• No
    • Undecided
    • Depends on Features

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought it. I feared I'd have to wait for Christmas as my laptop is getting old but the minimum specs gave me new hope. It appears to have the same requirements as FM22 and that runs pretty well so maybe I can even get some early playtime in.

While we know little, the semi-permanence of 5 subs and having that cursed Qatar-Cup early are already something quite big. I am both dreading and anticipating it as I tend to start way too many saves I abandon after a season or two and this year the schedule will be a mess! Hopefully a positive one (at least in RL it looks managable) that gives me a nice natural breakpoint and neither congestion nor unnaturally frequent free weeks. Otherwise this might be the year I actually manage to stick to a file.

I love FM but the set piece creator needs to be fixed. It's extremely buggy and is completely counter-intuitive and people have been asking for it to be fixed for years and years. If SI still don't fix it then I will be extremely disappointed that they continued to leave a core feature in a broken state without any update on their plans for it.

Edited by Platinum

So, why not say last couple of days of the month?

I swear this is literally the only game that invites pre-orders and 1 month (more or less) from the game being available to play we still don't know what, if any, differences there are from the previous version. 

47 minutes ago, davehanson said:

So, why not say last couple of days of the month?

I swear this is literally the only game that invites pre-orders and 1 month (more or less) from the game being available to play we still don't know what, if any, differences there are from the previous version. 

I am tempted to pre-order as I have for a number of years, but this is a fair point. Release date is Nov. 8th, which means the beta drops (if they hold to the pattern of dropping it around two weeks before release) on or around Oct. 25th, which is just a few days out from being a month away. Aside from a few bits and pieces on new licenses we don't know anything about new features or changes to old mechanics, etc.. This is quite different from other game releases where there is often months of media related to gameplay and features. As an example, I was just watching a lengthy gameplay stream from Paradox showing off Victoria III, which releases Oct. 25th, and there has been a ton of media content coming out for it for a while now. I know people trust SI, but it is rather outside the norm.

Edited by Hopfrog12

1 hour ago, Hopfrog12 said:

I am tempted to pre-order as I have for a number of years, but this is a fair point. Release date is Nov. 8th, which means the beta drops (if they hold to the pattern of dropping it around two weeks before release) on or around Oct. 25th, which is just a few days out from being a month away. Aside from a few bits and pieces on new licenses we don't know anything about new features or changes to old mechanics, etc.. This is quite different from other game releases where there is often months of media related to gameplay and features. As an example, I was just watching a lengthy gameplay stream from Paradox showing off Victoria III, which releases Oct. 25th, and there has been a ton of media content coming out for it for a while now. I know people trust SI, but it is rather outside the norm.

Think you have to compare it to other yearly release sports games, I'm not sure what their promos schedule is like though

8 hours ago, TheVerySpecialOne said:

Not that I am defending SI, i'd like to see some gameplay as soon as possible, but 2k for example doesn't show NBA 2k.. gameplay up till like a week before the game release.

They'll do it whenever they please.

It's how marketing works when there is no competition. They know everyone will be back no matter what.

I watched the promo video via Twitter a few mins ago. Lots of it really good but one thing has infuriated me.

Use of phrase "levelled up" @Nic Madden its a politically toxic phrase given the lie and lack of investment in the North, I'm disappointed in you for using it and that it was used in the video.

A shame as the rest of it is all good stuff.

17 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

I watched the promo video via Twitter a few mins ago. Lots of it really good but one thing has infuriated me.

Use of phrase "levelled up" @Nic Madden its a politically toxic phrase given the lie and lack of investment in the North, I'm disappointed in you for using it and that it was used in the video.

A shame as the rest of it is all good stuff.

This is a game not politics, really don’t get how someone can be offended by a word for a game only. 

54 minutes ago, CFuller said:

'Level up' is a phrase that has been used outside of gaming long before it had any political meaning.

If this phrase offends you, I'm afraid it says more about you than it does about SI.

Earliest I can remember the term being used was back in the Arcade days long before consoles became a thing. 

Non-gaming wise it came from D&D first and foremost. 

Edited by Powermonger

Just trying to calm down, not get hyped.

I kinda liked Miles saying their design team just got bigger, but knowing SI development of the game is more evolution, then revolution, is making me stance let us wait and see.

Edited by grade

11 hours ago, Lord Rowell said:

No, flat out, that phrase "level up" has been chosen deliberately and I'm appalled with SI and all at this.

Give this turned out to be completely untrue, and you directly tagged Nic Madden previously, I think the least one could do here is acknowledge it and perhaps apologize. 

2 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Give this turned out to be completely untrue, and you directly tagged Nic Madden previously, I think the least one could do here is acknowledge it and perhaps apologize. 

Whatever way you want to say it, it is a very poor choice of word in the current circumstances, no matter how it 'originally' was used. 

There were plenty of other words and phrases used many years ago that were acceptable back then but that most people have a completley different perception of now. Lets be honest, most people will take the term 'levelling up' to be used by the Tories no matter how it was originally intended to be used.

21 minutes ago, davehanson said:

Whatever way you want to say it, it is a very poor choice of word in the current circumstances, no matter how it 'originally' was used. 

There were plenty of other words and phrases used many years ago that were acceptable back then but that most people have a completley different perception of now. Lets be honest, most people will take the term 'levelling up' to be used by the Tories no matter how it was originally intended to be used.

Level up is one of the oldest gaming phrases, it's still used in RPGs when you quite literally level up, so no idea why it's made out like it's dead (I'm playing Witcher 3 once again, and just for an example I've searched witcher 3 level up, and every top article/video recommend in Google uses some variation of level up/levelling up). And I'm pretty sure 2020/2021 wasn't many years ago, and we're in 2022 and I'm seeing it being used when I searched it. 

It was used in a gaming context, it's an active phrase. Whatever you want to say, its a gaming phrase that is still in use in gaming, it's absolutely fair use. 

23 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Level up is one of the oldest gaming phrases, it's still used in RPGs when you quite literally level up, so no idea why it's made out like it's dead (I'm playing Witcher 3 once again, and just for an example I've searched witcher 3 level up, and every top article/video recommend in Google uses some variation of level up/levelling up). And I'm pretty sure 2020/2021 wasn't many years ago, and we're in 2022 and I'm seeing it being used when I searched it. 

It was used in a gaming context, it's an active phrase. Whatever you want to say, its a gaming phrase that is still in use in gaming, it's absolutely fair use. 

Level up, yes. Levelling up - no. Subtle yet significant difference.

1 hour ago, Nic Madden said:

I thought it was best to share, since I was tagged, that honestly, I have not intended that type of phrasing for anything other than in a video game context, as in the next level. There is no political agenda at all in my phrasing, so I apologise if I have offended you, or anyone, as that really isn't my intention at all.

I do hope you will watch the full edit coming next week to hear the question I was asked and actually the intention behind my answer and the choice of words. 

Aprreciate the reply here and the reply you gave me in priviate - thank you.

4 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

@Nic Maddenactually took the time to reply to me privately and we had a pleasant dialogue. It was absolutely appropriate to tag Nic Madden in the context.

I have no intention of apologising and very much object to you asking me to do so here.

A bit hard to believe pre-orders are raising constantly 21 vs 22 we can see trend going down for steam.  The last row is the peak players (the first is average in the month) any day at that month. Peak might not be the best statistical meter but still interesting to look at.

In 2020 we see peak jump because of covid.

Some first months are low because they  include the early access. But should not this be available to everyone who preorderse so why low numbers there but higher on release:confused:?

Definitely the player count has risen, there is no denying in it. But the fact is that Covid has been huge effect in this. This year will be a interesting to see how the trend continues. Also lets not forget gamepass(+PS) is available and those preorders cant be counted, would assume they have fixed price with Microsoft on that. Quickly looked Touch also, there it never went over 2k peak at the beginning.

image.png.2615c24d3f3140dc8a8dbbd02a0d5dc5.pngimage.png.cf4f3931f81346ce928cd382ebb0ee19.png

image.png.05f9f091863b9f5c39293a5b8f9a22f4.pngimage.png.e6f305c9ae6edb67ab8e43b4f022138d.png

image.png.3e011a4df72a13959dadc7e4702f4999.pngimage.png.b3aba3752a35e50de052cafbfecc5eb0.png

image.png.a58a7ff7cefeb3292c773b51383e987c.pngimage.png.cf3884d6c083798b2d62bb33abc94021.png

image.png.d13ca0b847ce1b61c6a19eb86fbe4c53.pngimage.png.37495b2fb8dedf24ba7d1707e7b29c18.png

Edited by saihtam

8 hours ago, Nic Madden said:

I thought it was best to share, since I was tagged, that honestly, I have not intended that type of phrasing for anything other than in a video game context, as in the next level. There is no political agenda at all in my phrasing, so I apologise if I have offended you, or anyone, as that really isn't my intention at all.

I do hope you will watch the full edit coming next week to hear the question I was asked and actually the intention behind my answer and the choice of words. 

Apology accepted and I genuinely appreciate this, thank you @Nic Madden

12 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

As said, nope. @Nic Madden I have respect for, showed humility and apologised in the right way and it all good now after out dialogue.
However, you @themadsheep2001went after me so now it's on you and I expect you to apologise as well. I will add its far worse IMO for you as you went after me to ask for an apology that was unreasonable to ask for.

I would expect if we are doing reasonable behaviour to put it here at minimium, and I expect right of reply.

Edited by Lord Rowell
Added a couple of lines late night also word "expect".

It's rather straight forward for Nic to have apologised for unintended offence taken. But it doesn't change the fact that it was still something still untrue in terms of the intent. 

This thread has already perhaps seen a bit too much mention of things from UK politics which is tedious enough for someone living in the UK, not even counting visitors to these forums from around the world. However, my only somewhat tongue in cheek mention on this point would be that as a follower of Sunderland you're presumably from or in the North of England yourself, and so on what grounds ever would you have attributed to Boris Johnson or the Tory government to have the originality/imagination to come up with the term levelling up on their own back. I've deliberately omitted the question mark there as it's not a point I intend to debate further - just hopefully something that serves as a bit of a light remark. 

Moving on with the discussion though, in terms of numbers @saihtam I think there are some other considerations as well. FM isn't a game you need to be online to play, there will be some who rarely connect to steam and play in offline mode particularly as life has returned to normal. With the change in schedules again following covid people will likely put far less hours into FM than previously. I'm far more of a degenerate gamer myself, but there probably has to be some people who buy FM have less than 100 hours on it total but still have had a really enjoyable experience with the game only having done a few seasons across the course of the year. 

57 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

1. Improvement to AI logic to squad management. Its been an issue for many years, but the AI squad selector gives too much weight to world rep and CA, this in turn leads it to hold onto old players. I reached 2033 in the game and Barcelona offered me a job, not a single player in their first team squad was below the age of 22. Their starting 11 were 32 and older, with the oldest being 37. Needless to say I turned around and started laughing on the stream, cos taking over Barcelona would be akin to Rebuilding Barcelona, and these were the La Liga Champions. It would be nice to see younger players who have lower world reputation but higher potential who are playing perhaps at 50-60% of their PA being given a run out. This side of the game needs a serious look at and it has to be improved.

Which is something I've experienced as well. Would be a great longevity improvement. :thup:

58 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

2. The UI has largely been unchanged. There have been plenty of suggestions in the past and there are plenty of skins that the community uses. Perhaps that's an area SI should invest more resources into. With the investment in the champions leagues licensing rights, FM23 could certainly take a big step forward with a change to the UI. 

Even though I'm quite happy with the current UI of the game, I can't say "no" to a new design that would let me feel a fresh start to the new era (FM 19 and upwards).

8 hours ago, santy001 said:

there probably has to be some people who buy FM have less than 100 hours on it total but still have had a really enjoyable experience with the game only having done a few seasons across the course of the year. 

That pretty much describes me. I think I've managed around 200 hours in FM22 and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It's just between full time work, family and part time study, that's all that I have time for. 

For what it's worth, I've pre ordered FM23. Even with my limited play time, it's still the best value for money out there. 

48 minutes ago, DementedHammer said:

That pretty much describes me. I think I've managed around 200 hours in FM22 and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It's just between full time work, family and part time study, that's all that I have time for. 

For what it's worth, I've pre ordered FM23. Even with my limited play time, it's still the best value for money out there. 

FM23 Touch coming back to Apple is built for you pal

7 hours ago, Rashidi said:

What I hope to see in the next few weeks, and yes I do continue to hope and dream:

1. Improvement to AI logic to squad management. Its been an issue for many years, but the AI squad selector gives too much weight to world rep and CA, this in turn leads it to hold onto old players. I reached 2033 in the game and Barcelona offered me a job, not a single player in their first team squad was below the age of 22. Their starting 11 were 32 and older, with the oldest being 37. Needless to say I turned around and started laughing on the stream, cos taking over Barcelona would be akin to Rebuilding Barcelona, and these were the La Liga Champions. It would be nice to see younger players who have lower world reputation but higher potential who are playing perhaps at 50-60% of their PA being given a run out. This side of the game needs a serious look at and it has to be improved.

@Neil Brock is anyone on SI aware of this it really ruined long term saves this year

12 hours ago, Rashidi said:

2. The UI has largely been unchanged. There have been plenty of suggestions in the past and there are plenty of skins that the community uses. Perhaps that's an area SI should invest more resources into. With the investment in the champions leagues licensing rights, FM23 could certainly take a big step forward with a change to the UI. 

This is one of the major things I’d like upgraded, I feel the current UI has run its course and is holding the game back in terms of graphical flair, point and click customisation, and navigation. I would love to see true multi window support. 

21 hours ago, Rashidi said:

What I hope to see in the next few weeks, and yes I do continue to hope and dream:

This was a massive problem last year. I like that older players degrade a bit slower but it did cause youth players to languish due to the world rep. A player with 194 PA sat in Juventus under 23s for years with no football to help him get anywhere close to it.