Advice on High Pressing Defending?

On my current save, I have the philosophies Be defensive solid and play high pressing football, and I usually play high pressing football. However the last 1.5 seasons, my defence has been shocking so has anyone got any advice regarding player roles/player instruction or any other tactical changes.

My player are roles are similar to 4-3-3 DM tiki taka. I have tried all combinations of trigger press more often/ much more often and high/much higher line or engagement and defensive line.

My team is also defensively shocking when I try to defend deep.

It’s more about the players and how you prepare them during preseason than the tactic.

When gegenpressing these attributes must be high throughout the team:

Determination, work rate, stamina and top level personality types only

These must be very good:

Anticipation, teamwork, acceleration, positioning, aggression, natural fitness 

It only truly works with defending high and the frontline being high. I play with very high on both, but you need a quick CB’s and a sweeper keeper on attack. It doesn’t work well otherwise. You need to be playing to win the ball back instantly and in the opposition’s half. I always use offside trap.

if you’re going to be a high pressing  team then you have to go all in and commit to it with player type, training, mentality and tactics.

With a new team it will take half of the first season to see it starting to really work.

It also requires a lot of detailed opposition instructions for each position of the opponent and this varies depending on the formation faced, but once it’s set up then you can make minor adjustments for special players of the opposition.

For example my teams always tight mark and press the GK and the whole back line and show wide players inside where my narrow defense overloads the opponent.

If there is an opposing player that isn’t good on the ball, I’ll not mark him tight so he’s the open option and then he’s closed down.

It can’t be replicated perfectly, but you can target the opponent’s weak link with a pressing trap somewhat. I’d like to see this improved in FM23.

Preseason must be physically intense, to the point you risk injury, this is why a top physio team is needed along with micromanaging training intensity and individual focus for each player.

The first year is toughest because you need to sacrifice tactics and general training for physical training.

A high pressing game works best with attacking and high tempo; if you prefer patient and measured play you can still press, but you don’t get the the same effect as a high tempo and assertive style.

Having coaches that like to press high and attack are a good idea too, but that might take your 2nd season to get set up.

I have the best results with 433 and 343. 

Do not praise any player’s training performance until it reaches into the 9’s (for top leagues) and always criticize anything below 7. 

It takes some setting up and transfer window or two, but once you get a team honed to press you can absolutely dominate opponents.