Fullback as Third Centerback

Hello ladies and gentlemen. This is a question that I personally have ask about before and I have tried to find but not satisfied with.

Is there any role that can replicate a fullback playing as the third centerback. Like how Kyle Walker is with City and Jordi Alba is with Barcelona. I have previously tried IWB(D), FB(D) and WB(D). (I don't particularly like No-NonsenseFB as it have "More Direct Passes"). But truthfully none of the mentioned role really satisfies me.

So I just wonder if in FM22 (I'm playing FM21 still) you can replicate the third centerback? Or maybe SI is looking to bring it into the game much like how they brought WideCB?

I used a FB(D) with sit narrower and it was good enough for me. The formation was a a bit lopsided to the right(the side of the fb) but it was good enough for me. The 'stay back all times' trait helps a lot too

Edited by arthurbf10

Il y a 3 heures, arthurbf10 a dit :

I used a FB(D) with sit narrower and it was good enough for me. The formation was a a bit lopsided to the right(the side of the fb) but it was good enough for me. The 'stay back all times' trait helps a lot too

I tried this but like you said it is lopsided.

I did :

FB (D) sit narrower (with stay back all times trait)

CD

CD Stay wider

WB Stay wider

But for me it was not a real back 3. It should be a new role for this I think.

You ideally want to be playing narrow/slightly narrow (which is what the likes of City do, they then task the wingers to stretch), FB/D, sit narrower, and make sure they don't have hugs touchline. They will be there in the first and second thirds of build up, but progress wide if play calls for it (which is what Walker does)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow, I didn't get any notification. Thanks for the replies. I guess FB(D) is a good option at the moment. It's just that seeing how lopsided it becomes hurt my eyes although tactically not wrong, the team can build up through the right.

On 06/03/2022 at 07:20, themadsheep2001 said:

You ideally want to be playing narrow/slightly narrow (which is what the likes of City do, they then task the wingers to stretch), FB/D, sit narrower, and make sure they don't have hugs touchline. They will be there in the first and second thirds of build up, but progress wide if play calls for it (which is what Walker does)

I haven't tried narrow width as I'm happy how the team position themselves with extremely wide aside from the back three that I wanted. Will give it a try next time.

And, if anyone thought of bringing DM back as half back, it doesn't help. Tried it previously but he pushed forward and the CBs stayed far from each other. Probably because the players I have aren't good enough positionally.

PPM's drive the behavior here too.

I've had good success with a FB(S), but with stays narrower ticked and stays back at all times PPM. The Same role and duty without the PPM doesn't get close to delivering the kind of shape I want. Having those PPM's is massive for me.

Getting a fb to play as a 3rd defender cant happen on this iteration of the match engine, in fact even kyle walker bombs up and joins the attack sometimes, so its pretty debatable if he is a centreback sitting defensively or a WCB. A wide centreback we can opt to use in the game, however the FB as a CD - that doesnt exist. For it to be considered a role for the future, recommendations need to be made in the requested features thread.

On 27/03/2022 at 23:34, Rashidi said:

Getting a fb to play as a 3rd defender cant happen on this iteration of the match engine, in fact even kyle walker bombs up and joins the attack sometimes, so its pretty debatable if he is a centreback sitting defensively or a WCB. A wide centreback we can opt to use in the game, however the FB as a CD - that doesnt exist. For it to be considered a role for the future, recommendations need to be made in the requested features thread.

Thank you. Will do that.