My Centre-back keeps getting MoMs?

My team Mansfield has been in the Championship for a few seasons now. Have a good few prospects coming through so I will be trying for promotion soon.

My CB, who is about ok, keep getting MoMs and got the Player of the Year last season. We are a mid-table team but he keeps out-performing everyone in the league.

616355783_CurtisBirdAttributes.thumb.png.aee023f8d8e733f9adf3acc3c5e74af3.png

2024736750_CurtisBirdStats.thumb.png.f4f3222c2ccf7b396bfaee81326b2701.png

Am I missing something?

He’s got good anticipation, concentration and positioning. He’s also got a good jumping reach. So he’s gonna do a good job at defending on the ground and in aerial duals.

He also has a trait to play short simple passes so I’d imagine he doesn’t often give the ball away either.

Quite simply, he’s doing exactly what he’s meant to and the odd goal won’t hurt either. 

He’s basically doing the job he’s meant to do and doing it well. Pure speculation, but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn he has high consistency too.

Winning aerial duels is the easiest way to get high ratings as a DC. He is, by Championship standards, utterly excellent at it.

(Also, being run past all day won't hurt his ratings that much, although he's probably just about quick enough for that not to be a regular issue)

33 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

He’s got good anticipation, concentration and positioning. He’s also got a good jumping reach. So he’s gonna do a good job at defending on the ground and in aerial duals.

He’s basically doing the job he’s meant to do and doing it well. Pure speculation, but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn he has high consistency too.

His report doesn't mention consistency, but it must be decent. The other players must be going nuts watching him get those awards!

19 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Winning aerial duels is the easiest way to get high ratings as a DC. He is, by Championship standards, utterly excellent at it.

Aaah, this should be the main factor.

Intellegence + Phsycals to reach + Technicals to pull it off. I'm recruiting for the top level in that method, and the DC you have is very good for that level. If they are already in the right place, they might not even need to tackle is an example of that method.

Headers are a massive part of ratings, I can geniuinly see the ratings of my DC's go up\down based soley on headers.

I play as Ajax and my CB (Perr Schuurs) had the highest average rating in Eredivisie in my first season (7.60+).

Pretty similar factors contributed to it, as what is said above:

1. He played as BPDd and we played control possession tactics, so played plenty of (accurate) passes, an odd forward ball behind defence to create a chance bumped his rating up a lot.
  2. He was my go-to guy in set pieces and scored around 5 league goals in the first season from set pieces. Also won a lot of headers from set pieces that didn't lead to a goal.
  3. We won the title and are one of the best teams in the league - as we didn't concede too many goals, our defenders' ratings didn't get affected by conceding

As a side note, I feel that in previous FM's match ratings were favourable to strikers and midfielders - a great goal (long shot or something) pumped it instantly to 8.0 whereas ME counted carefully every single mistake that defenders did in the game and for them to get a rating over 7.0 was pretty good, unless they scored/assisted a goal in that game.

In FM22 it's a bit more balanced and I like that - rating system is much more critical towards attacking players. If you 'disappear' in the game (no chances created, no key passes, missing your chances etc.)  you're downgraded a lot, as it should be. If my striker plays 60-70 minutes and doesn't have a decent chance in the game, he'll come off with a 6.5 rating at best, while in previous versions it might have been 6.8 or 6.9. At the same time nice and tidy defensive output is praised and both defenders and goalkeeper get good ratings for their efforts.

14 hours ago, Draakon said:

I play as Ajax and my CB (Perr Schuurs) had the highest average rating in Eredivisie in my first season (7.60+).

Pretty similar factors contributed to it, as what is said above:

1. He played as BPDd and we played control possession tactics, so played plenty of (accurate) passes, an odd forward ball behind defence to create a chance bumped his rating up a lot.
  2. He was my go-to guy in set pieces and scored around 5 league goals in the first season from set pieces. Also won a lot of headers from set pieces that didn't lead to a goal.
  3. We won the title and are one of the best teams in the league - as we didn't concede too many goals, our defenders' ratings didn't get affected by conceding

As a side note, I feel that in previous FM's match ratings were favourable to strikers and midfielders - a great goal (long shot or something) pumped it instantly to 8.0 whereas ME counted carefully every single mistake that defenders did in the game and for them to get a rating over 7.0 was pretty good, unless they scored/assisted a goal in that game.

In FM22 it's a bit more balanced and I like that - rating system is much more critical towards attacking players. If you 'disappear' in the game (no chances created, no key passes, missing your chances etc.)  you're downgraded a lot, as it should be. If my striker plays 60-70 minutes and doesn't have a decent chance in the game, he'll come off with a 6.5 rating at best, while in previous versions it might have been 6.8 or 6.9. At the same time nice and tidy defensive output is praised and both defenders and goalkeeper get good ratings for their efforts.

The same for me, he scores a few free-kicks, wins a lot of headers, only he's a plain ole CD and we are nowhere near the title.

your explanation cleared up my doubts, as I would get confused in the previous versions as to why my defense was rated so low even though they did their job.

Edited by sherrymirza

Is your guy the middle CB in a back three? This is a key role in the FM match engine; the middle guy will have multiple times more opportunities for winning headers than other CBs. And with 18 Jumping Reach he'll do very well there.

Also, his PPMs are a recipe for match rating success. Short simple passes with no through balls are a great way to rack up easy match rating. And if he's staying back at all times he won't make many mistakes.

Check out some stats like headers won and interceptions. I'll bet he'll be top of the league.