4-4-2 tactic help~

Hello everyone, this is my Man Utd tactic and best starting 11.

Given the players I had, I want to replicate the Arsenal invincible season in 2003-04.

But the results are just so-so, not that sharp in the attacking end. Is there something I can improve?

Here are the PIs:

IW(at): Sit narrow, mark tighter

W(su): Get further forward, mark tighter

BBM: Get further forward, cross less

LWB(su): Cross more often, cross from byline

CD and BPD: Close down less

tactic.JPGdata.JPG

Edited by giggsxbr

I don´t see any glaring issues on this tactic - nothing to worry too much about. Maybe you could test some tactical tweaks/ideas:

• Put the F9 on the left and the Poacher on the right. This way the F9 would play on the space vacated by the DLP-D, the IW-At would attack that space and the WB-Su would have a nice space to run on the left flank, creating some nice and good movement. And the Winger and BBM would play on the space vacated by the Poacher.
  • I would change the WB-Su to an FB-Su on the right. You already have a BBM and a Winger moving upfront so no need to have a very adventurous fullback there. If you really want a WB on that side, maybe a WB-D would fit your system more.
  • I also would consider removing the Overlap Left - test the tactic without it. Overlaps can be nice, but they tend to slow the game a bit and it seems to me that you want to play a fast, quick attacking football, so it may slow your transitions more than it would be desirable. Also the WB-Su and IW-At create a natural overlap so, if overlaps are not part of your overall attacking strategy (like they would on a Wing Play system), I think the TI does not make much sense.

In general the report says that you are performing well, so I would not change things too much in order to improve your system on a natural way instead of making it worse. Test these changes, see if things improve, than you can consider more tweaks if really necessary.

Agree with Tsuru's points, especially with the Poacher - F9 swap, so that you can utilize space a bit more efficiently. On the left, I currently see a big gap between your DLPde and Poacher, and on the right you seem to have F9 dropping into the same space BBM is trying to occupy.

Regarding your right WB, switching him to IWBsu could be a shout, since you already have Rashford keeping width on that side.

10 小时前, Tsuru说:

I don´t see any glaring issues on this tactic - nothing to worry too much about. Maybe you could test some tactical tweaks/ideas:

• Put the F9 on the left and the Poacher on the right. This way the F9 would play on the space vacated by the DLP-D, the IW-At would attack that space and the WB-Su would have a nice space to run on the left flank, creating some nice and good movement. And the Winger and BBM would play on the space vacated by the Poacher.
  • I would change the WB-Su to an FB-Su on the right. You already have a BBM and a Winger moving upfront so no need to have a very adventurous fullback there. If you really want a WB on that side, maybe a WB-D would fit your system more.
  • I also would consider removing the Overlap Left - test the tactic without it. Overlaps can be nice, but they tend to slow the game a bit and it seems to me that you want to play a fast, quick attacking football, so it may slow your transitions more than it would be desirable. Also the WB-Su and IW-At create a natural overlap so, if overlaps are not part of your overall attacking strategy (like they would on a Wing Play system), I think the TI does not make much sense.

In general the report says that you are performing well, so I would not change things too much in order to improve your system on a natural way instead of making it worse. Test these changes, see if things improve, than you can consider more tweaks if really necessary.

The F9 will roam from position, so I don't know whether he would occupy the space that allow the IW to cut inside.

Thanks for your advises and I'll definitely try them.

And one more thing, in the team analytics, the "Tackles Won Ration" is not good. Is there anything I can do?

Posted (edited)
11 小时前, Zemahh说:

Agree with Tsuru's points, especially with the Poacher - F9 swap, so that you can utilize space a bit more efficiently. On the left, I currently see a big gap between your DLPde and Poacher, and on the right you seem to have F9 dropping into the same space BBM is trying to occupy.

Regarding your right WB, switching him to IWBsu could be a shout, since you already have Rashford keeping width on that side.

Thanks for reply.

But I'm not a fan of IWB, maybe I can tick the sit narrow TI for the right WB? 

Edited by giggsxbr

16 hours ago, giggsxbr said:

Hello everyone, this is my Man Utd tactic and best starting 11.

Given the players I had, I want to replicate the Arsenal invincible season in 2003-04.

But the results are just so-so, not that sharp in the attacking end. Is there something I can improve?

Here are the PIs:

IW(at): Sit narrow, mark tighter

W(su): Get further forward, mark tighter

BBM: Get further forward, cross less

LWB(su): Cross more often, cross from byline

CD and BPD: Close down less

tactic.JPGdata.JPG

Sorry to go off topic, but what skin is that?

The font instantly sent me back to an old FM

Posted (edited)
1 小时前, Mr_Demus说:

Sorry to go off topic, but what skin is that?

The font instantly sent me back to an old FM

It's the default skin with my own font. I can share it if you like.

Edited by giggsxbr

6 horas atrás, giggsxbr disse:

The F9 will roam from position, so I don't know whether he would occupy the space that allow the IW to cut inside.

Thanks for your advises and I'll definitely try them.

And one more thing, in the team analytics, the "Tackles Won Ration" is not good. Is there anything I can do?

I believe that the F9 will focus on retreating and being a kind of Advanced Playmaker that starts on striker position, so I think he will roam after this movement. But I am not completely sure.

FM is not so clear about this analytics reports, but I would guess that this tackles ratio could be a result of different things. Maybe your players have low attributes related to tackles, or maybe your defensive strategy is too aggressive and they are doing many mistaken tackles. Or maybe your team is not compact enough. I would suggest not focusing too much on this for now, I think this is something very complicated to arrange.

Results look good!  I don't know how you're performing in your save but you're scoring 2.4/game: IRL in the EPL, only Liverpool exceeds that at 2.59.

You allow 0.47/game:  IRL, ManC leads the EPL at 0.62.

Are you, like ManU IRL, having trouble against the better teams?  If so, I think that your problem is more with personnel and where you are playing them.  For example, Pogba makes a great IW(a) and Bruno can be a great F9, but as you have set up, you have no creativity in the middle of the pitch.  Matic is old and very slow, with abysmal flair, terrible otb and only average vision and decisions.  McTominay has terrible vision and flair, mediocre dribbling, composure and decisions and only average passing and anticipation.  That's why ManU plays Pogba and/or Bruno in the midfield.

This problem is exacerbated if a good team presses you (just like for ManU irl).  Your backline is not great on the ball or passing, so if the other team cuts off the outlet to Pogba, who else can get the ball upfield?  Your defenders are not good enough to make those amazing, long passes to Bruno, plus you are using POOD and distribute to your backs.  IRL, when Pogba was out, ManU had no ability to play out of defense.

Rashford is an okay W(s) but I think better on attack, so he can run in behind, and cutting inside.  Rashford and Pogba are awful markers so 'tight marking' could backfire.

One more thing:  you have 'pass into space' and 'higher tempo' but only 2 players on attack duties, and Pogba's role (IW) is more to receive the ball on the wing then attack. 

So no one besides CR7 is trying to attack open space, especially behind.  He must love this tactic!

Henry, a poacher?? Both of Arsenal attackers were on a support role I think, no one was spearheading. I would go for this (without TI, I'm just showing the shape):

Arsenal formation?

Edited by Poison

29 minutes ago, Poison said:

Henry, a poacher?? Both of Arsenal attackers were on a support role I think, no one was spearheading. I would go for this (without TI, I'm just showing the shape):

Arsenal formation?

Yes your right Henry wasn't a poacher but the thought of both attackers on support isn't right and neither the tactic. 

On 29/03/2022 at 15:21, giggsxbr said:

But the results are just so-so, not that sharp in the attacking end.

I remember that I did use an F9 in a 442 and while it isn't wrong you can fall short as the Poacher doesn't roam or move into channels. Referencing how Arsenal played you need roles that will run off your F9 and therefore consider using a WM since a W on the right side will mostly run down the line but you need a role that you can tweak so he can make perfect runs of the F9 , score when required and be at the right place at the right time. Also the Poacher role makes sense for Ronaldo but for a forward that roamed around and create a lot of space and havoc, should use an (AF+ roam from position) or CF on attack to replicate Henry. For Ronaldo, AF isn't bad and is the closest role to Poacher. 

Edited by De Nile

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this is awkward... :D 

20220417205723_1.jpg.0cfe1fb6ccdbdcde551e60452ade1576.jpg20220417210221_1.jpg.3855129079bc2fc6b39577af3553a315.jpg

This is my Man Utd setup, with just one wing back, swapped duties on the wingers and similar roles for the strikers. My player instructions mostly revolve around giving the IW(s) playmaking directions and the wingers and strikers to close down more and tackle hard (I got 3 wingers in the top 20 in the Premier League with the highest tackle/game ratios, doesn't work that well on Ronaldo as he's on the top 20 for most fouls :))

However, I dipped in heavily on the transfer market (also this save was initiated on patch 22.1, some players are slightly better and Greenwood is around too)

In the first transfer window I've showed the exit to

- Pogba (poor attitude and consistency. and he would never get ahead of B. Fernandes as my IW)

- Martial (poor determination and work rate, 2 atributes I cherish immensely)

- Phil Jones, Matic and Mata (no future here, only got money for Jones as I wanted to clear the wage bill)

With the budget left I wanted to strenghten the area that Man Utd lacks quality the most, even in real life, the Midfield

- Franck Kessie (relatively cheap as he's on his last year of contract, physically and mentally powerfull, can play both roles on midfield)

- Joao Palhinha (a bit slow, but he's big, strong, hardworking and clever, the DM role in midfield is his)

- Carlos Soler (only one attribute below 10, marking. He's above average on everything else and he's hardworking. He's also versatile, he can relieve Bruno on the IW role, he can replace Kessie on the BBM role and he's also a very effective winger)

I'm not here to offer tactical advice, I barely know what I'm doing half the time, but I found that in my case, using the market to get hardworking players and good personalities around the squad is highly beneficial, they can win games for you on sheer will that sometimes tactics are unable to.

Edited by Canalma

On 17/04/2022 at 13:32, Canalma said:

I'm not here to offer tactical advice, I barely know what I'm doing half the time, but I found that in my case, using the market to get hardworking players and good personalities around the squad is highly beneficial, they can win games for you on sheer will that sometimes tactics are unable to.

Yeah, I think that FM22 really stresses player and squad character.  With a team full of high Determination/Leadership players, I have had a lot of comeback victories and have little trouble holding onto leads.

No way to test this but I have a suspicion that a lot of people who complain about "getting FM'ed" too often, have players who are weak characters.  But I wouldn't be surprised either if a bunch of people can post completely opposite examples.

Edited by glengarry224