big club I'm familiar with just to try things out and get a feel for the new game

2. Main save, can be anything from my home team (Sunderland) or LLM or just something different. Present one I did 10 seasons with Aberdeen, and have left them now for the PSG job

3. A complete mess around save using pre-game and / or in-game editor. Examples include create a club - Club England with all the England players. Historic all-time greats of Sunderland. Re-created a few greats such as Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, just stuck them in and see what happens.

I used to be a one save per release fella but since I’ve started using custom databases that has changed.

I’ve found myself less interested this release though so I think I might go back to one save next year just for the fun of it and reset my playing a bit.

I'm still flabbergasted that most comments in this thread is for a single save for the entire year of an FM edition.

I suspect this is an exception. I recall a survey a few years ago in which I asked how many seasons people play in a single save, and the majority chose the option for less than 10 seasons per save, which, I'd reckon, would not take a full year. 

Maybe this means that gamers who post most frequently in the forum are not the average gamer?...  :thup:

I play 1 save per version. I also skip every other version, so that's 1 save for 2 years. Technically I made an exception this year, but that was because of some editor stuff. I'd argue that was more of a re-starting the first save, rather than a different one though.

Don't really get the appeal of starting over again and again. Personally I hate the first season. For starters it just annoys me if things don't play out as they did in real life. So the game gets a lot more fun for me once I get past that. Plus my teams don't really feel like their mine until I've had a season or so at them and a few transfer windows. I suppose that's still an issue for moving to a new team, but I usually have the option of not moving too.

I also play with a lot of leagues. I believe I'm running about 130 leagues at the moment. So it takes a long time to process. With how long it takes to get through a single season I really don't want to start over! I also don't want to lose the newgens in my game, whether they're my players or opposition players I get to know their names and like seeing how they do as time goes by.

On 06/05/2022 at 14:11, anagain said:

I always have a main save for FM and it usually lasts most of the year or until I get to the point at which I need a break from FM. I play very slowly and my current 22 save is in December 2024. No one will believe how long it has taken me to get that far, so here it is in print:

image.png.c3d1e1c2359c7499bdcec7f19f57fc3a.png

Okay...incredibly slowly.

I sometimes start a second save. For FM20 I ended my main save with Bangor/Swindon because my game developed a huge problem that SI told me couldn't be fixed. I went back to an old team I managed in a way back FM for a couple of seasons.

In past FMs (before 2018, or thereabouts) I did tend to play a couple of saves more often.

Similar

image.png.2b7a6b1009254d8b2f88853e00a3171c.png

Edited by Platinum

16 hours ago, rusty217 said:

With how long it takes to get through a single season I really don't want to start over! I also don't want to lose the newgens in my game, whether they're my players or opposition players I get to know their names and like seeing how they do as time goes by.

Same here!

I respect anyone who wants to take it slow and play in full time or comprehensive highlights, and also has real life obbligations.

I just like to move faster, to get to know new countries and clubs and challenges. Sometimes I get a new job because I was highly successful and got bored, or because I failed and need to restart. Also, I often download updated mods, so I need to start a new save.

Thanks for your inputs. It helps me learn about different ways of playing FM!

:applause: 

3 hours ago, phd_angel said:

I respect anyone who wants to take it slow and play in full time or comprehensive highlights, and also has real life obbligations.

I just like to move faster, to get to know new countries and clubs and challenges. Sometimes I get a new job because I was highly successful and got bored, or because I failed and need to restart. Also, I often download updated mods, so I need to start a new save.

Yep, I wish I could get through more seasons. I'm keen to try new countries and just get further in time. I'd like to see where the teams I build end up in 10, 20 or many more years. To be honest, I'm not all that hampered by time. I do work a full week and getting older and working weird hours can prompt more sleep, but it's mainly the way I play that makes my saves so slow. After doing it my way for so long I'd find it hard to play matches faster.

I was just kidding with the "it's the best way to play". I do often wish I could get through saves faster. I sometimes think I'll skip an FM and carry on with my save. That never happens though. I'm too easily hooked by the new things in each FM.

3 hours ago, phd_angel said:

I play matches with comprehensive highlights and it takes me an hour to play one league game (prepare the team, tactics, a little scouting etc.). Real life doesn't allow me to get a game every day (work, hobbies etc.) and I don't want to squeeze it in before bedtime, so I often don't play a game in every game. But the game is open in the background and when I had a moment - drinking morning coffee before work etc.) I browse my team, tweak tactics before evening game, check how youngsters have developed in the past game-week and so on. Take 10 minutes to sort out player contracts, for example.

It has led me so far that if I sometimes have free time and play 2-3 games in a day, I feel that I'm rushing and not dedicating myself enough, also some details start to elude me and I'm not enjoying my save so much if I rush. It feels much better when I have 1-2 days to contemplate the last result and for play with some tactical ideas in my head for a while before I actually start the next match.

Perhaps that's part of the FM magic - every player plays the game on his own terms. For me it's just amazing that I can play one save (with one team) roughly 4-5 seasons in a year (at best) and when new version comes out I feel that I haven't really played the game - I haven't had time to test anything, try different careers, different teams or anything. But at the same time it shows how huge this game is - you can play for weeks and months without ever playing it "through" and achieving everything you want to achieve and you can always start again - with a different manager, different team, different continent etc.

On 06/05/2022 at 14:23, fc.cadoni said:

1 save per FM, kind of journeyman save. Starting without coaching badges and Sunday League exp. Until reach 65, retirement plan (like in real life). The problem is that I am getting older IRL and playing time being reduced. lol 

Me too mate. Do what I do and knock 10 or 20 years off your real age:-)

7 hours ago, toiletfootball said:

Me too mate. Do what I do and knock 10 or 20 years off your real age:-)

What's the worst? I will start the game as 50 years old (IRL) and have 10 years to be developed as a manager (in-game). So, only 15 years. Maybe I will lie to the game and start as 21 years old. LOL

Edited by fc.cadoni

Normally I do 2 to 3 saves per version of the game. 

One with the club I support (Benfica), one starting in the lowest tier of Portuguese football and other from a challenge that I would like to try.

3 hours ago, Grifty said:

I always only play one game per save, but I skipped out FM22 due to my FM21 save where I’m in 2073.

Man, that's almost identical to me.

I'm still working on my only FM21 save and am just coming to the end of the 2075/76 season. Onto my sixth club and second generation of manager now!

I've said it before on here, but I really love getting deep into the game, because you're then creating your own unique footballing world, as opposed to just tinkering with the real one.

22 minutes ago, Tonesta78 said:

I'm still working on my only FM21 save and am just coming to the end of the 2075/76 season. Onto my sixth club and second generation of manager now!

I've said it before on here, but I really love getting deep into the game, because you're then creating your own unique footballing world, as opposed to just tinkering with the real one.

Ive never got that far but I want to on this FM, I can imagine it can be really cool. How do you keep up to date with the best players, managers etc. Do you make good use of the news and social media screens?

13 minutes ago, Platinum said:

Ive never got that far but I want to on this FM, I can imagine it can be really cool. How do you keep up to date with the best players, managers etc. Do you make good use of the news and social media screens?

Yeah, I will usually read the threads on players of the year, and quite closely follow the results from the big international tournaments. Every couple of months, I also do a quick trip around of all the leagues I have loaded to see how things are going (usually that's every league in about a dozen countries - although I add/delete leagues every few years just to keep things interesting)

Although the players I'm most familiar with will be the players in and around the league I'm playing in, and am scouting heavily - which is sometimes the Premier League, but at other times has been the National League South or Serie C/A or even the Slovakian second division!

I think the last real player I was still aware of was Jude Bellingham, who just finally retired from his final managerial position at the age of 70-odd; he lasted a couple of years longer than Christian Pulisic, who managed Man City for about 25 years and has their new 100,000 (!) seater stadium named after him!

Edited by Tonesta78

15 minutes ago, Tonesta78 said:

Yeah, I will usually read the threads on players of the year, and quite closely follow the results from the big international tournaments. Every couple of months, I also do a quick trip around of all the leagues I have loaded to see how things are going (usually that's every league in about a dozen countries - although I add/delete leagues every few years just to keep things interesting)

Although the players I'm most familiar with will be the players in and around the league I'm playing in, and am scouting heavily - which is sometimes the Premier League, but at other times has been the National League South or Serie C/A or even the Slovakian second division!

I think the last real player I was still aware of was Jude Bellingham, who just finally retired from his final managerial position at the age of 70-odd; he lasted a couple of years longer than Christian Pulisic, who managed Man City for about 25 years and has their new 100,000 (!) seater stadium named after him!

Thanks for explaining that, do you ever use screen flow? That can be helpful too

20 hours ago, Tonesta78 said:

4th club (+ 1 short England role) and same Manager profile for me

19 hours ago, Platinum said:

For me, I’m playing at the top level so you see the same teams similar to now so you get to learn the players. There are a few out lying teams such as Go Head Eagles are by far the best team in Netherlands and often get to the last 4 of the Champions League. Norwich and Villa are Champions League regulars.

Arsenal and Tottenham are championship clubs, PSG are a mid table Ligue 1 club, Barcelona are Europa League.

I do use the social media function quite a lot, when it gives you teams best performing 3 players over a month you can pick up some good players depending on the teams.

I'm still on save #1 (year 2034). Started out with a LLM Create-a-club (9th level of English football), got the club to League One, the board wouldn't work with me so I jumped to AFC Telford, got them to the Premier, jumped from there (before I was pushed) to Hull City in the Championship, and got them up to 3rd and a spot in the Champions League. Since I started my manager with my actual birthdate, I'm now 70 in-game and just got my reputation to a respectable level...so we'll see how long I live. 

Yep started 1 save in the Beta as unemployed no badges - started in Belarus, then Ukraine, Romania, England, Back to Ukraine where I managed Shakhtar to an unbeaten season, France then Germany where I stayed with Leipzig for 5 seasons before finally landing the Bayern job in 2035.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read through this whole thread, love seeing how people play FM in different ways. 

For me, I always try to have one save for the whole year. The focus is normally on realism so it’s never a one club save. For example on FM20 I got to 2035 and went Cowdenbeath > Raith Rovers > Swansea > Lazio > Barcelona. This year was a proper journeyman save, unemployed with no badges or past experience and now in the 2030/31 season at Aberdeen. 

I’m not exactly a slow player, seasons normally take 7-10 days but often less. I do wish I could play a bit quicker though and that’s probably down to my laptop as well, I love FM far into the future so I’d love to be able to get 30+ years in. I’m confident this years save will be my longest though and beat last years save, I’ve seen some people play as a manager until he reaches about 70, retire then make a new manager as his son or something and continue in the same universe, I’d love to be able to do something like that but might have to skip a game or two for it to be possible!