This game is causing me mental issues. I am just going crazy... What am I doing wrong?

Just waiting for the smartass who will tell me that it is my tactics and the way how I create chances... I think, one picture tells more than thousand words... All in one season...

image.thumb.png.00c1c481c35588e7c9112194c4f8ec64.png

image.thumb.png.c4347510b3db1e4ff4d35637f81fda29.png

image.thumb.png.3ec4200daa2a265c9cc6896d9976b30a.png

image.thumb.png.08dc47209a3c056dfa797abebeccc152.png

image.thumb.png.504b6576eed3bb2887d509fd23704687.png

This is how I play...

Seriously, what am I doing wrong?

image.thumb.png.317f03790bf2330c1d469691ac5d257a.png

You've definitely been unlucky with not finishing your chances. That is part of parcel of FM.

One thing I will say is that when I changed my mentality from looking at xG as a cumulative number to looking at xG as a per shot number I managed to find myself getting answers to some of my questions.  If I use the game vs Crystal Palace as an example - Palace created better opportunities, on average, than you did, a 0.17 xG per shot vs your 0.10 xG per shot.

There doesn't seem to be any inherent, glaring issues with you you are set up to play, though you may be struggling to develop build up play down the left given your DM and CB's will tend to be isolated given the attacking nature of the IWB and Mezzala and you might also be struggling to find central connection between the CM and the attack given the Mezzalla will drift wide and get very advanced, the IWB will be very advanced, the IF on the right will be in an advanced attacking channel leaving his out ball to be the WB.

Do you see a high level of possession cycling between your CB/DM/RB/RCM?

I might look at dropping the IWB onto a support duty, experiment with the striker on a Support Duty or a role that will drop deeper and link up a little bit more. But its going to be a trial and error process. Poor finishing is, frustratingly, part of the game.

You don't seem to be doing so badly in the league, so wouldn't be surprised if for every game you lose where you deserved to win, you have one the other way around (totally normal). Check xG table and conversion rates to be sure, as well has attacking , defensive efficiency. Compare this to your striker's finishing, composure and your GK's ability. 

Your tactical familiarity seems super low, which is giving you an immediate disadvantage.

If your xG position is way higher than your actual position, I would guess that your team is low on confidence. Use more relaxing team talks, say you have faith in your players , both in positional team talks, ans in the criticse private chat

Your setup doesn't look too bad, I think with a few minor tweaks you'll perform better.

The first thing I noticed are the extremely aggressive without ball TI's. I think this, combined with your mentality, is too ambitious for Brighton.

Sesko can be very dangerous as Pressing Forward and I think your MEZ and W get into the same zones too much, so I would make your left wing an IF and Vignato a W on the right as he has cuts inside from wing.

PFat

IFsu                                          Wat

MEZat          CMsu

DMde

IWBsu       CDde       CDde      WBsu

SKde

Mentality - balanced

In possession - shorter passing / play out of defence

In transition - distribute to CB's and FB's / counter-press

out of possession - standard D-line / higher LOE / morge urgent

I would use these instructions as a base, and then see what happens during matches and which instructions you could add more :thup:

Stop looking as xG as a total and start looking at xG per shot per player. Basically you want to identify who your main goalscoring threat is and then look at his xG/90. Its important here again to understand that generating loads of shots can lead to inflated xGs, what you want to know is whether you are creating enough high quality chances. I know that on the best of days my striker out of 4 shots has 1 that has an xG of around .7 which means a certain goal.  If you know that, thats the first step in knowing if your tactic is any good. Total xG is a pointless and meaningless piece of information. 

The 433 is one of the best formations on FM, but its also one that can be played in so many different ways. When you play against a narrow 532 you may need to play differently than when you are playing against a 442. Its just the way it is. Very good teams can force other teams into playing their style, they don't need to change, because they have better players. When you don't have that luxury you need to learn how to adapt, you need to know where your strengths are and play to them.

In  many games if I am playing a 433 it means I need to make small tweaks to make that happen. Tactical familiarity is overrated.  I have proven time and time again on the wednesday livestream that you can change tactics EVERY game and still do well, if your boys aren't scoring its not your tactical familiarity its your system itself. It looks to me that for all your shots, you are actually giving the opposition very good chances to score themselves. That is actually your biggest issue.

Then you need to ask yourself how that is happening, fix that. 

When I look at your system it looks like it needs some tweaks. In as far as the tactic itself, I am not a big fan of using the IWB like that. Its putting too big of a burden on him to arrive and do something with the ball at the risk of leaving yourself open. This could also be the reason why you are conceding so many goals.

The Mezz attacks the halfspaces, when he comes in. So while you can create goal scoring chances you could be too disjointed doing it.  An xG of 1-2 isn't that big of a deal, it just says lots of shots, but low quality ones. Your first two xG stories are telling me that you only created at most 2 good goal scoring chances. 

Try this:

Adjust your training to balanced and set individual training to players training the positions you want them to play.

Be as positive as you can to players in pre match team talks until you start picking up morale. Enjoy the game, I have faith will lead to media has given you a lot of praise go out and show them its deserved. Encourage shout early if you have a couple of chances demand more if they are on top. 

praise and criticise at least the top 2 players on the report weekly.

Mind games the bejeezus out of the media. 

Regarding set up I'd remove whipped crosses to mixed. I play a Mezzala attack with a deep lying playmaker and a BWM midfielder in the dm position on defend. I don't think your cbs are good enough to allow for a wb attack and a wb support as just a 2. I'd have wb defend and full back attack. 

IMO Balanced is the best starting mentality. Positive in my experience scores fewer goals and concedes more. That's when playing my style though... But could try switching to balanced.

With an attacking full back its nice to have an Inverted winger on attack ahead of him. Try this out. 

It seems like you are doing ok though. 6th in the league is pretty good.

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

Stop looking as xG as a total and start looking at xG per shot per player. Basically you want to identify who your main goalscoring threat is and then look at his xG/90. Its important here again to understand that generating loads of shots can lead to inflated xGs, what you want to know is whether you are creating enough high quality chances. I know that on the best of days my striker out of 4 shots has 1 that has an xG of around .7 which means a certain goal.  If you know that, thats the first step in knowing if your tactic is any good. Total xG is a pointless and meaningless piece of information. 

The 433 is one of the best formations on FM, but its also one that can be played in so many different ways. When you play against a narrow 532 you may need to play differently than when you are playing against a 442. Its just the way it is. Very good teams can force other teams into playing their style, they don't need to change, because they have better players. When you don't have that luxury you need to learn how to adapt, you need to know where your strengths are and play to them.

In  many games if I am playing a 433 it means I need to make small tweaks to make that happen. Tactical familiarity is overrated.  I have proven time and time again on the wednesday livestream that you can change tactics EVERY game and still do well, if your boys aren't scoring its not your tactical familiarity its your system itself. It looks to me that for all your shots, you are actually giving the opposition very good chances to score themselves. That is actually your biggest issue.

Then you need to ask yourself how that is happening, fix that. 

When I look at your system it looks like it needs some tweaks. In as far as the tactic itself, I am not a big fan of using the IWB like that. Its putting too big of a burden on him to arrive and do something with the ball at the risk of leaving yourself open. This could also be the reason why you are conceding so many goals.

The Mezz attacks the halfspaces, when he comes in. So while you can create goal scoring chances you could be too disjointed doing it.  An xG of 1-2 isn't that big of a deal, it just says lots of shots, but low quality ones. Your first two xG stories are telling me that you only created at most 2 good goal scoring chances. 

Thx a lot :) I do follow your streams on Twitch and tried to also implement your pressing traps. I wanted to create a triangle on the left side, where my winger is providing the width, my MEZ is acting like a shadow striker and the IWB is taking his place to offer passing options. Unfortunately, I could not get the IWB(S) to really act like a CM. He stays too deep. With an attacking duty however, even though he sometimes runs into the box, but he is always positioned the way I want him... Maybe I will look into this. The reason, why I am so frustrated is that I was 2nd place after 21 games or so. I even did not include counter and pass into spaces and tried to be very conservative because I expected my opponents to become tighter and more cautious with my increasing performances... Somehow, it does not matter, in the end I end up the same... Being without any answers against lower-sided teams who park the bus...

57 minutes ago, jsx7ste said:

Try this:

Adjust your training to balanced and set individual training to players training the positions you want them to play.

Be as positive as you can to players in pre match team talks until you start picking up morale. Enjoy the game, I have faith will lead to media has given you a lot of praise go out and show them its deserved. Encourage shout early if you have a couple of chances demand more if they are on top. 

praise and criticise at least the top 2 players on the report weekly.

Mind games the bejeezus out of the media. 

Regarding set up I'd remove whipped crosses to mixed. I play a Mezzala attack with a deep lying playmaker and a BWM midfielder in the dm position on defend. I don't think your cbs are good enough to allow for a wb attack and a wb support as just a 2. I'd have wb defend and full back attack. 

IMO Balanced is the best starting mentality. Positive in my experience scores fewer goals and concedes more. That's when playing my style though... But could try switching to balanced.

With an attacking full back its nice to have an Inverted winger on attack ahead of him. Try this out. 

It seems like you are doing ok though. 6th in the league is pretty good.

I somehow have the impression that balanced is somehow is less effective against lower sided teams... I will def. change the IF to IW attack, as I noticed that the IF is somehow really useless... The reason, why I am not happy about the 6th place is because I have lost so many games at home against relegation-side teams and I was 2nd after 21 games...

Not a lot wrong with that @goku4Some great advice has already been posted 

I'd certainly tone down the Out of Possession instructions, just assuming Brighton aren't a top 2-3 side in the PL, just remove the high lines, offside trap and prevent short GK dist. It's way too aggressive for a non-elite team (unassumingly)

As already mentioned, that left hand side setup leaves you very open in combination with the above. The IWB(A) is an awesome role but with your Mezzala, youll need someone protecting the left hand side 

Didn't we already cover MacAllister? With his PPM, that makes him more suitable as a Support player rather than a prime player getting into the box  

Thx for your advice and feedbacks guys. I have deleted the save and the game. It is just toxic for me. It is the 36th week, I am 6th, playing at home against sheffield united, who are 20th with 14 points, already relegated since 8 weeks or so, and I am leading 1-0 at home and they still manage to win the game 2-1... I dont understand this game. It has come to a point where I really have the impression that it is just pure gambling... Balanced, Control, less PI, more PI, high LOE, lower D-line... nothing works all of a sudden... I am a 32 years old guy, who has a full time job. I cant spend houndreds of hours analyzing any crap detail from morale to expectation management up to opposition tactics etc... FM used to be fun, I left FIFA because of toxicity, but honestly, this game is driving me even more to a maniac...

51 minutes ago, goku4 said:

I have deleted the save and the game

Take a breather pal, you'll get the itch back sooner or later 

isnt finishing 6th with brighton actually way beyond expectations? I cant really see the problem, if thats the case.

However if you struggle particular against teams from the bottom third whilst having 20+ shots i can just assume that you are producing low quality chances as others have mentiones already. to counterplay that i would allow more penetration by removing WBIB and/or POOD/ Shorter passing. They all slow down your play and allow the other team to settle. 

1 hour ago, CARRERA said:

isnt finishing 6th with brighton actually way beyond expectations? I cant really see the problem, if thats the case.

However if you struggle particular against teams from the bottom third whilst having 20+ shots i can just assume that you are producing low quality chances as others have mentiones already. to counterplay that i would allow more penetration by removing WBIB and/or POOD/ Shorter passing. They all slow down your play and allow the other team to settle. 

Of course, it is a good achievement, however, I just can not take it, when I lose against the bottom side which had 14pts after 36 games. I was playing at home and was leading and was dominating. That really gave me the end... Before that, I was really trying to seek help and change things and not just blindly rely on my tactic, but that one, that has no explanation. No tactics, instructions etc. can explain how I lose a game against an already relegated team at home while leading 1-0 with just 20 mins to play...

6 minutes ago, goku4 said:

No tactics, instructions etc. can explain how I lose a game against an already relegated team at home while leading 1-0

Any signs of complacency in the team? The other team's probably in a "pressure off" situation and just threw everything at you. It can happen, rage inducing yes, but I imagine we get an easier job than real life managers  

Total Xg and per shot Xg are not meaningless but need to be understood in the contexts of time and of player ability.  In the long run -- i.e. over enough time --, with all other things being equal, a team which creates twelve 0.2 Xg shots per game will outscore a team which creates two 0.7 Xg shots per game.  But don't be surprised if in an individual game or over a small number of games, that is reversed. 

And also remember that Xg is based upon big data across many leagues and matches, therefore for a particular opportunity, the Xg is the same for Mohamed Salah as it is for a below average League 2 defender.  For example, for a 0.2 Xg opportunity, we would expect Salah to covert it > 20% of the time and the poor L2 defender to convert it < 20% of the time. 

Annoys me so much when people say "ugh how am i losing at home to a relegated team, it is so unrealistic" etc etc 

No it isn't. There are upsets all the time in real life. Chelsea just lost 4-1 at home to Brentford IRL. Yet if that happends on FM there are cries that the game isn't being realistic lol 

22 horas atrás, B3nnet7 disse:

Annoys me so much when people say "ugh how am i losing at home to a relegated team, it is so unrealistic" etc etc 

No it isn't. There are upsets all the time in real life. Chelsea just lost 4-1 at home to Brentford IRL. Yet if that happends on FM there are cries that the game isn't being realistic lol 

The interesting part is that the opposite happens too, when we are a relegated team and somehow we win against a top table team. Or when we scored that fantastic goal on 90+2 and won or got a tie. Or when we changed the strategy and managed to get a tie even if we had a player off for a red card. But we tend to remember much more the negative situations and the drawbacks.

Edited by Tsuru