• Undecided
    • Depends on Features

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, richiewhelo said:

Is there any chance there will be native support on the mac version for the M1/M2 chip?

Same here. I used to have few non-M1 applications in my OG M1macbook pro. But I just bought a new Mac Studio last week. I have promised myself no more non-M1 applications in my Mac studio. As a software developer, my whole toolchain has M1 native version. FM is the only Intel executable in My ARM life. I will wait on the information. 

I love how everyone plays it down and act's cool saying oh i don't know etc etc, yet they use this forum and hundreds some thousands of posts. of course they are buying it it's probably pre ordered..

My answer is yes, i'm like that guy above i bought an Indian the other night it cost about the same price as this game. i won't be eating the leftovers for a year will i.. 

5 minutes ago, Druid DR said:

Then they should get rid of the graphics altogether if they're not important, and go back to a text based game.  But personally speaking the graphics become more and more important with every version of the game as there are only so many bells and whistles new features they can add each year to keep it interesting (and most of those are designed to make it even easier to beat the AI), so its about time they gave some love to the visual aspects of the game - especially if SI want their game to appeal to new players.  I still go back and play FM17 because it was visually the best version they ever released. I'd love FM22/23s engine and FM17s graphics.

Ironically they were on the right track with FM17s visuals and lighting, then FM18 happened and it took several steps back for some reason, and still hasn't recovered.. although last years was a bit better.

No one is asking for CoD or FIFA type graphics btw!

There would be several single-spaced A4 pages full of stuff I would rather they tackled before they even thought about how a match looks.

8 minutes ago, forameuss said:

There would be several single-spaced A4 pages full of stuff I would rather they tackled before they even thought about how a match looks.

To each their  own.  But Football Manager to me isn't just about stats and numbers on a screen.  I like all that stuff too, and look forward to the new features, but the bottom line for me is after all is said and done (buying players, making tactics, training etc), I like to watch the game unfold in 3D because what happens on the pitch is the pinnacle of everything that we do as managers during the build up to any particular match.  If you're the type of player that instant results or likes to skim though a season asap then I can understand why match graphics don't register.   But for those who like the match day experience as much as the stats and facts, and if the visuals are poor, then its a bit of an anti-climax.  Which is a shame, because like I said, at one time the visuals were pretty good.

Edited by Druid DR

2023 marks the 30th anniversary of me playing CM/FM. 

Though I think for the first time in about 20 years I did wonder whether I could afford it.  Back in 1993 CM cost £29.99 which was more than my monthly heating bill. In 2022 FM costs £45 and my monthly heating bill is £350. 
What a crazy world we live in. 

16 hours ago, Druid DR said:

To each their  own.  But Football Manager to me isn't just about stats and numbers on a screen.  I like all that stuff too, and look forward to the new features, but the bottom line for me is after all is said and done (buying players, making tactics, training etc), I like to watch the game unfold in 3D because what happens on the pitch is the pinnacle of everything that we do as managers during the build up to any particular match.  If you're the type of player that instant results or likes to skim though a season asap then I can understand why match graphics don't register.   But for those who like the match day experience as much as the stats and facts, and if the visuals are poor, then its a bit of an anti-climax.  Which is a shame, because like I said, at one time the visuals were pretty good.

Yes, to each their own, but if they announced tomorrow that they were putting a fully featured FIFA-style presentation on top of matches, it's going to be a superficial sticking plaster over the vast array of issues in the back-to-middle end. The AI is severely lacking in a number of places, the game is incredibly static with how it presents information, the match engine the visual representation would use creaks in places...I could go on.  It doesn't take a "type of player that instant results" to see that.

Edited by forameuss

18 hours ago, Druid DR said:

But the graphics that you are watching on match day are of no importance to the game play. The game play is dictated by all the other things you have listed (buying players, making tactics, training etc). The visuals are just a bonus to enhance your experience. 

I don’t think anyone would say we’re against the visuals being better but for people to come in here and say they won’t buy the game unless the graphics are better are missing the point of the game in my opinion.

But hey, 2D extended highlights player for life here :lol:

8 hours ago, Arijit said:

No, you have to use Rosetta for M1 Macs. It is confirmed in Steam discussion forum.

Bummer... genuine interest in how the game would run natively on M1 and M2.

SI, has few years to make native on Apple, until Apple pulls the plug on Rosetta 2.

2 hours ago, grade said:

Bummer... genuine interest in how the game would run natively on M1 and M2.

SI, has few years to make native on Apple, until Apple pulls the plug on Rosetta 2.

I know right? Looks like FM is the only Rosetta2 application that I'll still use.

32 minutes ago, daveh83 said:

What’s that mean. Am on m1 chip and I just plug n play from steam on my MacBook 

It is non-issue for most of the M1 Mac users. 

The new M1 MacBooks has ARM processor, so they only able to run an ARM based applications and FM is still x86 application. When Apple introduced new ARM Macs, they also introduced Rosetta2 emulation layer which allows intel/AMD version applications to run on ARM processor until developers update their applications to ARM version. The is invisible to end-user. That's why you never noticed the difference.

I am little disappointed that FM didn't update their Mac application version to Universal (supports both Intel + ARM) this year. Perhaps FM24 will have ARM native version. This is the only application in my Mac setup that needs Rosetta 2.

On 13/09/2022 at 15:54, Druid DR said:

Then they should get rid of the graphics altogether if they're not important, and go back to a text based game.  But personally speaking the graphics become more and more important with every version of the game as there are only so many bells and whistles new features they can add each year to keep it interesting (and most of those are designed to make it even easier to beat the AI), so its about time they gave some love to the visual aspects of the game - especially if SI want their game to appeal to new players.  I still go back and play FM17 because it was visually the best version they ever released. I'd love FM22/23s engine and FM17s graphics.

Ironically they were on the right track with FM17s visuals and lighting, then FM18 happened and it took several steps back for some reason, and still hasn't recovered.. although last years was a bit better.

No one is asking for CoD or FIFA type graphics btw!

Good point, as being a manager is about watching his team play and make decisions like subs and match tactics for the best chance to win so the graphics should be a big part of the game i hate it when people say it ain't about the graphics.

16 hours ago, JamieTC13 said:

Good point, as being a manager is about watching his team play and make decisions like subs and match tactics for the best chance to win so the graphics should be a big part of the game i hate it when people say it ain't about the graphics.

All of that can be done in 2D. You can see exactly where players are running to and how your formation performs without the use of 3D graphics.

Again, the "game play" is how you put your team together and the direction you point them in not how shiny the graphics are, they are a bonus.

57 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

All of that can be done in 2D. You can see exactly where players are running to and how your formation performs without the use of 3D graphics.

Again, the "game play" is how you put your team together and the direction you point them in not how shiny the graphics are, they are a bonus.

Managers in real life don't watch 2D 

1 hour ago, BayernMB said:

They also don't watch a 3D animation...

No but we do as an interpretation of real life . Dots on a screen is last centuries interpretation.  Old . Wont be long before it disappears from Football Manager 

Edited by prot651

2 hours ago, metallimuse said:

and what percentage of FM players do you suppose only play on 2D, and why would SI go to the expense and effort of developing a 3D engine.

2 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

and what percentage of FM players do you suppose only play on 2D, and why would SI go to the expense and effort of developing a 3D engine.

Because we would all like better graphics it’s the natural evolution but that isn’t the point.

This discussion is regarding people saying they wouldn’t buy the game again with the graphics the way they are now which it has been pointed out to them that the graphics aren’t the game play so it is a moot point to boycott the game for.

7 hours ago, metallimuse said:

2d, yeah managers watch their team that way don't they, why have 3d then, i don't think you know what you're talking about, as managing is exactly about watching your team play. Isn't it supposed to be a representation of real life.

Edited by JamieTC13

30 minutes ago, JamieTC13 said:

2d, yeah managers watch their team that way don't they, why have 3d then, i don't think you know what you're talking about, as managing is exactly about watching your team play. Isn't it supposed to be a representation of real life.

Exactly!

Yes the "game play" is the foundation for everything and the priority, but the match day experience - which is supposed to be the visual representation of that game play - is important to plenty of players, but sadly the visuals for it after FM17 took a big step back.    Hopefully SI will re-hire an art team for FM23 and get it back to how it once looked.

Edited by Druid DR

10 hours ago, JamieTC13 said:

:lol:

But it doesn't matter for the sake of the game if your players are doing step overs or Cruyff turns. All that matters to play the game is to see the formation shapes, the runs the players are making and where the ball is going. Everything else is just a bonus.

The point still stands that to not buy the game due to graphics is missing the point of the game entirely. 

8 hours ago, metallimuse said:

:lol:

But it doesn't matter for the sake of the game if your players are doing step overs or Cruyff turns. All that matters to play the game is to see the formation shapes, the runs the players are making and where the ball is going. Everything else is just a bonus.

The point still stands that to not buy the game due to graphics is missing the point of the game entirely. 

I think you're missing the point. Animations aren't only limited to specific player  animations or special moves.

The graphics isn't as important but investing in it means more realistic representation of the match engine which objectively improves every single player's experience.

There are browser and mobile games with graphics 10x that of FM. For me, in today's world, with unreal engines and what not, to stick to what they re using to support specs from 15 years ago is just mind boggling.

Look at the above video with FM 11. Can you really say today s version showcases a 11 year evolution of the graphics engine? Can you really say you see 11 years worth of difference? I honestly honestly can't .

4 hours ago, saiyaman said:

which objectively improves every single player's experience.

Completely false.  It's subjective, at best.  As previously stated, if they turned around in 23 and gave an absolutely impeccable visual representation, what sits behind it would still be as sterile, static and severely lacking as always, and my experience would be unchanged.  Having a poor quality meal out doesn't suddenly get better because I'm wearing a suit and they've put the food on a fancy plate.

4 hours ago, Lexis said:

There are browser and mobile games with graphics 10x that of FM. For me, in today's world, with unreal engines and what not, to stick to what they re using to support specs from 15 years ago is just mind boggling.

Look at the above video with FM 11. Can you really say today s version showcases a 11 year evolution of the graphics engine? Can you really say you see 11 years worth of difference? I honestly honestly can't .

It's far easier to build a graphics engine around a series of scripted sequences that you get in mobile games than it is around the far more sophisticated match engine FM has.  Could they be doing better?  Probably.  But it remains a terrible comparison to draw.

On 16/09/2022 at 06:01, metallimuse said:

This discussion is regarding people saying they wouldn’t buy the game again with the graphics the way they are now which it has been pointed out to them that the graphics aren’t the game play so it is a moot point to boycott the game for.

The UI and UX is a big part of the playing experience though and the graphics and presentation of the UI is very outdated now and needs a complete revamp. I still love the game but feel Excel has more stylisation than FM. 

Well I can only say that if there isn't a marked improvement in the graphics section like stadiums and pitch etc I won't be making a purchase . There is enough micro management now that if there was any more it will become even more labouress and less fun . While the pre editor and game editor could do with upgrades the game itself is good on a management level but saying that we could do with a better media experience or in some cases less media. The standard kits are awful and I know there licenced but a better kit editor is needed.  A stadium editor is urgently needed too . These things are not that hard to implement as cheaper games have them alot . Seems like the game is going to be just a database upgrade . The colours of the game already seem the same and you can go on blaming Covid either.  Fm21 to FM22 was not much different that I could see . Only the match engine seemed to be different.  

Edited by prot651