FMM 21 - Playing vs 4-2-3-1 issue (mediocre teams)

I can't seem to deal with opponents who play 4-2-3-1, because my players blatantly ignore instructions and lack the ability to intuit that letting your opponent's number 9 streak up the middle of your defense unmarked is stupid.

I know part of the problem is that I use the high press, but in my experience doing anything else will turn my defenders into casual observers of the game. If I run a back 4, the striker will usually find himself completely unmarked between my two center backs. I've tried setting one to man mark and one to be the sweeper, but the sweeper instruction does nothing I can discern (again, might conflict wit the high press) and center backs who are off center and assigned to man marking apparently can't fathom that their man might be the opposing striker, whom they'll happily ignore. Instead one of them will go close down the opposing AMC, while the other one watches placidly as the opposing striker gleefully sweeps into the vacant space and slots home the ensuing 1v1.

In a back three, you would think that the center DC with the instruction to man mark might consider it HIS job to stay with the opposing 9, but no, the AMC receives the ball, the man marking DC immediately abandons the 9, closes down the AMC, the other two DCs wave their pom poms while covering their empty zones as the ST zips through for some alone time with the keeper.

But surely, you think, adding an anchor man in front of the back three, to deal with this pesky AMC, would help? Of course not, because he'll go double team an MC or a winger, leaving the AMC open, and you know the rest.

WTF can I do? I can't set all 3 DCs to man mark, as I need them to deal with wingers cutting in. It should be an unoccupied DC who steps up and closes down the AMC. Any suggestions on how to make this seemingly simple adjustment? I really even hate to move someone to DMC as a back 3 should have no trouble with the 9/10 combo, providing I control the wingers with my wide backs.