Help getting the best out of AP

So I have the below tactic, which in general works well. The aim is to move the ball relatively quickly within a compact unit, with the WB's keeping wider to give us the width. In defence it means we are pushed up but also close together to counter press in the transition.

I also have the AP on stay wider too to help with this but have tried many different variations to make their rating stronger. Whoever seems to play there though has really poor ratings vs the rest of the team. Is it the width of the team hindering him?

image.png.a39bb9bbc3654f26575d747d8ce9b421.png

4 hours ago, RPM_01 said:

So I have the below tactic, which in general works well. The aim is to move the ball relatively quickly within a compact unit, with the WB's keeping wider to give us the width. In defence it means we are pushed up but also close together to counter press in the transition.

I also have the AP on stay wider too to help with this but have tried many different variations to make their rating stronger. Whoever seems to play there though has really poor ratings vs the rest of the team. Is it the width of the team hindering him?

image.png.a39bb9bbc3654f26575d747d8ce9b421.png

What shape are you wanting to create in possession - currently you'll form a sort of 2-2-2-4 in possession with nobody really actively attacking the central defenders. It looks a little bit like when you're attacking the AP will not have any good options to create for and is ending up becoming a pivot point to feed the wingbacks to then cycle back to the AP. Kind of how the Arsenal of last season looked. Big passing circles, no penetration.

11 hours ago, khodder said:

What shape are you wanting to create in possession - currently you'll form a sort of 2-2-2-4 in possession with nobody really actively attacking the central defenders. It looks a little bit like when you're attacking the AP will not have any good options to create for and is ending up becoming a pivot point to feed the wingbacks to then cycle back to the AP. Kind of how the Arsenal of last season looked. Big passing circles, no penetration.

Essentially the below, where the AP is the focal point of either distributing to the overlapping winger for a cross, or playing it into the F9 as a give and go or to play a through ball to the IF-A for the assist. The theory behind it is the IF's provide the penetration, acting as strikers, with narrow mentality and stay narrower, which for the most extent works, however it doesn't provide the AP with what I want.

image.png.bf3e08710070f94b8d2a305a18a64653.png

2 hours ago, RPM_01 said:

Essentially the below, where the AP is the focal point of either distributing to the overlapping winger for a cross, or playing it into the F9 as a give and go or to play a through ball to the IF-A for the assist. The theory behind it is the IF's provide the penetration, acting as strikers, with narrow mentality and stay narrower, which for the most extent works, however it doesn't provide the AP with what I want.

image.png.bf3e08710070f94b8d2a305a18a64653.png

To get the give and go working from at AP(S) you're going to need some pretty specific PPM's - Plays One Twos and Gets into Opposition area at a minimum.

In terms of getting that sort of 2-3-5 shape in possession working you're probably better off running with a DLF(A) as the sole striker. Particularly if you're not going to have a deep runner from the midfield.

I'd go away from the Carrilero role in CM and go with a generic CM(S) which you can then highly customize to get what you want out of them

tl;dr - DLF (A) instead of F9, CM(S) instead of CAR(S) and AP(A) instead of AP(S). I feel like that sort of a set-up would get closer to the type of football you want.

Interesting, thank you for your take, will give those combinations a try.

Think I might combine that with play through the middle and take overlap off just to see if I get any better play.