Why you shouldn't trust the in-game heatmap

Posted (edited)

I've always liked analyzing my matches and, partecipating at  online tournaments, made me go nerd on advanced analisys. Watched for a lot of time the heatmaps of the single players, just to understand how the role worked/behaved but that always felt a bit strange.maybe i got too much spare time but i actually created a script that generates for me the heatmap based on the player's movement.

Tried and still trying, i found out the heatmap doesn't actually work as intended.

Proof:

In-game Heatmap of a CM(S):

image.png.460f101232ab38a38bb35f02bbfcd631.png

Calculated:

image.png.73d7b70daf1f7e5847b14b87a66759aa.png

Box-Box:

1743874836_Immagine2022-05-05172214.thumb.png.464c7ab13bf002ed18b78234bb1f7d9b.png

POACHER:

image.png.34c1714448b6548ad7c20e96d27a74a9.png

If the heatmap is based only when the player has the ball that is an HUGE mistake that should be fixed.

Edited by Andrew Marines

I could be wrong but in fm doesn’t the heat map show where certain events occurred so for your CM it would be where he made tackles, interceptions, blocks etc so it’s not the movement the player makes. I could be wrong .

22 minuti fa, DarJ ha scritto:

I could be wrong but in fm doesn’t the heat map show where certain events occurred so for your CM it would be where he made tackles, interceptions, blocks etc so it’s not the movement the player makes. I could be wrong .

No, it doesn't make sense. And even in italian the text is "zona di copertura" -->covered zone. So it makes sense to display the part of the pitch where the player has been more frequently

13 minutes ago, Andrew Marines said:

No, it doesn't make sense. And even in italian the text is "zona di copertura" -->covered zone. So it makes sense to display the part of the pitch where the player has been more frequently

It could well be an area for improvement, just make sure you’re comparing apples with apples.  FM doesn’t always calculate things in the same manner as real life - for example possession in FM is calculated differently (actual time on the ball) vs real life (number of passes).  No idea if that is true for the heat maps but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Posted (edited)
8 minuti fa, herne79 ha scritto:

It could well be an area for improvement, just make sure you’re comparing apples with apples.  FM doesn’t always calculate things in the same manner as real life - for example possession in FM is calculated differently (actual time on the ball) vs real life (number of passes).  No idea if that is true for the heat maps but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Still doesn't make sense considering the title too tho

Edited by Andrew Marines

14 minuti fa, H_a_a_k_o_n ha scritto:

Have nothing to contribute with, but quite interesting. How are you able to track every player by a script? Play every match on full?

If you go into the analysis at the end of a match, you'll see a sub-menu called "movements". If you select a player, you'll see the movements of the player(the orange line) at a fast speed. I used that

Wonder if this is an on the ball thing? The heat map only shows areas where the player touched the ball or something, but that Poacher heat map looks completely wrong as he's shown in the corner flag yet his snail trail has him no where near there at any point

Report it anyway, it won't be looked at on here 

Hi @Andrew Marines ,

Thanks for raising this on the forums I thought I would reply here as more people may come across this issue and find this post first.

The heat map is a touch map and is designed to show when you're players touch the ball.

We are currently investigating the accuracy of the heat map, but just to reiterate it is designed to show only touches on the ball

Thank you

Jack

22 ore fa, Jack Sarahs ha scritto:

Hi @Andrew Marines ,

Thanks for raising this on the forums I thought I would reply here as more people may come across this issue and find this post first.

The heat map is a touch map and is designed to show when you're players touch the ball.

We are currently investigating the accuracy of the heat map, but just to reiterate it is designed to show only touches on the ball

Thank you

Jack

Can you then change the labels in italian or add a general heatmap? like this it's not that useful and the label "zona di copertura"doesn't make sense at all.