Welcoming New Players: Does it matter

5 minutes ago, FrazT said:

There will be a lift to the new players and I would have thought that there would be a slight reaction if it didnt happen.  How many times are you going to be welcoming 10 players all at the same time though?

OK, thanks for explaining. As for the clicks, FM has many inefficiencies in user experience design. So, it is sometimes an unnecessary click fest here and there, but I'm just being a bit picky.  :D

As I understand it, in addition to slightly improving the speed at which the player is considered part of the social group and is less likely to become unsettled, the player's personality also adjusts slightly towards the personality of player doing the introduction.

Which means it's important to figure out who's doing the introduction, because it can actually make a player's personality worse as well as better

10 minutes ago, KingCanary said:

The thing is though, there is no reason to not do it

As mentioned above - there are reasons not to do it. It's the same as any other mentoring session. It depends on the person coming into the club and who is available to welcome this player.

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

As mentioned above - there are reasons not to do it. It's the same as any other mentoring session. It depends on the person coming into the club and who is available to welcome this player.

I just don't really buy that but even if true then just make it one click - 'ask player x to welcome' rather than having to open a screen, have a conversation with someone just for them to agree to do it.

11 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

Regardless if it's relevant or not, there should be a single button to have the captain welcome everyone when it's the first day of the transfer market and 8 new players arrive on the same day.

It's not always the captain, again, as the screenshot above shows. 

There are positives and negatives involved. The user needs to decide if it's worth it or not to ask x, y or z player to welcome the new signing.

3 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

It's not always the captain, again, as the screenshot above shows. 

There are positives and negatives involved. The user needs to decide if it's worth it or not to ask x, y or z player to welcome the new signing.

It's not always the captain, true, but even when I have 5/6 new players in the welcoming player is always the captain and another one, not more.

And there hasn't been a single time I have experienced negative feedback from either party when I asked to welcome, and I do that for every main squad signing.

2 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

It's not always the captain, true, but even when I have 5/6 new players in the welcoming player is always the captain and another one, not more.

And there hasn't been a single time I have experienced negative feedback from either party when I asked to welcome, and I do that for every main squad signing.

I've had times when it wasn't a good idea to welcome a player.

The options I had, had a weaker personality, so I avoided it completely.

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I've had times when it wasn't a good idea to welcome a player.

The options I had, had a weaker personality, so I avoided it completely.

It never crossed my mind that could be a negative factor in a simple 'welcome mate' but I'll definitely think about that in my next transfer window. :thup: 

1 hour ago, kingjericho said:

It never crossed my mind that could be a negative factor in a simple 'welcome mate' but I'll definitely think about that in my next transfer window. :thup: 

you're welcome mate

4 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

So that you have a choice. You can always choose a different player than the default option to welcome the newcomer. 

Thanks for that. I didn't know that. I thought the welcome wishes was linked to whatever player name shows up on the drop-up menu.

In any case, there should be an option for automatic "delegating" just like for many other features (I'm think I'm going to suggest that in the feature request forum).

10 hours ago, phd_angel said:

Thanks for that. I didn't know that. I thought the welcome wishes was linked to whatever player name shows up on the drop-up menu.

In any case, there should be an option for automatic "delegating" just like for many other features (I'm think I'm going to suggest that in the feature request forum).

I didn't know that too. How do you change it? If the designated person says "I don't want to do it. You should get Joe Bloggs to do it", how do I reach Joe Bloggs?

And there are 4 options - what are the subtle differences between each one?

So I always do this, (except the the new player has a better personality than everyone else), but it's not clear from the options which is the best one.

You have at least 2, but sometimes more, options for how your player can welcome the newbie. I just click on them randomly, because I've no idea which is more effective, if any.

I try to get the 'head' of the mentoring group I'll put them into to do the welcoming. I guess I'd take account of nationality and language if they're foreigners, but the effects of this are so hidden, and the 'tactics' so obscure, that unless SI give the game away, I've no idea how to maximise this process.

The OP mentioned the number of clicks. Either all the options are equally good,(in which case you could get rid of one click) or there's an optimal choice which is impossible to judge.

I appreciate that there must be benefits to having the captain do this, but I choose my captains with personality in mind to an extent, so everything else being equal, I kind of go

-Personality

Nationality / language

-Mentoring Group

-Level of influence

Captain /Vice captain

Position played

I'm not saying this is correct. As I say, I do this fairly randomly because I'm unsure the benefits merit any time thinking about it.

I mean, it's usually one player at a time and my captain, most influential, best personality etc is all the same person.

So, actually I have a question for SI.

Supposing your captain has high leadership, but a bad personality with all kinds of bad stuff in there,and you get them to welcome your new players, could that have negative consequences, or is the feature designed only to be positive whatever you do, as long as you do some kind of welcoming?

Edited by vikeologist

19 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

So, actually I have a question for SI.

Supposing your captain has high leadership, but a bad personality with all kinds of bad stuff in there,and you get them to welcome your new players, could that have negative consequences, or is the feature designed only to be positive whatever you do, as long as you do some kind of welcoming?

Of course it can have negative consequences. Like I said earlier, it's a mini-mentoring session. If you ask someone with a worse personality to welcome the new player, it'll worsen the new player's personality as well.

7 hours ago, cris182 said:

Tried to use it a few editions ago and first time i did the player who i asked caused a fuss so haven't ever used it since

I suspect that you may have been a new manager and that you may have not yet earned the trust of your team. In which case you were likely to receive negative responses to any requests to intervene on your behalf with team members.