La Liga Salary Cap not keeping up with club growth

Very interesting article. Thanks a lot for posting.

So, according to that link, from @noincophydr:

The Spanish Football Federation inserted a rule that prevents the top tier’s clubs from spending on wages more than 70% of their total incomes.

I just checked my save, and I have an income of 354M for my last season (you can expect that, when you win both UCL and LaLiga). So, if we were to go by that rule, my 67M salary cap for registration is not realistic.

Can I report this somewhere? Or does anyone else feel it's normal to be capped at 67M?

Basically for Spanish first and second division, what the game should do is the following:

Calculate the salary cap (twice per year, at the beginning of transfer windows) using the following formula:

Salary cap (Maximum yearly amount spent in player and coaches wages across all squads(includes B and U19 teams) = income - non-sport expenses

Income

• TV rights
  • Season tickets
  • Sponsors
  • Competition income (LaLiga, Spanish Cup, UEFA competitions, etc.)
  • Use rights
  • Advertising
  • Sell of players

Expenses

• Wages of players
  • Wages of coaches (Atletico Madrid pays 20M€/year to Simeone...)
  • Players' amortisation (this is very interesting and may add a lot of depth to the managerial aspect of FM, because it makes it even more important (almost a must) to split big signings across several years to mitigate the impact on the salary cap)
  • Player agents' commission
  • Bonuses
  • Any kind of compensation paid
  • Youth setup and B teams expenditure

Source

https://www.laliga.com/en-GB/transparency/economic-management/squad-cost-limit

The Spanish salary cap is one of the most strict in Football nowadays. It has a huge impact on how clubs approach the transfer windows. The best well-known example is that Messi needed to leave Barcelona. However, FM can't get it right, killing all the immersion of playing in Spain. FM chose to get MLS right but the second league in the world wasn't worth the time investment, as FM is a very Anglo-Saxon-focused product. It was discussed previously here: 

Edited by noincophydr

Yeah, I just checked the post you linked and I have also come to the conclusion that they messed it up.

It's so sad, seriously... I never had issues like this with FM before, but this really messed up my save, as my club can only grow with 2M in salaries per year after making so much money.... It's very sad to see MLS fully implemented (such a prestigious and watched competition, if you compare it with LaLiga), whereas they just ruined my Athletic forever. I only play FM as a one year long Athletic Club save and then I move to the next FM, because it was the only game that cared about the philosophy of Athletic Club... But now it's ruined.

Good luck playing in Spain with any other club besides Barca, Real Madrid and Atletico. Is it really that much of a crime to want to play with other teams? Was it really that hard to code a 70% of incomes, instead of +2M per year? Even my B team, which is now in Segunda has a higher salary cap increase than my A team.

Edited by StormieNerevar

I believe salary caps in Spain are new in FM22. I ran into a problem with it before xmas, just abandoned the save and went back to my previous club. Looking since at the salary cap in advertised vacancies, there doesn't seem to be much consistency or good sense in the range of figures mentioned. At Valencia I had a 750k/week cap; I've noticed other mid-table clubs with 2.2m/week available...

Edited by du Garbandier

On 07/02/2022 at 05:33, noincophydr said:

Basically for Spanish first and second division, what the game should do is the following:

Calculate the salary cap (twice per year, at the beginning of transfer windows) using the following formula:

Salary cap (Maximum yearly amount spent in player and coaches wages across all squads(includes B and U19 teams) = income - non-sport expenses

Income

• TV rights
  • Season tickets
  • Sponsors
  • Competition income (LaLiga, Spanish Cup, UEFA competitions, etc.)
  • Use rights
  • Advertising
  • Sell of players

Expenses

• Wages of players
  • Wages of coaches (Atletico Madrid pays 20M€/year to Simeone...)
  • Players' amortisation (this is very interesting and may add a lot of depth to the managerial aspect of FM, because it makes it even more important (almost a must) to split big signings across several years to mitigate the impact on the salary cap)
  • Player agents' commission
  • Bonuses
  • Any kind of compensation paid
  • Youth setup and B teams expenditure

Source

https://www.laliga.com/en-GB/transparency/economic-management/squad-cost-limit

The Spanish salary cap is one of the most strict in Football nowadays. It has a huge impact on how clubs approach the transfer windows. The best well-known example is that Messi needed to leave Barcelona. However, FM can't get it right, killing all the immersion of playing in Spain. FM chose to get MLS right but the second league in the world wasn't worth the time investment, as FM is a very Anglo-Saxon-focused product. It was discussed previously here: 

MLS have been unplayable for long term saves for over a decade. majority because of the AI not handling the salary cap. So no, lol they didn’t get MLS right.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that!

Over a decade? This sounds very unfortunate...

And it's a gamebreaking issue, how is this being ignored for such a long time? I am very confused.

If the AI is not working, just simplify the structure or add a static formula for the salary cap, until something better is developed. I'd take higher values over non developing ones anytime in terms of realism, because you can still only spend only as much the board will give you for payroll, so it's not like you can buy Mbappe and Haaland for the MLS.

Had the same issues with my Mallorca save. I couldn’t grow the club any further as I couldn’t sign anyone top end - I gave up and vowed to stay away from Spain. Shambles from SI this. 

8 hours ago, Mr Tonio said:

Also doing a Bilbao save each year, is also on pause for the same reason. Maybe a bug report is needed?

This is an inferior implementation of the salary cap. SI needs to rework how the salary cap is calculated and implemented in La Liga 1 and 2. There is also a need for more transparency how it is calculated in-game.

On 08/02/2022 at 21:18, Mars_Blackmon said:

MLS have been unplayable for long term saves for over a decade. majority because of the AI not handling the salary cap. So no, lol they didn’t get MLS right.

Yea I had a bit of a laugh when I saw that. The MLS becomes literally unplayable after like 5 years as many of the AI teams are made up of grey players due to real player salary growth. The MLS is the worst implemented league in the game.

I do love that we needed to mention that fm is a very “Anglo-Saxon” based game… I’m not quite sure what that even means, but let’s humor him. You mean that a video game about a sport created and popularized in England, created by an English company, has English views? Absolutely outrageous.

The second division is the same. My B Team is in the second division and it has a very small salary cap.

Soooo realistic. B Teams can promote to the 2nd division (like Real Sociedad did this season, or Athletic Club or Barca in the past) but they will be capped to 1 or 2 mil salary for the entire team. Considering that youth players from very good teams can ask for huge salaries, like 500k / year, good luck registering your B Team into Segunda.

I have recently encountered another bug, in which I cannot play my C Team players, as their are somehow registered into B Team, even though I did not do that. Also found this bug on the forums and not even an answer.....

I seriously appreciated Football Manager over FIFA, but now I am starting to consider them equally worse, as the game is full of bugs and no one cares to respond or take action. Football simulation games are really dying and it cannot get more annoying that paying for a full priced game yearly, just to discover that the new game is even more unplayable.

For real, what is the matter? You don't have enough employees, you have too little time to develop the game or you simply do not care? As a Software Developer myself, I simply cannot comprehend how you are able to add new features without testing them. I think even a 10 year old kid would realize that the feature is not working and it's breaking the game, as you can barely see any increase, no matter the team income.

It's too frustrating, to spend a lot of time on a save and have it broken... The ignorance of football games has gone too far and this cannot happen anymore.

I have amazing news for everyone! I found a solution to unstuck our saves! (Tagged @saihtam, @du Garbandier, @Mr Tonio, @Mst82 as you guys seem to have saves)

MOST IMPORTANT: For this to work, you will need the in game editor

So, if your season has already started, just try to manipulate the game however possible, to keep your players at the club. JUST SURVIVE

-> Stay alive solution 1 (not the greatest): I tried giving them contracts and as soon as they have accepted, edited their contract to lower ones. However, if you want to propose a contract that will go above the salary cap, the board will cancel it.

-> Stay alive solution 2 (much better): In order to dodge this problem, simply give the players contracts starting next season. All the players I have tried this with accepted. If they do not want to accept, maybe try to edit their personality traits, such as loyalty, to make them more prone to staying at the club and after they accepted, simply revert it to the previous value. 

I have attached a screenshot with the end of season tip, if you do not know where to find that.

image.png.13eb822229a6bb7441a5149dda3fb887.png

Now, we managed to Survive, to Stay Alive. We didn't quit our saves. Here comes the reward. 

So, I have identified exactly the time when the Salary Cap is updated. In my save, 2024/2025, with Athletic Club, it happens on 8th of June, more specifically, when you receive this message from the board (should be recognizable enough) 

image.png.653bd033326e70e662822c5fe0b850e2.png

As soon as I've received this message, my Salary Cap has been updated. This time, it was increased from 67M to 103M. Quite strange, right? Because my income has actually been smaller and my expenses have probably risen.

However, because I identified the moment of the change, I was able to try multiple things with the in-game editor, only to discover that 

THE SALARY CAP IS DIRECTLY INFLUENCED BY YOUR CLUB'S PAYROLL BUDGET AT THE MOMENT OF THE CAP UPDATE.

image.png.057e7394aed798520d2efbc52afc2050.png

MY SOLUTION

Just before receiving the Commercial Summary message, edit your club's payroll budget, to influence the salary cap and then simply revert it back to the original, without affecting your save's finances.

image.thumb.png.10e8e04a944059660afa53ad50a081c3.png

Now, everything left to do is to find the right amount of payroll budget for this specific moment, in order to set a realistic Salary Cap for your save. And don't forget to reset your payroll budget to your previously one (After all, we only want to change the Salary Cap to a decent one, without cheating the game)

I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS YOU!

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2022 at 10:25, StormieNerevar said:

I have amazing news for everyone! I found a solution to unstuck our saves! (Tagged @saihtam, @du Garbandier, @Mr Tonio, @Mst82 as you guys seem to have saves)

MOST IMPORTANT: For this to work, you will need the in game editor

So, if your season has already started, just try to manipulate the game however possible, to keep your players at the club. JUST SURVIVE

-> Stay alive solution 1 (not the greatest): I tried giving them contracts and as soon as they have accepted, edited their contract to lower ones. However, if you want to propose a contract that will go above the salary cap, the board will cancel it.

-> Stay alive solution 2 (much better): In order to dodge this problem, simply give the players contracts starting next season. All the players I have tried this with accepted. If they do not want to accept, maybe try to edit their personality traits, such as loyalty, to make them more prone to staying at the club and after they accepted, simply revert it to the previous value. 

I have attached a screenshot with the end of season tip, if you do not know where to find that.

image.png.13eb822229a6bb7441a5149dda3fb887.png

Now, we managed to Survive, to Stay Alive. We didn't quit our saves. Here comes the reward. 

So, I have identified exactly the time when the Salary Cap is updated. In my save, 2024/2025, with Athletic Club, it happens on 8th of June, more specifically, when you receive this message from the board (should be recognizable enough) 

image.png.653bd033326e70e662822c5fe0b850e2.png

As soon as I've received this message, my Salary Cap has been updated. This time, it was increased from 67M to 103M. Quite strange, right? Because my income has actually been smaller and my expenses have probably risen.

However, because I identified the moment of the change, I was able to try multiple things with the in-game editor, only to discover that 

THE SALARY CAP IS DIRECTLY INFLUENCED BY YOUR CLUB'S PAYROLL BUDGET AT THE MOMENT OF THE CAP UPDATE.

image.png.057e7394aed798520d2efbc52afc2050.png

MY SOLUTION

Just before receiving the Commercial Summary message, edit your club's payroll budget, to influence the salary cap and then simply revert it back to the original, without affecting your save's finances.

image.thumb.png.10e8e04a944059660afa53ad50a081c3.png

Now, everything left to do is to find the right amount of payroll budget for this specific moment, in order to set a realistic Salary Cap for your save. And don't forget to reset your payroll budget to your previously one (After all, we only want to change the Salary Cap to a decent one, without cheating the game)

I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS YOU!

Incredible that this is required. With this, the club world cup, and all the little but MASSIVE errors in the game I just don't understand why they don't fix things like this regularly.

The salary cap for my B team is killing my team, it's regularly 5-6m at the most, and most of my youngsters are asking for 1-1.5m contracts, it doesn't make any sense.

Luckly, you can do the same for your B team. Just give them a higher payroll.

And, regarding the other teams... I barely discovered how to keep my team alive, I did not edit the other teams to increase the competition level and I do not think I will do it on this save, because it's already approaching to an end. La Liga has become extremely easy, because after all these years, the other teams are capped at the same salary levels, so they cannot grow and keep their players, who are always demanding more money. Anyway, my save has been extremely edited, because I had to do major efforts to keep it alive and unfortunately it has lost it's magic.

15 hours ago, StormieNerevar said:

Luckly, you can do the same for your B team. Just give them a higher payroll.

And, regarding the other teams... I barely discovered how to keep my team alive, I did not edit the other teams to increase the competition level and I do not think I will do it on this save, because it's already approaching to an end. La Liga has become extremely easy, because after all these years, the other teams are capped at the same salary levels, so they cannot grow and keep their players, who are always demanding more money. Anyway, my save has been extremely edited, because I had to do major efforts to keep it alive and unfortunately it has lost it's magic.

Unfortunately I don't have the in-game editor and don't plan on purchasing it. What an annoying glitch.

Oh, that's unfortunate. And we don't know other workarounds, because SI never replied on this thread :(.

I reported a bug with this, game them a save and they said they'll investigate, but nothing more. Not really sure what to investigate there, it's crystal clear that the cap is bound to the payroll budget and that's simply lazy programming... 

My only hope is that they will do more effort to fix that formula for the next FM... which I will honestly not buy until I've heard it's fixed.

If the salary cap is directly linked to your payroll budget, shouldn't it always be at a reasonable level? Because if your club does grow, your board will increase your payroll budget, and therefore the salary cap will be raised accordingly? I'm doing a save in Spain and I just got promoted to La Liga, so I'm interested to know exactly how this problem is occurring. Having managed in La Liga 2 already, I never had a problem with the salary cap, it was always my payroll budget that what the limiting factor, but obviously everyone reporting this is mainly managing higher level teams. Do you think a good strategy (without using editor) would be to adjust my budgets before this commercial summary day so that all is in wage instead of transfer budget?

4 hours ago, dpt8544 said:

If the salary cap is directly linked to your payroll budget, shouldn't it always be at a reasonable level? Because if your club does grow, your board will increase your payroll budget, and therefore the salary cap will be raised accordingly? I'm doing a save in Spain and I just got promoted to La Liga, so I'm interested to know exactly how this problem is occurring. Having managed in La Liga 2 already, I never had a problem with the salary cap, it was always my payroll budget that what the limiting factor, but obviously everyone reporting this is mainly managing higher level teams. Do you think a good strategy (without using editor) would be to adjust my budgets before this commercial summary day so that all is in wage instead of transfer budget?

I've never had a problem with my wage cap for la liga to be honest, besides the first season (Barca) but my wage cap for my B team keeps plummeting and its making it really idfficult to keep players. Basically I can register 3-4 promising players and the rest are just guys on youth contracts who won't get poached from other teams.

Barcelona is different. Along with Real Madrid and also Atletico de Madrid, they start at huge salary caps compared to the other teams, so you cannot feel the difference when you always have 200M available.

The problem is when you play with the other teams, make lots of profit, but because you have a restrictive board, you barely receive a 2M increase for the salary cap after winning the league, when you have like 100-200M in the bank. 

Also, there is no point in adjusting the payroll from the transfer budget / payroll slider, because I think the salary cap is calculated based on a fixed value from there, like max payroll or something like that, regardless of where you place your slider.

And, how can I put this.... The payroll budget restriction has always felt normal in FM and can easily be fixed, because it is also linked to the transfer budget. Let's say I don't have enough payroll, but maybe I can sell my Star player and instead of buying a new player, I can invest that money into my payroll. Makes complete sense. However, due to the salary cap, which takes place before the transfer season is opened, you cannot do this... You'll be stuck with your same salary cap, unhappy players who deserve higher salaries and nothing you can do to fix it. Worst case you'll lose your players and you still won't be able to reinvest the money, because you won't be able to register your players, no matter how much money you have in the bank.

• 1 month later...

Why didn't I see this earlier? I am managing Valencia in my second season and my salaey cap was 975k and has risen to 1.2mil which is better than yours but I was second in my first season and made 50mil+ profit only on transfers.

I didnt even notice the salary cap until I had to registrate my squad. Now I am serious thinking to abandon the save.. 😥

5 hours ago, Bakiano said:

Why didn't I see this earlier? I am managing Valencia in my second season and my salaey cap was 975k and has risen to 1.2mil which is better than yours but I was second in my first season and made 50mil+ profit only on transfers.

I didnt even notice the salary cap until I had to registrate my squad. Now I am serious thinking to abandon the save.. 😥

In game editor is the only way, I bought it and its resurrected my save.

On 23/04/2022 at 17:07, steakfaced said:

In game editor is the only way, I bought it and its resurrected my save.

I think I don't have one in my save.

Another bad thing with these salary caps, is don't put in player's contract wage rise after completing x number of club apps or international caps, where in january you need to sell someone because you cross the limit with that rise of pay.

Just wanted to say what a huge disappointment this issue is.  I started a save with Girona in the 2nd division, won promotion, built a squad of young guys who are turning into stars,  improved facilities, built a new stadium, qualified for Champions League three seasons in a row, and have no hope of ever making this a really great team because the salary cap is stuck just over $50MM while half of the table have $90MM or more to spend.

Major failure on the part of SI.

• 2 weeks later...

Had just finished season 10 with my Ceuta team that I brought up from the 4th division. Won first ever Europa League and Copa Del Rey titles. Finished 2nd on 90 points, got a first ever Champions League qualification. All to see that my salary cap barely changed and it dawned on me that I would probably have to abandon the save as I don’t plan on buying the in-game editor. First ever long term FM save as well, this year was my first year buying the game. Gutted.

Running into this in my youth challenge now, season 16 with a small team, after 3 la ligas in a row we have £500m in the bank and a £1m/week salary cap, think next season I'm gonna hit the limit... Also we keep making profits every year so the salary cap doesn't make sense even if you don't count the £500m in the bank.

Weird how all these bugs are still in the game in its final version, like this and the youth facility bug which are both potentially game breaking. Have to say I find this rather unsatisfactory.

On 04/05/2022 at 00:01, Prophqt said:

Had just finished season 10 with my Ceuta team that I brought up from the 4th division. Won first ever Europa League and Copa Del Rey titles. Finished 2nd on 90 points, got a first ever Champions League qualification. All to see that my salary cap barely changed and it dawned on me that I would probably have to abandon the save as I don’t plan on buying the in-game editor. First ever long term FM save as well, this year was my first year buying the game. Gutted.

I decided to resign and turn my save into a journeyman save, I moved to a mid table Serie A team and my budget is $40MM more than it was in La Liga.  Frustrating to basically start over building up a club, but not as much as starting over completely.

I had a long Betis saved ruined because of the new salary cap in La liga, there is no way of keeping up with Barcelona and Real Madrid, After winning six la liga in a row and 3 champions leagues my wage budget was still half of Barcelona wage budget and Real Madrid had a budget three times bigger than mine. The Betis board kept giving me a nice wage budget to work with but it never match la liga salary cap.  I eventually had to sell my star players since I couldn't afford to give them that contract they wanted and lost interest in the saved, One thing I notice was that even if you sold players or got new sponsorship money the salary cap would stay the same. I hoped they get it fixed for fm23 I had wanted to do a saved with Real Murcia but this bug ruins it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2022 at 04:20, Diablito said:

I had a long Betis saved ruined because of the new salary cap in La liga, there is no way of keeping up with Barcelona and Real Madrid, After winning six la liga in a row and 3 champions leagues my wage budget was still half of Barcelona wage budget and Real Madrid had a budget three times bigger than mine. The Betis board kept giving me a nice wage budget to work with but it never match la liga salary cap.  I eventually had to sell my star players since I couldn't afford to give them that contract they wanted and lost interest in the saved, One thing I notice was that even if you sold players or got new sponsorship money the salary cap would stay the same. I hoped they get it fixed for fm23 I had wanted to do a saved with Real Murcia but this bug ruins it.

The salary cap in Spain isn’t a new rule. Just new to FM as far as I’m aware. It’s out me off starting a save in the second division.

On 21/05/2022 at 18:56, du Garbandier said:

yes, and among the unanticipated (I suspect) problems is longtime FM players running into it for the first time. It might be something they extend to other leagues in the future, I guess.

It also doesn't seem to be implemented properly.  Your wage budget isn't capped by the salary cap, for one thing.

• 2 months later...

Was just hit with registration of my Granada Squad for LaLiga. I just won the LaLiga previous season and have improved the squad somewhat, nothing extravagant i had a budget of 15m. But handing out contracts to my star players plus incomings increased my wage budget from 400k to 620k. Something which was well within my means. But the game since stated before only calculates the Wage Cap once a year, has not even increased my wage cap from the previous year. its still set at 500k leaving me unable to register my full squad. I feel my save is completely ruined, since i do not want to backup to the date where this is calculated and do all my dealings again. :(

I seriously hope they will have a better solution in the next version. I feel while the transfer window i open this wage cap value has to be continuously calculate based on any transfer activity by the team and other factors. The current way is way way to simple.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
En 11/12/2022 a las 22:15, 9eren dijo:

Is this still an issue in FM23?

I think so. I've just entered the board trying to understand why my Athletic Bilbao B salary cap in LaLiga2 24/25 is only 15K per week. Previous year with A team I sold players for 90M

No chance of developing young players with potential. Ruined save. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

B squad salary cap is ridiculous, I think they make B team a separate club when calculating the wage cap, which would make sense because B team doesn't really make any money. However, I don't know if this is the case in reality, would be surprising if it is. A way to get around this would require a C team in a playable league, you can register players there and call them up for B team games, but this is just an idea, I don't know if there are limitations like 5 games in an upper division and you can no longer play or register for the lower league and etc., haven' t tested it yet. Even if it works for most clubs there are no C teams, and dragging those that do up from those unplayable leagues without the in-game editor is a dreadful process. 

Overall, a broken setting. I played a save of Real Sociodad (if I spelled right or not), I think the calculation of salary cap was correct for A team, in terms of B team it is broken. I don't know if they consider this as a bug or not, because otherwise you would need to sell 10k+ tickets for B TEAM MATCHES THAT ARE PLAYED IN AREANA WITH 3K SEATS and MAKE SEPERATE TRANSFERS OPERATING AS B TEAM FOR FUNDS to get a salary cap around like 5 million or something. 

В 26.09.2023 в 09:07, 02 сказал:

B squad salary cap is ridiculous, I think they make B team a separate club when calculating the wage cap, which would make sense because B team doesn't really make any money. However, I don't know if this is the case in reality, would be surprising if it is. A way to get around this would require a C team in a playable league, you can register players there and call them up for B team games, but this is just an idea, I don't know if there are limitations like 5 games in an upper division and you can no longer play or register for the lower league and etc., haven' t tested it yet. Even if it works for most clubs there are no C teams, and dragging those that do up from those unplayable leagues without the in-game editor is a dreadful process. 

Overall, a broken setting. I played a save of Real Sociodad (if I spelled right or not), I think the calculation of salary cap was correct for A team, in terms of B team it is broken. I don't know if they consider this as a bug or not, because otherwise you would need to sell 10k+ tickets for B TEAM MATCHES THAT ARE PLAYED IN AREANA WITH 3K SEATS and MAKE SEPERATE TRANSFERS OPERATING AS B TEAM FOR FUNDS to get a salary cap around like 5 million or something. 

Spain is one of my favorite leagues. So I just removed this rule for La Liga and D2 like this

image.png.b29741b42d040c4f289f1121d7ce85

Annual Wage is the rule you need to delete from editor. Works for new saves only