How to Evolve a System Second Season & Encourage Wide Players

Had a decent first season as Bayer Leverkusen, finishing 3rd with 21 wins, 9 draws, 4 losses, 63 goals for and 32 against. Here is the tactic: 

image.thumb.png.f7cb864dd7d9d66cb5ee52691a5e3c3b.png

The basic idea here being we generally try to play positively, look for overloads with Demirbay arriving into the box late, use a poacher to occupy the two defenders, and work hard to win the ball back.

PIs: 
IF+W Tackle harder + Mark tighter
CM(a) More direct passes, take more risks, dribble less

What hasn't worked: 

Paulinho W(l) and Diaby IF(r). No goal or assist production from either. As you can see from the analysis, nearly all goals come through the center and they primarily came through Schick who scored 25+ goals on the season and Demirbay being the primary creator. As we evolve into the next season and go into the Champions League, I think it's crucial to turn both wide players into creators/goalscorers as they are too talented and pacy not to exploit weaker opposition. I want to lessen my dependence on the poacher role to score. As an aside, we are completely incompetent against any formation with 5 at the back and I could use some suggestion against countering that as well. 

In general, we do not have the most potent attack nor the most solid defence, and I would like to prepare this team for the next season and its slight increase in reputation going forward. Any suggestions welcome. 

I would personally change Diaby into a IW(a), i found that the Inside Forward is too aggressive and can get in positions that your poacher is already occupying, the Inverted Winger will be very good at cutting in with the ball and having options to play; the Winger out wide for stretching the opposition in the opposite side, the CM(A) making forward runs into the box and the Poacher doing the same, while in the same side he has a WB bombing forward and maintaining width. 

You should ask yourself why are you using the "Underlap left" instruction, i think its detrimental to your tactic because it lowers your Winger mentality and you already have a natural underlap with the roles you chose, the poacher creates space vertically while the Winger in support does the same horizontally. 

You could even get rid of WBiB when you're using a poacher who plays in the shoulder of the defence, and players attacking the space, maybe you're losing time when you get the ball and your wide players are not getting enough space to play their game. 

Other than that your tactic look very balanced. 

1 hour ago, Sheyner21 said:

I would personally change Diaby into a IW(a), i found that the Inside Forward is too aggressive and can get in positions that your poacher is already occupying, the Inverted Winger will be very good at cutting in with the ball and having options to play; the Winger out wide for stretching the opposition in the opposite side, the CM(A) making forward runs into the box and the Poacher doing the same, while in the same side he has a WB bombing forward and maintaining width. 

You should ask yourself why are you using the "Underlap left" instruction, i think its detrimental to your tactic because it lowers your Winger mentality and you already have a natural underlap with the roles you chose, the poacher creates space vertically while the Winger in support does the same horizontally. 

You could even get rid of WBiB when you're using a poacher who plays in the shoulder of the defence, and players attacking the space, maybe you're losing time when you get the ball and your wide players are not getting enough space to play their game. 

Other than that your tactic look very balanced. 

I would suggest exactly the same thing😄👏🏻

This is really similar to a tactic I ran in FM21. What I found worked was the inverted winter on the right like has been said, but also on the left to switch the CM (at) to a Mez (at). Unlike the advanced forward, the poacher doesn’t drift wide so instead of having another body run into the middle with a CM (at), the mezzala stretches the defense by moving into the channels. Last, if he can play it, move the LB can to IWB or if not just a FB with sit narrower since you already have width with the winger and the mezzala is moving wide too, so it gives a deeper option to retain possession/create.