Weaker teams causing trouble in build-up play with their Gegenpressing...

I am playing a 433 formation, Control Mentality with play out from the back. Two CBs, one iwb(s), one wb(a), cdm(d), mez(a), and cm(s).

It is working very great, however, in the last games, I have noticed that life becomes very hard against the bottom sides, not because they are parking the bus, but rather going full gegenpressing, especially when they play 4231. Judging based on the highlights, I have difficulties to build up the play from the back, as my CBs or GK just play the ball forward blindly due to the early pressure... Surprisingly, I do not have this issue against bigger teams (playing with Brighton). How can I solve this? I am scared to remove that play out from the back instruction as I fear that my players would then just go full route-one... How can I solve that issue? Appreciate any help.

2 minutes ago, kalongtongan said:

what are the instructions in your transition on TI?

Usually what I do is hold the shape, and increase the tempo 1 notch

Sweeper Keeper (d), roll it out to CBs and FBs, counter pressing and thats it.

12 minutes ago, goku4 said:

Sweeper Keeper (d), roll it out to CBs and FBs, counter pressing and thats it.

try my way, hope it works for you. Added hold position instructions make your players prioritize possession first to give other players back to their position rather than making careless counters and passing mistakes, high tempo your players will think faster to make decisions when opponents are presing, at least your players will choose a safer pass because your players don't want to rush to counter. you can still select the counterpress or remove it.

Edited by kalongtongan

20 minutes ago, kalongtongan said:

try my way, hope it works for you. Added hold position instructions make your players prioritize possession first to give other players back to their position rather than making careless counters and passing mistakes, high tempo your players will think faster to make decisions when opponents are presing, at least your players will choose a safer pass because your players don't want to rush to counter. you can still select the counterpress or remove it.

So would you recommend higher tempo or lower tempo? Did not get it :(

29 minutes ago, goku4 said:

So would you recommend higher tempo or lower tempo? Did not get it :(

high tempo, it will make your players think faster when making decisions if pressed. hold shape makes your players pass safer than directly counter. it will make the opponent tired and make a wrong position. have you tried it? How is the result.

that's what I usually do when facing opponents who play gengenpress like Liverpool.

Edited by kalongtongan

I never get pressed because I've set my distribution to full backs only + fast distribution + throw it long. It's very difficult to lose possesion this way, even if you are being pressed properly. Keeper must have good throwing but that is not rare to find.

The other way forward is to lean into it. Tell your players to dribble more. Their garbage players, particularly the attackers, will rack up yellow (and then red) cards, forcing them to back off sooner rather than hamper your play throughout the game. Dangerous if their forwards are good at tackling, but they rarely are.

Always easier if you post your tactic.  But generally, there are different ways to combat this.  As @Prepper_Jacksuggested, if you have players who have really good dribble/flair/acc/agi, they can probably beat their opponent on the ball which will create opportunities or get your opponent in yellow-card trouble. 

Another standard approach, particularly if a few of your attackers have good acc/ant/otb is to play a little wider, pass a little more direct, counter and remove 'play out of defense'.  It's harder for inferior teams to press superior athletes who are further apart.  Yes, your possession numbers might suffer but you will create some good chances.  For example, if you have a wingback with great acceleration, maybe counter and focus play towards his side and switch your striker from F9 to poacher (if that applies).  Good if you have one or two forwards playing off the shoulder of the backline.    

Also, check the stamina levels of your opponent.  If they are not especially high, their players will tire quickly, and you should be able to work them in the last 30 minutes.