Setting up away from home

Evening all,

After some advice here. I created this tactic a few seasons ago which has done me very well pushing me up from hovering around the Europa League spots, to winning back to back premier league titles. However, my away from against the big clubs is absolutely terrible. I very rarely get any positive result but worst of all for me, we never put in a decent performance either and that's the 1 thing that annoys me.

Now, I'm not expecting miracles and I know we do lack the sheer number of quality players the other clubs have but I also know we can compete with them because our home form over the last 2 or 3 seasons has seen us beat all of them so I'm now thinking if we can get the tactics right when we go away, we may be able to start nicking some points off them at their place. However, more important than a few points in 5 away games each season, is the knockout stages of the Champions League. I know if we're ever going to win this one, we're going to have to be able to go away to big clubs and either win, not get beat or keep the score to a low defeat. 

So with that in mind, would you go for a completely different set up in these games or would you tinker with the main tactic and if so, what would you recommend? 

FM21.png

It's just an opinion and theory... Did you try a different setup? With your AP and your IW on ML and MR positions...Maybe for big match away, you should untick counterpress, and prevent short gk distribution. To be more compact. But it's just theory. 

Maybe also your player are good, but not so very good for the champions league. Mental stats and personality, in this level can make a huge difference. But it just my opinion. 

I'll give it all a go mate. 

Yeah I've tried different approaches and like I said, sort of accepted the results when our rep was quite low but now I'm up there as 1 of the better teams in the league I now need to start being able to go to these teams and nick results here and there. It's early days and I'm not expecting us to just turn up and win straight away but just looking at ideas about how much I should tinker for away games in these big games just so I can begin to work on them,

hace 20 horas, LeeWHU888 dijo:

Evening all,

After some advice here. I created this tactic a few seasons ago which has done me very well pushing me up from hovering around the Europa League spots, to winning back to back premier league titles. However, my away from against the big clubs is absolutely terrible. I very rarely get any positive result but worst of all for me, we never put in a decent performance either and that's the 1 thing that annoys me.

Now, I'm not expecting miracles and I know we do lack the sheer number of quality players the other clubs have but I also know we can compete with them because our home form over the last 2 or 3 seasons has seen us beat all of them so I'm now thinking if we can get the tactics right when we go away, we may be able to start nicking some points off them at their place. However, more important than a few points in 5 away games each season, is the knockout stages of the Champions League. I know if we're ever going to win this one, we're going to have to be able to go away to big clubs and either win, not get beat or keep the score to a low defeat. 

So with that in mind, would you go for a completely different set up in these games or would you tinker with the main tactic and if so, what would you recommend? 

FM21.png

I would try something like this:

untick counter press

drop line of engagement to standard

untick prevent short gk distribution

Change IW from Su to Att, to encourage sharper counters

Check your "tackle harder" PI players and leave them on only on the best tacklers. Put your CM De to man mark the AMC position

If you have similar players fighting for a position, look for the better defensive and mental stats to choose. Especially at the CM roles, put some fighters there.