Yet some questions regarding training/roles/youth.

Hi!

Played FM/CM for about 30 years but never really dived into training and youth development in detail. Been trying that now and have some questions/statements it would be great to get some feedback on.

(My questions should maybe take into consideration that I play lower league, conference north first 3 years and now national)

1.       Playing my striker as a deep lying forward – still complaints after 3 years.

Bought him as 19-year-old. Set his positon-training to «Deep-lying Forward». Play him in that role every match. 3 years later I still get the «Do not think he is suited to play in that role» before matches. 

The same I get with a central defender I use as a Wide Centre-back. I train him in that position, but 2 years later he still thinks he is not suited to that role. The central defender has a solid green piechart on that role, the striker never has gotten complete green, he lacks 2 pies.

There are some players that will never adapt? Even though we start early (around 20 years old).

2. Player description      

This is related to question 3. What decides a players role description? If the description says Midfielder, will he always be a midfielder in description? Even though you train him as a centre-back for 5 years, and plays him as a centre-back?

3.    Traning youth in positon

I have my way of playing, and force my youth U18 to play in my formation.  I have no use of a Left midfielder, but then I train and play the 15-year intake Left Midfielder as left wingback instead (position training).

Will he after 3 years be a wingback both in description and roles? Or will he forever be a left midfielder (player description) with the familiarity to play as a wingback?

4.   Training in position/role

After reading a bit on position and training on this forum I have concluded that training in position was not what I thought it was. I think this is the right statement:

Training in position. Its no point in doing this for getting familiar in the position. Playing matches in that position will get the same result. The point of training in position is that the highlighted stats are the ones that will be trained. So if you want to raise the stats for corners to get better stats there, then you have to choose a position that covers that.

That means a player role on training could (or maybe should) be totally different to the role he is playing?

5. General training

If 4 is right. If i still train the player in just 1 position (wingback). The other stats (not highlighted) will still be increasing by the general training? And by playing? 

Edit: some errors

Edited by H_a_a_k_o_n

• H_a_a_k_o_n changed the title to Yet some questions regarding training/roles/youth.

2. Description hints his most natural role. Player can be natural in a couple of positions, but he still feels most comfortable in one, although it doesn't necessarily stop him performing well in other roles and positions. Sometimes it's also the position he prefers - in contract negotiations he might start with requesting you to promise starting him in a specific position and role.

3. As said, player description doesn't change and for that age (16-17 years) when you start to training him, he's already developed preferred position and role. But he can develop another one next to it, so it's reasonable to assume that he'll be accomplished/natural in wing-back role after training and playing in that position for several years.

4. I think you might be correct, although it doesn't make sense playing the player in one role and note training him in the same role, as training improves the key attributes of a given role. If you want to improve one or two specific weaknesses in his game, use individual training instead.

5. Usually, yes, as he develops, but those attributes improve just a little compared to the attributes that are trained.

At a punt, I'd say your facilities and coaches are pretty woeful, not for your level but for in general (no disrespect meant here at all). I wouldn't expect to develop players too much talent and role wise in the National League.

Taking a low ability player with decent potential it will be very possible, but depending on the player it'll only go up to a certain point and he'll need to move up the leagues to develop further and get attribute increases that make the player more suitable to the role

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

At a punt, I'd say your facilities and coaches are pretty woeful, not for your level but for in general (no disrespect meant here at all). I wouldn't expect to develop players too much talent and role wise in the National League.

Taking a low ability player with decent potential it will be very possible, but depending on the player it'll only go up to a certain point and he'll need to move up the leagues to develop further and get attribute increases that make the player more suitable to the role

Thumbs up, that is one aspect of me discovering. I have always bought players earlier in my careers, but will this time as a challenge try to include more from my youth. I actually have gotten 4 players that they give a 4-star potential, and if they will reach that level (at least three stars) they will deserve a place on the senior team at my level now.

22 minutes ago, H_a_a_k_o_n said:

Thumbs up, that is one aspect of me discovering. I have always bought players earlier in my careers, but will this time as a challenge try to include more from my youth. I actually have gotten 4 players that they give a 4-star potential, and if they will reach that level (at least three stars) they will deserve a place on the senior team at my level now.

Great! Yeah, young players will low ability but decent potential are far easier to mould (all things aside, the player's personality etc) into a role than an older player with higher ability