IF Movement

Why is it that when my defenders and midfielders are recycling possession my IF thinks that’s a good time to run into the middle and stand on top of my striker? Maybe I’m wrong but I thought he is supposed to receive the ball wide and cut inside with it or make diagonal runs onto through balls. How is he going to do any of this if he’s just standing centrally whenever we have possession? In the screenshots we’re the team in white and my IF is number 10. 

D9E8EE94-320F-438D-B27A-6D6F3944D65C.png

C1AE291E-0ECA-4054-A60D-1B08C3D3C9C0.png

• SI Staff

I'll do some testing here and look into this, but I doubt your standard of player are helping particularly tbh (Decisions 10 and 11 combined with teamwork of 13 and 10 mean that they aren't going to be hugely in sync).

26 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

I'll do some testing here and look into this, but I doubt your standard of player are helping particularly tbh (Decisions 10 and 11 combined with teamwork of 13 and 10 mean that they aren't going to be hugely in sync).

Fair point. And I know at this level the players aren’t going to be perfect, but the main frustration was lining up and inside forward and then watching him try to play centre forward all game and leaving the left flank completely empty. I saw a lot of moments when a pass to him on the left would’ve left him open to drive towards goal but he was nowhere near that area

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, lcutini said:

Fair point. And I know at this level the players aren’t going to be perfect, but the main frustration was lining up and inside forward and then watching him try to play centre forward all game and leaving the left flank completely empty. I saw a lot of moments when a pass to him on the left would’ve left him open to drive towards goal but he was nowhere near that area

Yeah I get that, definitely worth me checking into as there are always things we can improve :)

• 2 months later...

I always have the exact same issue where my Inside Forwards are already on the edge of the penalty area when the ball isn´t even near them. Only the "winger" role stays wide - but they almost never cut inside (even if the player has the trait "cuts inside"). This has been bothering me for a long time already, since FMM 19 or so.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@Marc Vaughan now that you’ve said this is being altered in FMM 23, it’s got me wondering whether this type of play from the IF was intended or if it was just some kind of bug in the ME? Like have I been misunderstanding the IF role and really it’s just a striker that drops off to the wing in defence?

On 02/05/2022 at 17:42, lcutini said:

Sure thing! Manneh is 9 and Mosiatlhaga is 10

F24072E8-43F9-4EF4-9D82-4FDEB7879362.png

999B6643-7533-4F87-B606-CF61746DAE9D.png

Ha! These are the exact two forwards I'm using in my current save. 2 matches left until an unbeaten first season. 

What I've noticed is that IFs will stay central more often on higher mentalities. So on Attacking they will just stand in the center, but on balanced they will move wide and diagonally. 

I'm glad it's being improved, but that's one way you can address it this year.