Why is my GK always sending the ball forward, when there are so many short options?

I am really desperate and can not figure out, why for the love of god my GK constantly does hollywood-passes, when there are so many options for him...

I started using a sweeper keeper first, but then noticed that he often tries to play through balls... Now, I am using a normal GK with the instruction to play "less risky balls". See screenshot for specific situation and GK instructions...

I just can not understand it... Yes, my GK may have a low vision attribute (10), but cmon, these options in the following situation do not require someone like Ederson in order to see the options on the flanks... 

GKinstructions.png

GK hoofing.png

24 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Could you post up the analysis of the passes he makes in a game, please?

Hi mate,

thx for your reply. Hope, this can help... I am really going mad... I mean, ok, I do not have the perfect sweeper keeper... but I think these spaces on the flank are so obvious that even a normal GK with lesser vision should see it... I see my opponents like Burnley etc. and I just wonder, how they are doing it...

GK_pass_stats_newcastle.png

Less Risk to a Goal-Keeper\Defender is to clear their lines. On that basis, the 2 CD's are risky, as the Forward could intercept.

It's a very mis-understood instruction Passing around the defence is risky as a porr touch could lose the ball, an attacker could intercept etc. It's less risky to use the "If in doubt, hoof it out" less risky rule.

More direct passing could add to the directness of the pass.

Counter is a confliting instruction - Your asking the team to break when poseesion is won + Play direct (Possibly why He's looking to play a direct pass forward), but asking the Keeper to slow things down, which is more inclined to possesion football.

Here is another situation... It is so frustrating to see so much space on the flanks that could be exploited, yet neither my defenders, nor my CDM or GK see it... My CDM is a DLP (Ricci with 17 vision). I am playing with "Control" mentality and have max. width. I have my CBs and my CDMs on "balanced" passing... I dont know... I could remove "Play out of Defence", but then I am scared to end up with route-one football... I play with Brighton, finished 6th in the first season, 5th in the second and this particular game I won, even we were losing by 2 goals, but man, I will get a heart attack soon, because almost all goals we concede are always because of stupid build up play...

GK_wrong_choice.png

Thanks for that! :thup:

There does seem to be a fair few long passes, sounds like you've done everything you can to ensure he passes short & plays out from the back 

A few things to consider:

Even the best ball playing goal keepers like Ederson & Allison will take a long punt if they spot a good chance to up front 

You're asking him to Slow Pace Down in the Translation, so maybe he's holding on too long & the defenders are being picked up by opposition forwards in that time?

Just looking at Rob Sanchez, his team work rating is pretty average, part of this attribute is how well he follows your instructions, so may just be doing his own thing rather than what he's been instructed to do

His kicking is very good so he may prefer to kick long

His Composure, First Touch & Technique aren't brilliant so he may not be very comfortable with the ball at his feet. Like you said, his Vision isn't amazing so he may think he's seeing a great opportunity to kick long when it's not  

I think so long as hes doing as you ask 70 to 80% of the time, he's doing alright 

12 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Thanks for that! :thup:

There does seem to be a fair few long passes, sounds like you've done everything you can to ensure he passes short & plays out from the back 

A few things to consider:

Even the best ball playing goal keepers like Ederson & Allison will take a long punt if they spot a good chance to up front 

You're asking him to Slow Pace Down in the Translation, so maybe he's holding on too long & the defenders are being picked up by opposition forwards in that time?

Just looking at Rob Sanchez, his team work rating is pretty average, part of this attribute is how well he follows your instructions, so may just be doing his own thing rather than what he's been instructed to do

His kicking is very good so he may prefer to kick long

His Composure, First Touch & Technique aren't brilliant so he may not be very comfortable with the ball at his feet. Like you said, his Vision isn't amazing so he may think he's seeing a great opportunity to kick long when it's not  

I think so long as hes doing as you ask 70 to 80% of the time, he's doing alright 

Thank you so much for your contribution- Yes, I really did everything. Do not try to read too much into the settings. As mentioned before, I have really tried out everything possible... I played around with the transition settings from playing to only FBs, to CBs, then CBs and FBs, play it to my playmaker etc... Only thing that I did not try out is to remove Play out of Defence...

30 minutes ago, plcarlos said:

Less Risk to a Goal-Keeper\Defender is to clear their lines. On that basis, the 2 CD's are risky, as the Forward could intercept.

It's a very mis-understood instruction Passing around the defence is risky as a porr touch could lose the ball, an attacker could intercept etc. It's less risky to use the "If in doubt, hoof it out" less risky rule.

More direct passing could add to the directness of the pass.

Counter is a confliting instruction - Your asking the team to break when poseesion is won + Play direct (Possibly why He's looking to play a direct pass forward), but asking the Keeper to slow things down, which is more inclined to possesion football.

Mate, this instruction was out of desperation, when I noticed that nothing somehow helps... 

Stats from my west ham game: changed following: removed play out of defence as TI, set my keeper as sweeper keeper (defend) and told him to play it to the FBs. TI is direct passing, however my CDM and FBs are on balanced and everyone else is on short passing.

It seems like removing the play out of defence helped me extremely. 3 games, 3 won and most beautiful thing is that I did not concede even one goal when I was trying to play it out of defence and stupiditly lost possession...

GK_pass_stats_whu.png

Not an expert, but I think if you tick playing out of defence, it's like a trait other teams will notice and probably put pressure on your back 4 stopping them from doing it. I have them impression that you should only tick options that your team is elite at, so they can 'bully' their way through teams. For weaker teams, being unpredictable (leave it to your players, not TI) is the one! As I said.... Not an expert

1 hour ago, greenz81 said:

Not an expert, but I think if you tick playing out of defence, it's like a trait other teams will notice and probably put pressure on your back 4 stopping them from doing it. I have them impression that you should only tick options that your team is elite at, so they can 'bully' their way through teams. For weaker teams, being unpredictable (leave it to your players, not TI) is the one! As I said.... Not an expert

Agree. AI maybe see his Data Hub and passing routes from your side.

14 hours ago, greenz81 said:

Mate, that may be true, I agree with you, however, 95% of the AI teams, especially in PL, will do it anyway, no matter, whether you play out from the back or not... I just admire, how easily teams like Brentford, Watford can put me under pressure but at the same time play tiki taka out from the back themselves... I am not complaining, because I lose or so, as I just won the Europa League with Brighton in my third season and managed to finish 4th in the league, I just think that solving this proper issue mentioned in this thread would really simplify my game... There is so much space on the flanks and my GK, CDM, as well as CBs just ignore my full backs so often in the build-up play... Of course, it will be effective for the AI, when they put all their men upfront centrally and leave the flanks completely blank, when your own players just ignore that space...

16 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

I don't think the ME considers those options as viable passing options for the GK, they are too far. At least I never see him make that sort of pass.

Well, I will provide you some screenshots from my next games, where every single AI keeper does these passes... especially wolves keeper when they play with 5atb... the wing backs are naturally positioned even wider and higher up the pitch