[Discussion] Ability to send scouts on intensive language courses for foreign languages

Bojanbbz94

When foreign staff arrive at your club you can, of course, send them on an intensive language course to learn the local language. I've often felt that the inability to get staff to learn foreign languages is a missing feature, though.

If I have, for example, a English scout who could only speak English, I would never send them to South America or to a Francophile African country, no matter how high their adaptability is. It is always just easier to hire a scout who already speaks Spanish and send them to South America, even if their scouting stats are lower. 
It's how I've always played the game, since I started playing in FM13. Maybe I'd feel differently about that if I was able to send a scout on Spanish and Portuguese language courses while they were posted in Argentina and Brazil, and have them learn a new language within the course of a few months.

To a certain extent, I'd always favour sending people to places they always have knowledge of and that wouldn't change anyway. I favour sending an Argentinian scout to S. America than I would a Spanish national with no knowledge of S. America; I'd always prefer (where possible) to send a half-decent Senegalese scout to Senegal than I would a good French scout who doesn't have any knowledge of Senegal.

But I'd still be interested in being able to send scouts on language courses. Maybe it would be a way for clubs with very limited world knowledge (and hence limited knowledge of foreign staff) to build up their capability as the board allows a bigger and bigger scouting range.

It needs a bit of thought, of course. E.g. I don't think it would feel very realistic to be able hire a monolingual scout in their 40s but have them suddenly a polyglot within three or four years by sending them them on consecutive intensive language courses in four or five languages one after another. But an arbitrary cap on how many languages a staff member can learn doesn't feel like an elegant solution when it's not particularly rare irl for well-travelled players to speak four or five languages by the time they retire (or more for players like Lukaku, Seedorf or Ibrahimović).

• 6 months later...