Inside Forward help

After 3 failed jobs where I've been sacked twice and left before I was pushed on the third, I've not got a job at Fleetwood, struggling in League One despite being a promotion hopeful. Anyway, after a really good start with them, I've got them back in contention and borderline playoff bound with 6 games to go. However, the team are still playing well, but my main threat are my wide men in a 4123 system, and they've started failing. My inside forward being the biggest problem and getting regular 6.2's and 6.3's. Not sure how to reinvigorate him. His morale is still extremely high.  I have an idea what the problem may be, but just wondered the forums thoughts.

I play with a left full back on support behind him, but he's only good defensively. Would it be a good idea to play both as wingbacks instead of fullbacks to give the opposing defenders something else to worry about and free up space for my IFa and Ws?

------SWKs-------

FBs CBd CBd FBs 

--------HBd----------

-----DLPs B2Bs----

Ws--------------IFa

----------PFs---------

You are not spreading your attack to all areas of the pitch.

your right flank for example is ok (W + FB), but no one is attacking the right handed channel, as both wide players stay wide and there is a DLP in CM who isn’t moving into the channel either.

i would properbly look for a mezzala instead of the DLP (and switch DLP to the other side instead of the B2B)

on the left flank you have the IF who attacks the channel, but no one for the wide areas. Therefore I’d make the FB an attack duty or switch the role to a WB

It could be your midfield set up, he has a BtB midfielder wanting to get forward into the area the Inside Forward cuts into. I feel he'd be better suited to RCM as the winger will stay wide allowing the BtB forward and the DLP at LCM will allow ample space for the inside forward to run into

Thanks both, sound advice. I just really don't want to blow it now I've sneaked into the playoffs, but due to the width problem I feel I'm coming undone. Could be the start of things turning sour.

On a sidenote, do you think a pressing forward suits my style? You've seen the way I line up, but I also play with a very high backline, fast and short passing.

1 hour ago, sm1979 said:

On a sidenote, do you think a pressing forward suits my style? You've seen the way I line up, but I also play with a very high backline, fast and short passing.

I don't see why not, so long as he's capable, he'll press and win the ball back, hold up the ball and look to play others in 

I wouldn't personally play a half back and two full backs, effectively makes you a back 5 in attack. If your team is above average in the division then you want to use that half back to give your wide defenders freedom down the flanks.

But yeah, an IF(a) is going to leave the left flank with only occasional cover by the FB, so bump them both to WB. I'd also consider changing your DLP to someone whose going to push into the right channel and give the defence more questions. Maybe a cm-a/Mez/b2b.