FM22 - Fast Counter Tactic

I just can´t manage it. Anyone here who managed to create a working counter tactic? In which the ball is quickly transported forward after winning the ball? 
The formation wouldn't be that important to me, although a tactic with 3 or 5 players in the defensive line would be nice. 
I hope everything is easy to understand, as English is not my mother tongue.
Thanks in advance.

You can search for "The Art of Counter Attacking" from @Cleon in this forum, but i think you should post more information like formation, which team you're playing, your players, how do you compare with the oppossition, etc.

With that info it would be easier to help you.

7 hours ago, Muffi77 said:

I just can´t manage it. Anyone here who managed to create a working counter tactic? In which the ball is quickly transported forward after winning the ball?

While reading the guides which are posted by other players, I would think about if the other teams do actually move up the pitch quite enough to open up space behind their lines.

This is very important as your attackers will be very much outnumbered and isolated if the other teams stays rather compact in their own half.

Some other basic advise for fast transitions: 

Have players in front of the ball who immediately transition into attack after possession is won (Usually attack duty strikers / wing players)

allow your players a direct passing style to some degree (can be standard)

ask your players to make quick decisions which requires a higher tempo

if you look for playmaker roles, make sure they are positioned higher on the pitch. Otherwise they might tend to slow down the play. 

5 hours ago, Muffi77 said:

Thank you, the guide is great, in German I would say "it opened my eyes". Now, I am trying to make it work with a 5-3-1-1 Formation.

Post a screenshot when you come up with something and let us know how it gets on. 

3 minutes ago, Muffi77 said:

Here is my new tactic.

I'm glad it's working for you. Are your transitions fast enough on cautious mentality? 

And I apologize but my German is a little rusty, have you tried the ball winning midfielder (right central midfielder) on support instead of defend? 

As time goes on you may notice teams getting space in front if your CBs. If you do you can move your defensive line to standard and that should help with that. 

vor 39 Minuten schrieb prched55:

I'm glad it's working for you. Are your transitions fast enough on cautious mentality? 

Sometimes, do you think, I should try it on positive mentality?

vor 39 Minuten schrieb prched55:

And I apologize but my German is a little rusty, have you tried the ball winning midfielder (right central midfielder) on support instead of defend? 

No, but I will try it.

vor 40 Minuten schrieb prched55:

As time goes on you may notice teams getting space in front if your CBs. If you do you can move your defensive line to standard and that should help with that. 

Thank you, I´ll keep that in mind.

23 horas atrás, prched55 disse:

Here are a couple threads to help: 

This thread in particular no disrespect to the other youve shown, made me a counter attack god, i have my two cents to add right with a tactic show case to illustrate - follow the role guide he mentioned of 1-offensive pivot -usually your striker that does two things it drags the defence apart and and if its a good player like harry kane in real life he can become just an artist that does not only finish chances but create tons. 2 thing have to attack duties that have drible more like this thread says , they are the ball carriers your most talented dribblers but i avoid making both my wingers that role 3 have a good supporting cast what i mean by that his support duties with pi get futher foward you only need 1 or two of those no more than that. and to finalize i have my own version witch plays a high line and presses agressively but transitions on the counter quickly dispite being so high up on the pitch and ill show you .

1 the offensive pivot - DLF No Pi's

2- Ball Carriers IF(A) and AP(A) -PI's AP-Get further foward

3- Supporting cast -IW(s) -BBM(s) PI- Get further Foward 

4-I did not mention this but its quite useful to have a dlp that can spray a ball from deep areas-PI take more risk -more direct passing 

This is super agressive but ive also made more conservative pure counter attacking tactics basically employing the same principles but with deeper formation

image.png.0cb39c8663337d0bd2e486d0de211af6.png

2 hours ago, Strikerir1 said:

This thread in particular no disrespect to the other youve shown, made me a counter attack god, i have my two cents to add right with a tactic show case to illustrate - follow the role guide he mentioned of 1-offensive pivot -usually your striker that does two things it drags the defence apart and and if its a good player like harry kane in real life he can become just an artist that does not only finish chances but create tons. 2 thing have to attack duties that have drible more like this thread says , they are the ball carriers your most talented dribblers but i avoid making both my wingers that role 3 have a good supporting cast what i mean by that his support duties with pi get futher foward you only need 1 or two of those no more than that. and to finalize i have my own version witch plays a high line and presses agressively but transitions on the counter quickly dispite being so high up on the pitch and ill show you .

1 the offensive pivot - DLF No Pi's

2- Ball Carriers IF(A) and AP(A) -PI's AP-Get further foward

3- Supporting cast -IW(s) -BBM(s) PI- Get further Foward 

4-I did not mention this but its quite useful to have a dlp that can spray a ball from deep areas-PI take more risk -more direct passing 

This is super agressive but ive also made more conservative pure counter attacking tactics basically employing the same principles but with deeper formation

image.png.0cb39c8663337d0bd2e486d0de211af6.png

how the results doing for you?

21 horas atrás, halfspace3000 disse:

how the results doing for you?

I mostly play online against op downloaded tactics but I win anyways, as for my personal Save I started from 0 unemployed and I'm currently in 2034 with Chelsea after winning many cups results are awesome and the counters are magical and went unbeaten with this 4231 with my previous club benfica 

Edited by Strikerir1

On 26/04/2022 at 15:14, Muffi77 said:
The formation wouldn't be that important to me, although a tactic with 3 or 5 players in the defensive line would be nice. 
I hope everything is easy to understand, as English is not my mother tongue.
Thanks in advance.

It depends what sort of counter tactic you want. I see it as two types.

1. the Alex Ferguson's Man United / Klopp's Liverpool.

Counters in this tactic are used as an extra tool in a generally attacking team that can score in many ways. Normally teams would actively press to force turnovers and usually leave a couple players forward free of defensive duties to immidiately turn defence into attack.

2. Simeone's big game plan

Usually these teams use counters as their only method or attack. Or at least they will only take greater risks when a counter opportunity arises. Outside of these opportunities. the team will generally stay in a mid / low block, and wait for the opposition to make a mistake and overcommit instead of actively pressing. Only one player is normally left forward in these situations, to prioritise defensive stability,

no.1 has already been covered in this thread but tbh I think the most important factor (as long as you have a positive+ mentality and the counter TI ticked) is player acqusition. You need physical players who can run into open space and dribble with the ball without being muscled off. think Gareth Bale, Ronaldo etc.

No.2 Is more about defending properly and hoping for a counter as a bonus. I would only really use this tactic as part of an overall game plan when I'm not expecting to win the game, along with other more positive tactics. I talked about how I approach it here:

I was inspired to reply here after a beautiful chance I just created when using my no.2 strategy.

image.gif.1415f8dcffa544be5798293f2900daa4.gif

• We stay narrow and compact without rushing out to close down oppositon players. Instead we wait for a careless pass
  • Only our striker is relieved of defensive responsibilites. His role is to collect clearances and hold up the ball for onrushing midfielders.
  • Despite only having one attack duty (#20, striker), using the counter TI and cautious mentality allows support duty midfielders, and even our defend duty DM, to rush forward ahead of our striker.

Tactic below:

image.png.da8aa744c8b05dc9847daf1bf983b85f.png

Edited by Jack722

Not usually my kind of style, but as I have 2 very pacey strikers (for the league standard) I wanted to try it out. I started with a classic 4-4-2 (GK, FBs, CDd, CDd, FBs, Ws, BWMs, DLPs, Ws, AFa, DLFa). First with a stronger presence upfront so he could receive the ball and pass it to the striker or any other incoming player. No PIs, TIs included attacking mentality, pass into space, more direct, higher tempo, standard width (a bit narrower than attacking default), early crosses, be more disciplined, regroup, counter, lower LOE, standard DL, tight marking, get stuck in.

I scored first, but didn't feel the team was defending well. Mostly their wingbacks were playing with too much space. Decided to add PIs to wingers: Mark Specific Player (Right Back and Left Back). DPL wasn't working so I decided to change him to RPM so he roamed a bit. Also changed BWMs to BWMd so he held his position. In the meanwhile they scored from a set-piece.

Was losing many long balls so I decided to make a change based on a specific player I have. He is a 193 cm winger with good passing so I moved him to Winger and changed his role to WTMs. Asked keeper to play directly to him. We scored from a long ball to the back of the defence and a long shot from the RPM.

Then swapped the DLFa for the other fast striker and changed him to AFa as well. Both strikers combined to score the 4-1.

This was only one game and I'll probably test this a bit more, but my take on this: as for every tactic, I like having the right personnel to do it. Having good cbs to play a good long ball behind the defence helps; having two men upfront running towards the opposition goal is a big threat, this leaves the centre of the pitch for 2 players so be sure they can hold the midfield; wingers marking full backs seems important. I would like to have 4+4 (defenders and midfielders) players with high passing, work rate, strength, anticipation, concentration; then 2 players upfront with pace, agility, acceleration, off the ball, anticipation, balance and some finishing helps. I'm not sure about the need for a TM or a WTM but it helps getting the ball upfront.