How to make Fulham purr?

Im Fulham in the Championship, first season, 433 formation, no OIs. Rightback pass less risky (he then plays short possession balls into the forward ahead of him, Wilson)

Tactics:

Slot 1 Attacking with balanced tempo and passing

Slot 2 more Positive with shorter passing and slower tempo.

I switch between the two during a game, going to Positive if the other team start to get too many chances.

We are the strongest team in the division along with Bournemouth. We rate 1st/2nd in the division for things like First Touch, Composure, Pace, Acceleration, Technique, Passing, Agility, Flair, Long shots.

Its March and Ive been top and on long winning runs, but now Ive dropped to second.

We should be blowing teams away, but Ive found I usually end up winning 1-0, or 2-0 at best.

Goals from penalties or corners, long shots, or mistakes by opposition.

Im not scoring enough goals from open play, good moves being finished off with the opposition being unable to stop it. I do construct a few good passing moves, but they always end with a miss or a save.

I often end up getting bogged down by the corner flag, closely pressed, with short passing that takes a long time to escape that area, all the momentum lost.

Feels like options are limited up front when looking for key passes. But if I sacrifice a DM for an extra forward, Ill concede many more chances.

And although I create chances I rarely finish them, even with a good xg. There tend to be a large quantity of low/medium xg chances, rather than major xg chances.

Opposition will create a few good chances but miss them typically.

If I didnt have a great CB (good premier league level) winning everything in the air, they would probably score more.

What am I doing wrong?

I feel especially Mitrovic and Wilson and Carvalho are not functioning as well as they could be. They are top players but are only just 'doing OK'.

And the AP, he seems to perform basically, is the lack of Killer Balls Trait ruining it?

0fm.png

1fm.png

2fm.png

3fm.png

4fm.png

5fm.png

6fm.png

7fm.png

8fm.png

9fm.png

10fm.png

11fm.png

12fm.png

13fm.png

Edited by 2feet

Hey @2feet! I don't think you're a million miles away with either set up to be honest

Fulham are a fun save but like you say, there are other strong teams in the Championship too so the league's not as easy to run away with as Fulham have in real life

I'll offer a few tips that might help you out as I feel you can get more out of both setups 

1) For TI's, I'd lose the High Lines and Prevent short GK dist. The Attacking mentality already comes with high lines and like you say you're creating low XG chances, scoring from set pieces etc, sometimes you need to give the other team a little room to breathe. Pushing them back and trying to force things can lead to low scoring chances and a lot of forced corners and free kicks

Mitovic is a fantastic DLF :thup: I'd just adjust the roles around him a little. I feel Wilson could be an IF(A) as the DLF isn't an out and scoring focused role and the IF(A) is very aggressive from wide. In CM I'd have the Mezz(A) on the opposite side of midfield to the the IF(A), plus Mezz(A) and W(S) is a great partnership. I'd probably simplify the fullback roles as your midfield and forward roles will provide plenty of running. Something like :

DL(A)

W(S)                               IF(A)

Mezz(A)  AP(S)

DM(D/S)

FB(S/A) BPD(D) CD(D)  FB(A)

Some duties would be flexible, if the left FB's on Attack I'd have the DM on Defend so he can sit infront of the defence and allow the Fullbacks forward, if the FB's on Support, I'd probably have him on support as only one Fullback's keep to get forward and he can help out more in midfield

2)  Same again, I'd take out a little of the out of possession aggression. I'm not sure on the Counter Press on either setup, it's very aggressive so use that as you see fit

For the roles, I wouldn't change as much here, just the left IF to Attack if the DLF's going to be on Support. The WB's here should get plenty of chances to overlap and provide width 

OK thanks, ill try this.

Ive started to lose a lot more now that my super CB has been injured.

Also, how do you work this all out?

There seem to be so many combinations of roles, its dizzying.

Id like to be able to solve these problems myself but when I look up roles I quickly get bogged down and confused.

42 minutes ago, 2feet said:

Also, how do you work this all out?

Just trying to think who's going to be going forward on an attack, where on the pitch they're likely to be and who's going to want to get back, who covers who, who supports who, covering as many channels as possible etc

Then balancing things up, like Wing backs and Wingers gives you 4 wing runners, could be too many for how you want to play, a possession system may not want any roles that stay wide where a team with a Target Man may benefit from the width and crosses . A BPD, DLP, IF, AP, CF and DLF is 6 roles that play risky passes which could be too many for many tactics but for a team playing a slow tempo possession may need more players passing into space to offer some goal threat

It's just about trying to balance things up for your team 

42 minutes ago, 2feet said:

Id like to be able to solve these problems myself but when I look up roles I quickly get bogged down and confused.

Just stick with the simple roles then, nothing wrong with that and can bring a lot of success. You'll see how they interact, you can then tweak things and start to bring in more demanding roles  

The Pairs and combinations guide is a good one to have a read through a couple of times :thup:

I'd say the right hand side of your tactic is quite open so in the first tactic it's going to be easily exploited by counter attacks.

I kind of feel that switching between these two are quite big contrasts in styles and I wonder if it's really needed? I'd stick to one mentality and then a playing style using as minimal TI's as possible. Usually then you can tweak a few instructions and roles to make it more or less direct.

I think you've made the right decision in focusing around Wilson, Mitro and Fabio. I would've probably done the same myself but I would've probably had Carvalho as the runner from midfield. Him and Wilson running beyond Mitro sounds really dangerous and would cause problems for most teams in the Championship. You have a few players that could slot in on the left wing that are decent enough for the Championship, maybe not for the Prem but that could easily be fixed later.

On 27/04/2022 at 09:43, Johnny Ace said:

Hey @2feet! I don't think you're a million miles away with either set up to be honest

Fulham are a fun save but like you say, there are other strong teams in the Championship too so the league's not as easy to run away with as Fulham have in real life

I'll offer a few tips that might help you out as I feel you can get more out of both setups 

1) For TI's, I'd lose the High Lines and Prevent short GK dist. The Attacking mentality already comes with high lines and like you say you're creating low XG chances, scoring from set pieces etc, sometimes you need to give the other team a little room to breathe. Pushing them back and trying to force things can lead to low scoring chances and a lot of forced corners and free kicks

Mitovic is a fantastic DLF :thup: I'd just adjust the roles around him a little. I feel Wilson could be an IF(A) as the DLF isn't an out and scoring focused role and the IF(A) is very aggressive from wide. In CM I'd have the Mezz(A) on the opposite side of midfield to the the IF(A), plus Mezz(A) and W(S) is a great partnership. I'd probably simplify the fullback roles as your midfield and forward roles will provide plenty of running. Something like :

DL(A)

W(S)                               IF(A)

Mezz(A)  AP(S)

DM(D/S)

FB(S/A) BPD(D) CD(D)  FB(A)

Some duties would be flexible, if the left FB's on Attack I'd have the DM on Defend so he can sit infront of the defence and allow the Fullbacks forward, if the FB's on Support, I'd probably have him on support as only one Fullback's keep to get forward and he can help out more in midfield

2)  Same again, I'd take out a little of the out of possession aggression. I'm not sure on the Counter Press on either setup, it's very aggressive so use that as you see fit

For the roles, I wouldn't change as much here, just the left IF to Attack if the DLF's going to be on Support. The WB's here should get plenty of chances to overlap and provide width 

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

I tried the changes above and they worked a treat.

I had felt that my Wingbacks could do with coming inside more but wasnt sure how to do it.

Change WB player instructions? or change to FB?

Also, there were Wingbacks in the template for Controlled possession so I assumed thats what should be there.

Its strange how my fullbacks are much more infield and involved in the play now, they are even taking shots.

I always assumed a more attacking player would be a wingback not a fullback. I still think of Gary Neville when I hear the word fullback.

It would be great if there was a way of experimenting with the roles... do you organise friendlies to do this?

8 hours ago, 2feet said:

I had felt that my Wingbacks could do with coming inside more but wasnt sure how to do it.

Change WB player instructions? or change to FB?

Wingbacks will mainly stay wide while FB's don't have that instruction, FB's this year seem really fluid (at least in the set ups I play) and will drift inside where with a WB not so much 

8 hours ago, 2feet said:

Also, there were Wingbacks in the template for Controlled possession so I assumed thats what should be there.

The templates aren't perfect but what is in FM? I agree, I don't feel Wingbacks are possession friendly roles, staying wide and dribbling aren't what I'd use for possession, they're anti possession instructions

8 hours ago, 2feet said:

Its strange how my fullbacks are much more infield and involved in the play now, they are even taking shots.

You've noted it too then :thup:

8 hours ago, 2feet said:

It would be great if there was a way of experimenting with the roles... do you organise friendlies to do this?

You can export your team into vs mode, it can be a great little playground for testing/ seeing how things work