Preset tactics.

On 06/02/2022 at 21:16, Skywalk3r83 said:

This is my current setup, with not many PI's
CM(d): Shoot less often, DLP(s): more direct passes and AM(s): Roam from position and move into channels.
What can I improve to my setup? Would love to hear some suggestions.

image.png.8dd674f21c93b89ee3cf540efce29fb2.png

Tadic can be on attack duty (early, extra body 8n the box). Plus, it'll make your striker less isolated. Sesko DLF(a)? His stats will in form it. I like to keep both wingers on support duty, as they'll tend to help out the defence more. I've always suffered a jam/collision whenever I've used a Bpd-de behind a defensive-duty holding role(I use "dribble more" PI, whenever I use BPD, so that might have something to do with it)

Tempo can be on standard. Why narrower? The play dynamics will play out, as long as you set your shape to do it. Both wingers driving in, while fullbacks selectively overlap. How comfortable are Zagadou and Alavrez when bringing the ball out? You could use the "distribution to playmaker" option. Has so many advantages. Try both and see which fits, though. Not a heavy hack, but should help ease shaky building up from CB'S. 

9 hours ago, kepz said:

Clean Slate, make every tactic from scratch :cool:

I do that as well, I just like to fiddle around with the preset 😄

8 hours ago, afailed10 said:

I'm not sure you're stretching your team enough (vertically) for the direct attacking style to be effective. The AF might be too isolated. But what does results say?

Results are good domestically. In Europe it’s a bit harder. Won 1-4 against Napoli but lost to Shakhtar away 1-3

23 minutes ago, denen123 said:

Tadic can be on attack duty (early, extra body 8n the box). Plus, it'll make your striker less isolated. Sesko DLF(a)? His stats will in form it. I like to keep both wingers on support duty, as they'll tend to help out the defence more. I've always suffered a jam/collision whenever I've used a Bpd-de behind a defensive-duty holding role(I use "dribble more" PI, whenever I use BPD, so that might have something to do with it)

Tempo can be on standard. Why narrower? The play dynamics will play out, as long as you set your shape to do it. Both wingers driving in, while fullbacks selectively overlap. How comfortable are Zagadou and Alavrez when bringing the ball out? You could use the "distribution to playmaker" option. Has so many advantages. Try both and see which fits, though. Not a heavy hack, but should help ease shaky building up from CB'S. 

Thanks for all the tips, i will take a look how I can implement those. I will report later this week to you. 

I never really use the presets at all, and I do not particularly like them either. They give a false impression of the game and tactic building, for two reasons.

1. They are usually full of team instructions than can look somewhat overwhelming and players can think they need to always make tactics look complicated.

2. None of the choices are explained to a user. They are given as a finished product.

Taken together you get the mystification process of tactic building. The myth that you need many instructions is propagated. A player can get no feel for what each one is actually doing to their tactic because you get a complex interaction between instructions. And quite frankly it makes them awful starting points to build something yourself, because they are already so complex making changes is hard to fathom. This then links back to the choices not being explained. The game with presets is essentially telling you that this is how to play this brand of football (let's assume we are talking about a new user not at all experienced in FM and tactics). That is how people will often take it anyway. But none of the reasoning is explained behind the choices, anywhere (unless it is in the manual and I missed it, but I doubt it). No reasons why this role, duty, pair of roles, team instructions. It is like the old "give a man a fish..." adage. You are being given a finished tactic, but not being told how to make it yourself. 

I'm not saying it is a bad thing to have, mind, because at least people who have no interest or expertise in tactics can just pick something and play. But having the option there to also explain would be nice. I often thought about taking each of the presets, boiling it down to its core concepts, improving it and posting the results here, but I honestly do not have the time these days for such an undertaking. I throw the idea out to others who may!

On 07/02/2022 at 00:01, Skywalk3r83 said:

What do you guys change when loading up a new save and using one of the preset tactics?
I love to use the Gegenpress preset, with a positive mentality. Only TI I change is the LOE that I set to higher instead of much higher. 

There are only two presets that I tested, gegen and vertical tiki taka. I prefer removing one or two TIs, but you can still use them out of the gate. They wont be perfect. The issue for most people is going to be understanding why certain team instructions work the way they do with the roles and duties. Underlap for example works brilliantly for some roles and horrendously with others. This is something most people won't know unless they experiment with roles and duties in the game a lot. Frankly speaking I would recommend the tactical creator as a starting point for most people who aren't sure what formations their sides should play. I am doing a new series called "What if...", when I take over the save, I look at the tactical creators recommendations of the formation as a starting point. I analyse the team to try and  find out  why the tactical creator has recommended those formations. I use the formation as a starting point, but do the roles and duties specifically for the kind of players I have in my team.

Presets are not ideal they were never meant to be, but they are a starting point for people who don't want to delve deep into the mechanics of the game.

4 hours ago, Rashidi said:

There are only two presets that I tested, gegen and vertical tiki taka. I prefer removing one or two TIs, but you can still use them out of the gate. They wont be perfect. The issue for most people is going to be understanding why certain team instructions work the way they do with the roles and duties. Underlap for example works brilliantly for some roles and horrendously with others. This is something most people won't know unless they experiment with roles and duties in the game a lot. Frankly speaking I would recommend the tactical creator as a starting point for most people who aren't sure what formations their sides should play. I am doing a new series called "What if...", when I take over the save, I look at the tactical creators recommendations of the formation as a starting point. I analyse the team to try and  find out  why the tactical creator has recommended those formations. I use the formation as a starting point, but do the roles and duties specifically for the kind of players I have in my team.

Presets are not ideal they were never meant to be, but they are a starting point for people who don't want to delve deep into the mechanics of the game.

Looking forward to the new series👏🏻😀