Peps 2021/2022

City have been dominant again. Thats it, begin analysis and implementation of tactic.

Against 4-3-3, 4-4-2, and 5/3 at the back systems:

1491034385_Screenshot2022-02-13at16_38_18.thumb.png.ead7b2db50f9f1284565d6b3818dfadc.png

Mentality

In an article from the Athletic, It mentioned how Pep told Mahrez(I believe) that if the ball boy is not quick enough, he should do the job himself so that the opposition do not have the time to set themselves up or have a breather. The aim is to constantly barrage them with attacks and tire them down so that perhaps they can score later on 

Player Roles

The most difficult part to replicate the system was the Mahrez and Cancelo roles.

RM/LM:

From articles on The Athletic, It shows that the wingers stay wide and tend to be the furthest up the pitch. For the Mahrez role, originally i struggled to get inverted wingers to stay wide and perform similarly to how Mahrez does but after having signed Antony, he has done a very good job. Instructions are Stay Wider,Mark Tighter, Take More Risks and I am testing cross from deep. Same applies to the LM. . Against 5/3atb systems,I changed both winger roles to W(S) with the instruction Cross from Byline(With wingers being on their favoured side. 

RB/LB:

For the fullbacks, you can flip the roles, have 2 IWB's or maybe even two FB(S). I added the instructions of dribble more so that they can make opposition players press them and open up spaces. If you have a RB/LB that has good creative stats you can add direct passing and/or get forward. In real life, it tends to be Walker who tucks in to make a 3+2 shape with Cancelo inverting into the pivot with Rodri. So against 4-4-2's I tend to use a 3+2 build up with the LB as a FB(S)

BtB And AM:

All 3 of these roles have the instruction of Run Wide, Dribble more and Mark Tighter. With the mentality, the BtB tends to join the AMs in attack. Sometimes, I change the RAM to an AP(A) so that he drops deeper more often.

Team Instructions

The Width and Focus down the flanks were chosen as it helped replicate the wingers more accurately. It felt accurate and works very well.

The short passing was fairly obvious and the tempo was reflective of how City play. From what i have seen, City tend to pass quickly but dribble more to attract the opposition but with the quality of their players, they tend to find the perfect pass in behind.

The overlaps can be removed if you wish but this is how City score a lot of goals, the wingers or fullbacks try to hit the byline and hit low crosses into the box. The movement is the key point as they need to arrive at the right point rather then already be standing in the box, essentially the players momentum should force themselves into the path of the cross but this is nearly impossible to replicate in FM(maybe a few players with arrive late?) The overlap instruction helps the IWB to overlap the wingers sometimes.

Pressing:

City do press high and when they do they block off passing options through their marking but they are capable of dropping off into a 4-4-2, I set the opposition width the force outside as I felt it was reflective of their deep block. I have set Opposition Instructions to aide the press.

1365413807_Screenshot2022-02-13at17_59_18.thumb.png.2ee534f2ebb5f419fa40e9ca94bde018.png

Edited by Miragepredator

Against 4-2-3-1:

1502614552_Screenshot2022-02-13at16_39_20.thumb.png.eb7802faaa77cc9e27b11cea8544dc13.png 

Theres not much to explain here except the change of shape to counter the 4-2-3-1 and the change from striker-less to F9 but this change was so that the striker can come to the ball from the CB's rather then go to the CB's from deeper. This was more due to experimenting then tactical reasons

Please add your thoughts and feedback ;)

Edited by Miragepredator

Most Goals

884139216_Screenshot2022-02-13at18_13_45.thumb.png.fbd4d52ba5fb80b14b0c4df869a63551.png

Haaland has been very clinical usually getting 60 goals with around 33 games but this season he has hit the 30 mark much quicker than usual. The previous seasons have been a mix of different systems hence i did not show those.

Most Assists

1707411465_Screenshot2022-02-13at18_09_24.thumb.png.56577bc7017978b1ca9bf4b990ce26fd.png

2069468806_Screenshot2022-02-13at18_08_28.thumb.png.7eccf1382e8de92e8aa98ea24cec7c4b.png

Edited by Miragepredator

28 minutes ago, lfds89 said:

why very attacking?

3 hours ago, Miragepredator said:

Mentality

In an article from the Athletic, It mentioned how Pep told Mahrez(I believe) that if the ball boy is not quick enough, he should do the job himself so that the opposition do not have the time to set themselves up or have a breather. The aim is to constantly barrage them with attacks and tire them down so that perhaps they can score later on 

I wanted to replicate this^

56 minutos atrás, Miragepredator disse:

I wanted to replicate this^

That's one instance of the match. Such high mentality will ask for players to be very direct and with a very high tempo which I don't think are traces of Pep's game

The updated versions of the tactics:

4-3-3 (Control)

1175414674_Screenshot2022-02-15at15_34_17.thumb.png.c5418da137997d60982e27448d15caf9.png

A slower and more controlled version that focuses down the middle of the pitch

4-3-3 (Faster and Wider)

982869601_Screenshot2022-02-15at15_34_58.thumb.png.992717649909062f86affe0555e4036b.png 

Lowered the mentality and added Run at defence

4-4-2

916144928_Screenshot2022-02-15at15_35_21.thumb.png.eaef623f073ee72a93401193a1ac800c.png

The pressing was reduced and is better at counter attacking now while still keeping 70%+ possession. Also added the instruction be more disciplined as I felt it helped the pressing. I feel like this is more of a representation of how they play against big teams than the previous version which was focused on the 4-4-2 they used in the league.

9 minutes ago, Miragepredator said:

If possible, Can you say how ;)

Its my first time owning a Mac and i dont know how to do it

Save the tactic on FM. Should appear in the tactics folder. 

On the top bar of your screen you will see the word ‘GO’. Click it. A drop down menu will appear. Hold the ‘option’ button on your keyboard and ‘libary’ will appear in the drop down menu. Click that. Your library folder will open. At the top you’ll see a folder called ‘Application Support’. Click that. Scroll down to ‘Sports Interactive’ and click it. Then ‘Football Manager 2022’ and click that. All your files are there. Then you’ll see the tactics folder and click that and the tactic you saved before will be in there. Then drag it onto the website here to share it as a comment.

21 hours ago, Kloppy said:

Save the tactic on FM. Should appear in the tactics folder. 

On the top bar of your screen you will see the word ‘GO’. Click it. A drop down menu will appear. Hold the ‘option’ button on your keyboard and ‘libary’ will appear in the drop down menu. Click that. Your library folder will open. At the top you’ll see a folder called ‘Application Support’. Click that. Scroll down to ‘Sports Interactive’ and click it. Then ‘Football Manager 2022’ and click that. All your files are there. Then you’ll see the tactics folder and click that and the tactic you saved before will be in there. Then drag it onto the website here to share it as a comment.

There may be a few differences to the post but should be similar

The second version is the one i use with the OI's

PEP 4-4-2 (2.1).fmf PEP 4-4-2.fmf PEP 4-3-3.fmf PEP 4-3-3(Wider).fmf