FM22: THE MINERS — BUILD A NATION SAVE

MattyLewis11

8 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Did you go with only players who were "natural" in a chosen position? One of the issues I've had is in filtering out players who can play in multiple positions and therefore skew the stats.

I attempted to do so yes mate, the lovely process of manually removing those, like you say who aren't a natural and have played in a range of roles over the season. I am certain there were a few left in the pack but this won't deviate too far away from the 'true picture' e.g. your Fabinho's of this world who can operate across both defence and midfield strata's. Also I am not even sure the Wyscouts of this world enable you to filter for statistics when playing in a certain role only @F0rzaHcan you confirm?

The green values are very much as you said said an individual who is above average, kept that one very simplistic  haha.

10 hours ago, theBlackPrince said:

certainly earn't that title!!

More like Poznan threw it away, couldn't be happier with the outcome, although if we win it again I would much prefer an easy ride! 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

I attempted to do so yes mate, the lovely process of manually removing those, like you say who aren't a natural and have played in a range of roles over the season. I am certain there were a few left in the pack but this won't deviate too far away from the 'true picture' e.g. your Fabinho's of this world who can operate across both defence and midfield strata's. Also I am not even sure the Wyscouts of this world enable you to filter for statistics when playing in a certain role only @F0rzaHcan you confirm?

The green values are very much as you said said an individual who is above average, kept that one very simplistic  haha.

More like Poznan threw it away, couldn't be happier with the outcome, although if we win it again I would much prefer an easy ride! 

How do you manually remove the stats the tend to be from positions a player doesn't necessarily play in?

1 minute ago, Matty Aqua said:

How do you manually remove the stats the tend to be from positions a player doesn't necessarily play in?

It is quite a laborious process mate :brock: obviously all the data is exported into spreadsheet software, so it is a case of carrying out some spot checks (preferred position and starting-line ups for a few games and then simply pressing delete row).

There is a field which you can add to the custom view called 'scouts opinion of this players best position' which is a handy tool to pick up the majority of those outliers. 

1 hour ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Yeah, most data providers don't do a great job of allowing you to fully split players by position. Mainly because in modern football it is vert unusual to find a player who only plays in one position, strikers aside.

You can filter by position but the data set will still have a lot of noise. If I have to do something in which I need to be very position specific then I tend to manually adjust the positions of the players when I export the data to excel or google sheets.

7 minutes ago, F0rzaH said:

I tend to manually adjust the positions of the players when I export the data to excel or google sheets.

So you too have experienced the joys of what I did in order to attempt to get the data set as accurate as possible. 

Thanks for coming back to me so promptly 💪

7 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

So you too have experienced the joys of what I did in order to attempt to get the data set as accurate as possible. 

Thanks for coming back to me so promptly 💪

16 minutes ago, F0rzaH said:

Yeah, most data providers don't do a great job of allowing you to fully split players by position. Mainly because in modern football it is vert unusual to find a player who only plays in one position, strikers aside.

You can filter by position but the data set will still have a lot of noise. If I have to do something in which I need to be very position specific then I tend to manually adjust the positions of the players when I export the data to excel or google sheets.

53 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

It is quite a laborious process mate :brock: obviously all the data is exported into spreadsheet software, so it is a case of carrying out some spot checks (preferred position and starting-line ups for a few games and then simply pressing delete row).

There is a field which you can add to the custom view called 'scouts opinion of this players best position' which is a handy tool to pick up the majority of those outliers. 

I wish you could do all that in the datahub in game. (maybe in future) , but exporting it all to excel or google sheets sounds too much like work that would interfere with enjoying the game, but that is my opinion.

I am finding the Datahub in game more than useful enough for the level of detail I want for now....

It is great though that you and others enjoy taking the Data to the next level!

11 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

I am finding the Datahub in game more than useful enough for the level of detail I want for now....

Absolutely, I think the team at SI have done a great job in attempting to integrate data into the game and I am hopeful that over time they will continue to develop this area to make it more comprehensive.

No point in them going all out to make it all singing, all dancing if a large proportion of people didn't access it.

I just wish you could see players from a range of leagues, that is the only thing I wish they did from the initial 'pilot' shall we call it.

As you will see many of us who enjoy looking at sheets with numbers still do so through excel etc and are probably ahead of the curve in that respect which is why we keep demanding more lol.

Congrats on the league. Will be interested to see how this develops.

Doing a vaguely similar experiment, where I only sign Scottish players, and the rest of the league improves, (and we're currently 6th in coefficients and probably will break into the top  5 soon). 

You're signing foreign players though, aren't you?

I've not really focussed on weakening the nations around me. I mean, I can't really because I'm only signing Scottish players, but still, strengthening my own nation without focussing on others seems to do the job. It can turn into a bit of a snowball. My club did well in Europe, which increased the coefficients and league rep, which meant the other clubs could sign better players, which made them better and so on. Now my rival Celtic are one of the best sides in Europe, which is a slight pain because I want to win the league, but Scottish football is rocketing up. It's not just Celtic.

The worry is whether the other clubs will spend the money that success is brining on improving their facilities.

I manage both the national team and Hibs, and the duel role does have interesting aspects, so it will be interesting to see what you do if you go down that route.

I thing I note is that though Poland are way down the Euro coefficients, Poland has a decent National Dynamic Youth rating (far better than Scotland's). I think Scotland started out 10th in the coefficients.

3 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

You're signing foreign players though, aren't you?

I am indeed as I am specifically scouting those league/nations next to ours in the rankings with the view to weakening them and in turn effecting their performances on the continent etc. 

Still will look to pick up some good players from within the league (Tudor) but the ideology for me is to try and make the quality from within the Polish league improve. 

Poland are currently in 32nd place on the nation club coefficients so there is certainly some work to be done.

How many seasons in are you, what has been your biggest challenges? 

1 hour ago, MattyLewis11 said:

I am indeed as I am specifically scouting those league/nations next to ours in the rankings with the view to weakening them and in turn effecting their performances on the continent etc. 

Still will look to pick up some good players from within the league (Tudor) but the ideology for me is to try and make the quality from within the Polish league improve. 

Poland are currently in 32nd place on the nation club coefficients so there is certainly some work to be done.

How many seasons in are you, what has been your biggest challenges? 

Midway through my 8th season (at both Hibs and national team). World ranking 41st to 16th, Euro coefficient from 10th (or maybe 11th) to 6th. SPL ranking from 11th to 7th. DYR from 83 to 85, (which is pretty much as fast as it can rise).

We're basically just outside the big top 5 in every aspect apart from the national team.  We can certainly give the likes of Portugal, Belgium and Holland a run for their money in international fixtures, but they're always going to generate better players than us. 

The fact that all the top Scottish clubs (not just us) have improved so much does pose a challenge for us. 

I can only sign Scottish players. Celtic don't have that restriction, and it's safe to say their players are a lot better than mine, but then again, it has a lot more plusses with Euro places, league rep etc.

21 hours ago, vikeologist said:

We're basically just outside the big top 5

That is a fantastic effort, I think it will be a massive challenge to get Poland into the top 10 as the initial big challenge for the league will be to keep its best players. My highest earner now that Podolski has gone is on £1,900 p/w, teams in some of the peripheral leagues have more money so you can see where the issue starts.

Closing the coefficient 

It is that time of the season where Polish representatives have concluded navigating the continental qualification stages of the retrospective competitions and I can provide you with early insight into the coefficient points which have been drawn down from our four representatives.

Cracovia_(football_club)_logo_svg.png.47a51866298b0288bb8e38bb365cf91e.png

Cracovia (Polish Cup Winners) 

image.thumb.png.73b570a940e92895a9dfd4eb63cf0ecb.png

Michal Probierz’s side would begin their European adventure away in Gibraltar as they faced off against College Europa FC.

image.png.26c673f21c35643b9989a755e7fbfd68.png

FMBethh's favourite Brazilian in the Polish league (Rivaldinho) showing just why he can have such an outrageous name, scoring three goals over the two legs as Cracovia ran out winners. 

Unfortunately, Erling Moe’s Molde awaited them in the second qualifying round and the Norwegian side proved to be too much of  a test.

During the home leg Molde ensured that Cracovia didn’t even muster a single shot at their goal, in the away leg with the game in balance (2-1 on the night) Molde were reduced to 10 men in the 43rd minute, it was just a shame that our Polish friends could only score the one goal after, going out 3-2 on aggregate. 

Molde then went on to defeat Lithuanian side Zalgiris Vilnius in the next round before falling at the final hurdle against Maccabi Haifa of Israel. 

Coefficient points: 2.5

907665396_Wisa_Krakw_logo_svg.png.69bf188c790f00f5ac759005bd89042c.png

Wisła Kraków (3rd Place 2021/22)

image.thumb.png.05b220fe29db575245ba15f6a0bd830c.png

After an impressive season in the Ekstraklasa it was time for Manager Adrian Gul’a to flex his muscles on the continent. His team would face Irish side Shamrock Rovers in the Conference League First Round of Qualifying and after a four goal victory at the Henryka Reymana, Wisla looked good value for money.

They continued the dominance shown in the first-leg into the second, securing a three goal victory, Jakub Blaszczykowski scored in both ties before hanging up his boots to pursue a career off the field as an ‘Assistant Manager’.

Drawing Azerbaijani side Zira IK in the second round looked like progression would be a foregone conclusion. However, the semi-professional side secured a shock 3-1 victory in Baku. How important would the consolation goal from Aschraf el Mahdioui be? The Dutchman opened the scoring in the second leg before another two goals were added in the last ten minutes to see our countrymen progress.

Israeli, Hapoel Be’er-sheva were up next and provided far too much a challenge winning both games and ending up eventual 4-0 winners, they were knocked out in the next round by Young Boys.

Coefficient points: 3.5

863522225_KKS_Lech_Poznas_100th_anniversary_crest.png.cfc6b6a2249e4038a21857597ecf15bf.png

Lech Poznań (Ekstraklasa Runner Up 2021/22)

image.thumb.png.2ab3a9a1fb89cf756904a03d6cf4dc1f.png

Montenegro side Rudar Pljevlja were the first team out the hat to face the second best team from Poland, Jesper Karlstrom was the player of the tie scoring three goals across both legs as Maciej Skorza's side made light work of the challenge.

Their reward was a tough tie against Hammarby IF of Sweden in the next round, the Allsvenskan is 13 places above our Ekstraklasa in the competition rankings, could Poznan bride the gap? 

The foundations were set from the get go as Poznan sealed a 3-2 away victory (all goals within the first half). Hammarby opened the scoring in the second leg to level the tie through a penalty in the 20th minute at the INEA Stadion before the home side regained control through goals from Karlstrom and Szmczak.

FC Slovacko of the Czech Republic were dispatched in the third qualifying round on penalties to set up a monster of a Fourth Round tie against Fenerbache of Turkey, with a squad with an estimated value of £110 million (more than 10 times the value of Poznan) a proper David vs Goliath.

Poznan lost the first leg before securing what will no doubt go down in club history a 2-0  victory away in Istanbul, securing progression to the Europa Conference League.

image.thumb.png.b945254fced4a3eb685ceab0d2460753.png

After the result secured in the final round, Poznan should be full of confidence and can hopefully continue their good form into the competition, drawing down more, much needed points for our coefficient. 

Coefficient points: 5.5

571494831_Grnik_Zabrze_crest_svg.png.0831e30c44f69c04239d71b96e8eac4c.png

Górnik Zabrze (Ekstraklasa Champions 2021/22) 

image.png.06576d83e9bc097ecbf9dccedf13d4a8.png

Champions Path First Qualifying Round - Slovenian side Maribor were to be our first opponents in what would no doubt be a tough qualification in order to attempt to get into the Champions League. In what could have been a nervous occasion for the players, Jimenez provided the early dose of diazepam (2 mins) to ensure that the anxiety was removed. His second of the night (6 mins) stemmed from a well worked team goal consisting of no fewer than 18 passes (oh how times have changed).

image.png.c10bc06cbb56d29f4cfff1f60e658e28.png

The Spaniard had a night to remember picking up a 'perfect 10' as he went on to score five goals on the night from six shots. Oliver Kragl was our most creative outlet (6 key passes) and Fran Tudor followed closely behind with four, two of which were assists. Jimenez scored either side of Rafal Janicki in the return home leg, as we cruised to a fantastic aggregate victory. 

image.png.6e3c755d1c43ed294a9a10da10f60a20.png

Champions Path Second Qualifying Round - a trip to Bucharest awaited us in the second round and as expected the opposition's quality would improve at each given stage. The home side taking the lead on both occasions in the first leg before we managed to pull goals back within quick succession. Despite the result there was hope, FCSB had a significantly lower xG than ourselves and with the return to the fortress of Zabrze we believed. 

Rightly so, Jimenez and Nowak scoring before the break before our Spaniard on a hot streak added his second and 10th goal of the UCL campaign.

image.png.155fe60aa3c26f7c8004a82a1c013011.png

Champions Path Third Qualifying Round - 1991 Champions Red Star were up next, the tie at Rajko Mitic was not one for the neutral with only 9 of the 23 shots from both teams working the goalkeeper and both sides not generating an xG over 0.7. 

We again were confident knowing that we were still in the game going into our home fixture, why wouldn't we be given the fact that we have only suffered a single home defeat in my time in charge of the club.

Pleasingly we had more shots in the second leg and converted our chances at a better rate than Red Star did, banging in three second half goals to progress tot he final round of qualification.

image.png.d712bbea71f445d355f9e221011a8a53.png

Champions Playoff - Raiffeisen Champions FC Basel were all that separated us between the UEFA Champions League and a significant sum of monies, could Patrick Rahmen's men along with the likes of Dan Ndoye deliver the knock-out blow (thankfully I started this save prior to the update - Basel have recruited well). 

Kragl gave us the lead early in the second half before what I can only explain as the most idiotic pass you will ever see (Wisniewski passing the ball directly to Cabral from a free-kick will all nine other players upfield, a simple square pass to Ndoye to score) gifted Ndoye a goal. We did however secure a penalty in the 94th minute only for Nowak's effort to be saved by Heinz Linder.

Bang, bang, bang nine dart finish! Jimenez has yet another match ball to his name and we secure a ticket to play with the big boys.

image.png.91b54e0b937216b999059068cf94438c.png

What do I do with so much money, we aren't exactly in need of many players, yes there is the Target Forward that we are in the market for and we could well do with a proper right-back but apart from that I think it is best to attempt to invest in the infrastructure at the club to ensure I leave a legacy. 

image.thumb.png.8bfccb0ee638ef2f0ea14f46dfc2a168.png

We aren't even going to talk about the draw...ok we will! 

That double header vs Rangers is the only fixture which I feel it will be possible to walk away with anything from the schedule. Going to be a great day for the club playing some of the Worlds finest though, can't wait! 

Coefficient points: 10.5

J9 - Jesús Jiménez 

CgIHDdL6m-D9P0TvN5JaTCvJa0sTgosD6oKHULz8XVIcc6DpkR0yu10Ruo3rpa-g428rWK66KOkKDnMhwWUZWS0yTWd6A1T3eGSA6Qr_Nyw31zi2VuA5loXFMMumTE7EGhfrzeiU

The Spaniard has made the whole of Europe stand up and take note with his performances in qualification,  his 14 goals have stemmed from an xG of 5.03. some will say this is fluke but  lets not forget how he outscored his xG  last season.

His 14 goals so far have come from 20 shots on target, which means that if he is to work the keeper there is a 70% chance it will end up as a goal, his overall conversion rate is 48% 

Jimenez has carried this form over into the league scoring four goals from five shots on target, with the UCL 'Most overall goals by a player in a season' record currently standing at 17, held by Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid 2013/14).

I honestly believe that this save could have not only thrown up a real gem but in JJ (Jesus Jimenez) I have found that one special player that reminds us of the edition of FM in years to come.

No guessing as to who will be on penalties for those group stage games.

image.png.164c93d2fd496b6bf66aef211db7a6a0.png

The Squad

image.png.4ed9f5d62d5ba78a0710557a9a7f0711.png

The above is the squad in its entirety for the season, minus Kelechukwu Ibe-Torti who I opted to sign from LKS Lodz, the main factor was that the Nigerian is 20 years old and also holds a Polish passport making hi m another mandatory U22 option to field. He is again versatile and can operate on both flanks, providing that much needed cover for the ageing Kragl. He has four star potential and a Flair attribute of 16 making him a great option from the bench to add spark if needed. 

image.png.9327e2f25bc694eab1267a4ff123a839.png

Our form to date has been pretty impressive in the league, the brand of football is much more expansive carried over from the tail end of last season which reflects in the amount of goals we are scoring and the momentum visualisations which are now showing that we are the more dominant side.

image.png.3ddb97f3533c5122231ae2e8358dda5c.png

Above is an example of just one game but a reflection of the run of play.

image.thumb.png.5e922b39bbc0c14e1f690f489e9ff258.png

The main challenge as discussed with @danielgear will be to effectively manage rotation, giving priority to the UCL fixtures over the league due to the much needed co-efficient points on offer and lets not forget the HUGE added revenue.

As always thanks for reading, drop a comment and if you aren't already please follow along 

I had forgotten what a saga it is for clubs from "smaller" nations to even get to the group stages, is a mission in-itself. The big payday should be one to help secure the clubs future and upgrades even if it may not produce a huge amount of points this time around.

Jimenez has been ridiculous in this campaign so far, 14 goals is just, well ridiculous!! What a story if he can go on and score those 4 more, but it will be a huge ask.

Congratulations on the qualification!! J9 is having a blinder. Personally the away games the UCL to the big guns I would feed the backups to them, you already said you don’t hold much hope so I’d keep the first time fresh and try snatch something at home and the double header with the Gers. 

11 hours ago, theBlackPrince said:

The big payday should be one to help secure the clubs future and upgrades

Exactly that, as I stated I am in no massive need to strengthen the squad... hopefully the board will agree in developing either the youth or training facilities.

11 hours ago, theBlackPrince said:

Jimenez has been ridiculous in this campaign so far, 14 goals is just, well ridiculous!!

He has been unreal, I don't think I have ever had a striker who has been so clinical in front of goal, can you imagine if he breaks the individual record! I think with 14 already to his name he is also a real contender to secure the competitions top scorer, which is nuts.

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Personally the away games the UCL to the big guns I would feed the backups

I think this is a good idea, we aren't strong enough to fight on all fronts. Yes, during qualification we only lost one game playing a rotated side in the domestic fixtures but if that continues over the span of the season we are likely to have 4-5 defeats come the end of the group stage which could be detrimental to our League standings. 

That double header vs Rangers is my only hope of dropping into the UEL. 

15 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

I think this is a good idea, we aren't strong enough to fight on all fronts. Yes, during qualification we only lost one game playing a rotated side in the domestic fixtures but if that continues over the span of the season we are likely to have 4-5 defeats come the end of the group stage which could be detrimental to our League standings. 

That double header vs Rangers is my only hope of dropping into the UEL. 

The whole UECL I played my backup/kids and the really performed which shows great depth. I continued to focus more of my attention to the domestic. Of course had it perhaps been the UCL or UEL I would have been more concerned. 

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

Of course had it perhaps been the UCL or UEL I would have been more concerned. 

Yes mate the £2.39 million per win or even the £795k for the draw is certainly more appealing than £538/£179k I'm the UEL and £427/£141k in the UECL.

A single win in the UCL is DOUBLE the amount of the prize money available for finishing in first place in the Ekstraklasa! 

I wouldn't play my whole backup squad in the matches against the big boys but would play 2-3 starters and sub them off at halftime or have them on the bench just in case it is a close match, and you could sneak a draw or win in the last 15 minutes or so.

I played backups against PSG once......when focusing on the Domestic league (DVSC (Hungary), FM21) and lost 12-0! You need to be respectable in losing.  Otherwise, you might lose coefficients.

Also, this means you have to start raiding other teams' youth and reserve teams to build up depth so that you can eventually play the backups domestically against relegation fodder and win. 

That is what I did in Ireland during my current save, became the Bayern of Ireland! Had 25 players that were first team for and team in Ireland and played the best in CL, Trophy Finals, and against Domestic Rivals.

It became boring to win everything except the CL (always made Group Stage and then learned how bad my players were) and I moved to Hertha to take on the Bayern Monster!  They haven't lost the Bundeliga title in the save. I came in 2nd by goal difference last season.

Edited by Hootieleece

I'd have to say I disagree strongly with playing a weakened side in the CL.

I appreciate there's complexities in your situation that I might not understand. I guess the absolute top priority is making sure you qualify for the CL every year.

But really the top priority is money.

I know.I know. You might not have anything to spend the money on. With players you're limited to who will come to you. At some point the board are going to stop letting you improve the facilities. It's no good having the money if you can't spend it, but ultimately, to improve the nation, you need to have money coming into your nation, and the money is in the CL group stage.

There's not much money in the qualifying rounds. You have the opportunity to make money that you might not have again for a long time, and honestly I don't think your league campaign will swing on a couple of league matches in the first half of the season.

The Champions League (and Europe generally) is always my absolute top priority, because I need as many Scottish teams in Europe earning the moolah as possible.

Poland is obviously a different calculation than Scotland because of the lower coefficient and thus less places. I'm in a situation now where I may finish 2nd in the league, (perhaps because I rested a few key players in a league match immediately before a CL Q/F I thought I had no chance of winning, but finishing 2nd in the league still gets me into the CL group stage. I know you don't have that luxury. ( I lost the league match probably finishing my chances of winning the league.I won the first leg of the Cl Q/F giving me a real chance of getting to the S/F. Absolutely worth the tradeoff for me.

But here's the thing. If your team was good enough to get to the group stage, you should be good enough to stand a chance against any team in the world. 

Basically playing a weakened team in the CL could cost you a huge amount of money. It's not worth it.

What's the point of your stated objective to kneecap the nations around you in the coefficients if you're going to kneecap yourself?

Sieze the day!

17 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

What's the point of your stated objective to kneecap the nations around you in the coefficients if you're going to kneecap yourself?

As soon as I did the comparison of the money per win in the UCL it became apparent that it really is a no brainer. 

One win is equivalent to 68 victories in the Ekstraklasa, let that sink in a minute! 

19 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

Poland is obviously a different calculation than Scotland because of the lower coefficient and thus less places

You are indeed correct as things currently stand we only get the one UCL space which is entry at the first round of qualifications. I'm not exactly sure if this will change off this year's coefficient points already drawn down by myself and Poznan, time will tell.

45 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

played backups against PSG once......when focusing on the Domestic league (DVSC (Hungary), FM21) and lost 12-0!

Keen to see how I get in against them in the group stage, could well be on for a similar result despite my confidence in my effective double block 

22 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

At some point the board are going to stop letting you improve the facilities.

They have just kindly agreed to a double request, improving both youth and training facilities. 

Appreciate your time both commenting, I hope I can do you all justice come the start of the European campaign...strap yourselves in! 

On 18/02/2022 at 21:28, MattyLewis11 said:

We aren't even going to talk about the draw...ok we will! 

I'm doing a build a nation save with Lechia Gdansk, we are in 2027 right now but haven't gotten to the cl knockouts once. These draws as 4th seeded teams are impossible. Had 10 points this year in a group with Barca, Chelsea and Monaco. Still only got 3rd. The CL really is a pain in the ass. 

3 hours ago, MH00 said:

Had 10 points this year in a group with Barca, Chelsea and Monaco. Still only got 3rd. The CL really is a pain in the ass. 

That's really impressive and also real unfortunate at the same time! 

How are you doing in relation to the rest of the save? What is the country ranked in relation to the nation coefficients and also rankings? 

Are you also manager of the National team? 

Finally caught up with this! I’ve always been interested in the nation building idea since it was introduced, but just never got around to doing it myself. Poland seems a nice choice though!

Congrats on the title and qualifying!

46 minutes ago, 13th Man said:

Poland seems a nice choice though!

Thanks mate, enjoying my time in 🇵🇱 so far..I think the country provides a fairy hard challenge but not one as hard as the origin 🇸🇲

I will provide another update on the save tonight as I have now played 10 games of the second season and am also two games deep in the UCL.

I will provide a bit of an update into the changes that our tactical tweaks have impacted on the style of play and provide an update on the national team, as I am aware that they haven't had any exposure yet on this thread and they provide an important role 😂

Thanks for following and also taking the time to catch up on the action from Zabrze to date. 

5 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Thanks mate, enjoying my time in 🇵🇱 so far..I think the country provides a fairy hard challenge but not one as hard as the origin 🇸🇲.

That’s exactly it right? A good balance, as Poland has produced some good footballers and has a decent population.

Looking forward to the tactical tweak update!

900 Minutes 

Here we are again, 10 games into the league and the usual point in which I like to sit down and spend a little time scrolling through all the data which is available within the game to review the progress of both the team and individuals within it. 

Season two is no different, I won’t bore you with all of my note taking. However, I will show you a few highlights of my analysis which hopefully will give you a little more context/insight into my findings.

First and foremost, you will remember that towards the end of the season I made some slight changes to the teams roles when out of possession, one of those being to heighten the defensive line from ‘lower’ to ‘standard’.

image.thumb.png.1e29a0f9fdc8b5aa5a4c1771e0baacae.png

As the above visualisation will show you there is a distinct difference in the defensive actions, with the lower line 71% of defensive actions were taking place in the defensive third, compared to 61% with the standard line, a whole 10% difference. 

AWW38ldp36E-R1qSN2LTZtQojv88Y90aXVPBnRAtZ-JAZDUoaNzfrvKOy5Aa0CRKh_k23dYZB-fw_JHMQVCauaVMmwrCCIU2r_DoCqsmc2_wVhi0_EwvRqJnLwBKuHxJ79lCG5ss

We were also losing 24% of possession around our penalty area, inviting unnecessary pressure and putting the backline and goalkeeper under strain. The raising of the line and no doubt the change of passing directness to more shorter has enabled us to keep hold of the ball and build from the back (note, play out of defence is not selected). We are 17% better off in relation to this statistic, which is a monumental improvement and one which I wasn’t expecting to initially be so high. 

image.thumb.png.c568e12fc77718f8e4b443e6a57c603e.png

The possession stats are highlighted above, we now have the third highest possession in the league, ok we aren’t circulating the ball anywhere near as much as leaders Lech (2,465 more passes). However, we aren’t a possession based side, we don’t want to hold the ball for long periods without impacting the game (remember the quote in the opening posts about the owner and the dog?).

W2NXPRz5lNoxXh6kmJnmsRp3RZKV5gVke8RsPFA4d8PRrUpWmSLrsyqdW1-ORQqkTdec2JO2CrFAoHxMVjqRdFocPbKiQkYVwZcv7ztTVWaib1ScRIigcreq0PmFWavi_uudXgEj

Our attacking performance has been the true benefactor of the changes, I have mentioned this prior discussing the changes in the match momentum visuals. You can see that we are actually performing above ALL attacking metrics at present and are now progressing the ball more through dribbles than we were last year, our favoured method being the progressive pass (not hoofball). 

C5jU4Dr_5hF3n1BJ0lmVFE2ea_4MiIjURtqhZHYtMR7txIaodG3HYS9eMcLcejyTe1RN-MAMvU6Hehj51KW6ursuSKJFdMf_89eTuU7D1hljJ2xm7nYr14B3t1NffwVmRCdq-Mlz

Reviewing the anatomy of the goals there has also been a systemic shift in how we are assisting, historically 59% of assists at this point last season were from through balls, whereas now that figure has dropped to 43%. 

Why? The answer is the switch from a wide midfielder and winger both on support duties on the flanks to now having a winger on attack and an inverted winger supported by a wing-back on attack. We now stretch the game more both vertically and horizontally, providing the opponent with more decisions and making their defensive roles more complex.

Assists from crossing have improved from 29% to 36%.

A focus on the wide players

Given the emergence of the importance of the flanks, I opted to carry out a bit of a comparison in relation to the performance against the baselines identified at the end of season one wing backs were completing key passes at 3% in relation to their passes completed and wingers 4.6% 

When reviewing those baselines against my squad members ALL players except Oliver Kragl was performing below the baselines set from last season's averages.

This season the data is a little different;

Erik Janza - 15 key passes from 288 passes completed, a key pass ratio of 5% which is an improvement of 2.88%.

Fran Tudor - 11 key passes from 124 passes completed, a key pass ratio of 8.87%.(Baseline was 4.6%)

Oliver Kragl - 7 key passes from 90 passes completed, a key pass ratio of 7.78%, which is an improvement of 2.98%. 

Kelechukwu Ibe-Torti - 18 key passes from 263 passes completed, a key pass ratio of 6.84. 

Paulo's Poland

image.png.726ab245fd52e49eeb6bc0816a8a7033.png

Paulo Sousa’s form has been nothing short of exceptional when reviewing the ex-Portuguese international’s performance at the helm of the national side, his first role at this level. 

The 52-year-old boasts a 66% win percentage and has only been defeated twice since the start of the save, taking into consideration that some of the opposition during this spell have been the likes of Denmark, England, Germany and Portugal, he is doing an exceptional job. 

Robert Lewandowski has been integral to Sousa’s success, the striker has scored 52% of the total goals scored for Poland during this time, firing the squad to success.

image.thumb.png.a5737c60208147480962aff3e4ec0fc2.png

World Cup Qualifiers - securing the double over England along with Lewandowski’s seven goal haul against San Marino (now you can see why I didn’t opt for the San Marino Challenge) has to be the highlight of the qualification campaign. The victories against the English was enough to secure Poland top spot in the group with a goal difference of +32, 11 more than England in second place.

image.thumb.png.4b4dd8a73bf77b72c4374ebfecd85919.png

UEFA Nations League - eradicating any doubts that his sides World Cup Qualification form would be temporary, Sousa opened the Nations League with victories over Germany, Portugal and Denmark, showing that he has the tactical nouse and isn’t purely reliant upon his star striker. 

image.thumb.png.544bcb21d5ff882a6c624a2950497058.png

The draw for the World Cup has Poland in a tough group with the likes of Germany, South Korea and Uruguay, if there is to be an opening for his role at the helm of the national side I would expect Poland would need to lose all three games for his role to even be considered, thoughts?

zcdLXZEtNnvnYriYkxGL0N_NbhbcHm03BgV6AGZlnubQr9kREPydE1b1PZywo2d7zgFmhb_oCrjmtA_V-eTOP_iGtcrPu7k2L2M2NC0UGa3ex1UJ0izcldlxkndOKQDGaUMNSxlO

UEFA Champions League

PSG.PNG.e247a6bf6078a8c6939dbc1ce95f4303.PNG

Making your debut in the Champions League proper was always going to be a challenge, especially when facing one of the best teams on the continent. Four goals down and I thought the fixture was going to be an absolute free for all and I had flashes of @Hootieleece and his comment of a 12-0 battering! Fortunately, my boys showed a bit of character and goals from Jimenez and Manneh showed me that we can perform at this level. Messi added his third from the spot, all in all the stats weren't that bad and neither was the scoreline.

Madrid.PNG.a9cc587fde79e5cbfa24f8a9b2968ded.PNG

Madrid up next at that place we call HOME, we were given the perfect start from Bartosz Nowak who scored within two minutes, the Madrid boys didn't really come with their best boots as their highest players xG was 0.2 (Koke and Rodrigo De Paul), we managed to stop them from creating any shots of real quality. we didn't exactly kick on after the opener, although I am not going to complain as the club are now £2.39 million better off! 

image.png.4d918306ec8c7207a5761993a1f1b263.png

On 20/02/2022 at 18:14, MattyLewis11 said:

That's really impressive and also real unfortunate at the same time! 

How are you doing in relation to the rest of the save? What is the country ranked in relation to the nation coefficients and also rankings? 

Are you also manager of the National team? 

Yes I am the manager of Poland too. We got 3rd in the 2026 world cup, but since then Lewandowski retired so we have to see how we do now. Poland is 15th in nation coefficients and also 15th in the world rankings, Lechia as a club is 44th in coefficients. Just finished the 2028 season and got my 6th consecutive title, might actually manage another polish team because becoming champions isn't really a challenge anymore. I do want to get out of the CL group stage though. Financially we are looking great too, i added the finances as a picture.

Schermafbeelding 2022-02-21 222318.png

10 hours ago, MH00 said:

We got 3rd in the 2026 world cup, but since then Lewandowski retired so we have to see how we do now.

A big void to fill for the national side, especially considering that there really isn't a player anywhere near his calibre available for selection.

Your finances are in a real healthy position, if you aren't in a position where you really need to invest in your team, given that you are clearly the best side in the division.

10 hours ago, MH00 said:

Nice to see you getting points against the likes of Atletico already. Really big result

Huge result, so fortunate to get that early goal, if we didn't the chances for both teams were few and far between. 

The monies from the match will go into expanding the scouting range which again opens a few more doors in the search for the target forward. I will also request for another scout.

I will do a separate update on the shortlist later. 

One thing to consider with these build a nation saves is, once you've become the dominant domestic team, moving on to another club to improve their facilities rather than basing the entire improvement on one club.

Not that this is tempting for me atm, because apart from anything else, I still haven't won the league title, and I believe I have a shot at the CL, but it is frustrating when other clubs don't or won't improve their facilities.

Were I to win the league and CL with my club and feel I can't take them any further, it would be tempting to move to one of the giants I've accidentally tipped over on my way to the top, (which as I say, I might have tipped, but I haven't yet topped).

You still have lots of room for growth though, so I wasn't suggesting it for you, Matty. More @MH00 who doesn't seem to have a thread.

Well done on the CL victory. It echoes my experience that the top teams aren't that invincible, and even getting 3rd n the group would be fantastic financially, and coefficient-wise.

Where are you with the coefficients? On track to move up a lot of places?

Edited by vikeologist

1 hour ago, vikeologist said:

You still have lots of room for growth though, so I wasn't suggesting it for you, Matty. More @MH00 who doesn't seem to have a thread.

Yeah i do want to go to another team, but i don't really know how much of the achievements are due to me. If i leave and a AI manager takes over maybe he won't get trough the preliminary rounds of the CL. Making us lose points in the coefficients and undoing my progress. Thats where i'm afraid of.

1 hour ago, MH00 said:

Yeah i do want to go to another team, but i don't really know how much of the achievements are due to me. If i leave and a AI manager takes over maybe he won't get trough the preliminary rounds of the CL. Making us lose points in the coefficients and undoing my progress. Thats where i'm afraid of.

That’s my concern long term, can build Flora up but don’t trust the AI to continue it. The other option is multiple human managers but when you play vs yourself who do you want to win. I’m hoping if I funnel enough cash to my rivals they’ll use it wisely. 2 of the other clubs have already hired former coaches of mine so hopefully their identities will be similar and can help them grow. 

That’s a big shift in the defensive actions by upping the DL! (Good on you for having all that saved and available) and will likely give you more breathing room as you say. 
Makes sense to to focus on the flanks in the 4-4-2 (half the point of the system!) and with those role changes I can see how it’d make a bit difference.

Good to see Poland doing well on the international stage. Definitely doesn’t make sense for you to take over yet.

Saving the best for last - 1-0 over Althetico Madrid! Fantastic. 

9 hours ago, vikeologist said:

You still have lots of room for growth though, so I wasn't suggesting it for you, Matty.

I was going to say mate, this is slightly premature lol, in relation to your questions surrounding the coefficients, I present you the following.

Starting from the top Poland find themselves in 19th place in the World Rankings (moved down one place due to USA moving up three). They have 1602 points and the three sides above are on 1606 (Columbia) and 1607 (USA and Switzerland) and 1609 (Holland). 

The performance in the World Cup along with the Nations league could see them propel into the top 15.

Moving onto the Nation Club Coefficients, Poland is in 32nd place at present. However, given the current form of both Lech Poznan and myself in Europe we currently have 6.875 points as a nation which could yet still increase, this could see us propel from 32nd into 27th place, sandwiched between Romania and Sweden. 

The league reputation took a bit of a plunge last season due to the poor form (previously covered) of Polish sides in Europe, the Ekstraklasa is in 37th place and between the Austrian second tier and the Belarusian top division the 'Vysejsaja'.

6 hours ago, danielgear said:

I’m hoping if I funnel enough cash to my rivals they’ll use it wisely.

I was going t suggest this to @MH00 surely you can purchase players nationally for over the odds with the hope that they will then invest the monies wisely? 

What a result against A.Madrid!! No one likes a trip into Silesia!!

Couldn't have written a truer word myself mate, we have well and truly turned Silesia into a fortress and long may it continue. 

2 hours ago, 13th Man said:

That’s a big shift in the defensive actions by upping the DL! (Good on you for having all that saved and available) and will likely give you more breathing room as you say. 
Makes sense to to focus on the flanks in the 4-4-2 (half the point of the system!) and with those role changes I can see how it’d make a bit difference.

Good to see Poland doing well on the international stage. Definitely doesn’t make sense for you to take over yet.

Saving the best for last - 1-0 over Althetico Madrid! Fantastic. 

You know me mate, as I said previously I always keep seasonal saves to ensure I have the historical data to hand, it also helped that I covered the defensive actions after my first 900 minute analysis so was a simple snipping tool and Google Slides job to get them side by side! 

image.thumb.png.187fa5a27b29042f9f85acfaba1d9a3e.png

On a completely separate note, I am sure most of the regulars would have read over the opening posts from @GIMN today covering his Calcio save, I must say his skin is an absolute dream and one which I am going to save for my final FM22 save which will no doubt start late spring taking me through to the new edition. Our new signing has started off like a dream with 10 goal contributions in 11 appearances, money well spent at £185k. 

3 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

I was going t suggest this to @MH00 surely you can purchase players nationally for over the odds with the hope that they will then invest the monies wisely? 

I have been doing this to a few Polish prospects, but there are not a lot of really bright prospects. I make sure to always overpay a bit, haven't checked their transfers but not once did a team make it to the EL and barely anyone to the Conference so i guess it doesn't help that much.

image.png.b111c6d90dace2fb84f1e6edcca05d22.png

We now have ALL players within the first-team fold in the core social group whilst our cohesion is excellent.

image.png.ccf9dd17df17c9532aa1192dc4f15a91.png

Another screen which I feel is underutilised by individuals in FM is the team-talk feedback which can be found under Dynamics section. this can be a useful tool when attempting to understand the characteristics of squad players and more importantly assessing their hidden attributes.

An example of using this as a tool can be my first round cup game vs  II Liga side RKS Motor Lublin, my pre-game message to the team were that "We are favourites and should be winning this comfortably".

image.thumb.png.f2ead08c5b93e54d4fdda8e7afc62b4f.png

As you can see from the players reaction, I have a squad that are mainly focused with most players either Looking interested or Listening keenly.

We were leading 1-0 at the break, I then issued a challenge to the squad "I think we're doing well but can definitely find another gear to take charge of this match (pumps fist - to encourage)."

image.thumb.png.74c750bfefe702569871c588885df92e.png

What you want to be doing is checking this after games where you have either suffered a defeat or played poorly and have either given players the hair-dryer treatment or issued them a challenge.

Reviewing the players non-verbal communication and adding notes against individuals who have responded poorly, remember 90% of communication is non-verbal and in the hunt of marginal gains a review of this screen every now and again will help you to ascertain who you can rely on in those big games and who you need to avoid. 

6 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

image.png.b111c6d90dace2fb84f1e6edcca05d22.png

We now have ALL players within the first-team fold in the core social group whilst our cohesion is excellent.

image.png.ccf9dd17df17c9532aa1192dc4f15a91.png

Another screen which I feel is underutilised by individuals in FM is the team-talk feedback which can be found under Dynamics section. this can be a useful tool when attempting to understand the characteristics of squad players and more importantly assessing their hidden attributes.

An example of using this as a tool can be my first round cup game vs  II Liga side RKS Motor Lublin, my pre-game message to the team were that "We are favourites and should be winning this comfortably".

image.thumb.png.f2ead08c5b93e54d4fdda8e7afc62b4f.png

As you can see from the players reaction, I have a squad that are mainly focused with most players either Looking interested or Listening keenly.

We were leading 1-0 at the break, I then issued a challenge to the squad "I think we're doing well but can definitely find another gear to take charge of this match (pumps fist - to encourage)."

image.thumb.png.74c750bfefe702569871c588885df92e.png

What you want to be doing is checking this after games where you have either suffered a defeat or played poorly and have either given players the hair-dryer treatment or issued them a challenge.

Reviewing the players non-verbal communication and adding notes against individuals who have responded poorly, remember 90% of communication is non-verbal and in the hunt of marginal gains a review of this screen every now and again will help you to ascertain who you can rely on in those big games and who you need to avoid. 

Like this a lot. I usually give my freed back through praise or criticism of player performance interaction, Ben mentioned using criticism of development to challenge younger players who aren’t up to scratch. This here that your doing could match up with senior players to see who you could challenge to try get more out of them along with revealing what kind of players you have. 

Like this a lot. I usually give my freed back through praise or criticism of player performance interaction, Ben mentioned using criticism of development to challenge younger players who aren’t up to scratch. This here that your doing could match up with senior players to see who you could challenge to try get more out of them along with revealing what kind of players you have. 

Yes mate you are indeed right, individual praise/criticism is the way to attempt to alter the behaviours of those individuals which can be pinpointed from above.

I am not 💯 percent certain but I think that these individual discussions can lead to slight adjustments to individuals playing style.

For example, if a winger scored a goal and you praised them for scoring, would this lead to them attempting a few more shots over say looking for the pass/cross?

All this talk about other domestic clubs using their money wisely, I decided to have a look in the IGE to see how much money the other sides have.

What have they done with all that money? They're practically broke. All the top Scottish clubs really should be stupidly rich at this point.

Rangers wage expenditure is practically the same as at the start of the save. Celtic's has gone up 150%.  Ours more than 500% as you'd expect, but still much less than the big 2.

To an extent, it doesn't matter what other clubs spend the money on, but it would be really helpful if they spent on facilities. The DYR isn't going to increase enough to be affected by league reputation.

I do think these build a nation saves are undermined a bit by the limitations of the other teams' AI.

50 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Yes mate you are indeed right, individual praise/criticism is the way to attempt to alter the behaviours of those individuals which can be pinpointed from above.

I am not 💯 percent certain but I think that these individual discussions can lead to slight adjustments to individuals playing style.

For example, if a winger scored a goal and you praised them for scoring, would this lead to them attempting a few more shots over say looking for the pass/cross?

That would be a good question for someone at SI to come back with. Maybe not instantly but perhaps over time they would. 

23 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

What have they done with all that money? They're practically broke. All the top Scottish clubs really should be stupidly rich at this point.

They sound a little like my wife, clearly from what you are seeing through the IGE the club's are looking to make short term gains overlooking long term investments, which is great at first but given the fluctuations of league finished and differentiation of prize money has lead to them having little or in fact no disposable income. 

5 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

That would be a good question for someone at SI to come back with.

Do you know of anyway I can ask? Or do I need to hope and pray that a MOD etc reads the post 😂

Just now, MattyLewis11 said:

They sound a little like my wife, clearly from what you are seeing through the IGE the club's are looking to make short term gains overlooking long term investments, which is great at first but given the fluctuations of league finished and differentiation of prize money has lead to them having little or in fact no disposable income. 

Do you know of anyway I can ask? Or do I need to hope and pray that a MOD etc reads the post 😂

Just start tagging some moderators 🤣 

6 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

It's considered bad form to @ a particular SI person.

There are general threads in the tactics forum that you can ask questions. You'll probably get knowitalls not from SI replying as well, but c'est la vie.

I'd suggest here

I think your query fits the criteria.

Worth searching in that thread for the words praise and criticism as well. Am currently about to have a shuftie meself.

Edited by vikeologist

4 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

It's considered bad form to @ a particular SI person.

There are general threads in the tactics forum that you can ask questions. You'll probably get knowitalls not from SI replying as well, but c'est la vie.

I'd suggest here

I think your query fits the criteria.

I will give it a go and see what they come back with, would be good to know regardless...thanks both.

Another approach is to just scan the posts of certain people.

For instance, if you were to @ somebody, which as I say you shouldn't, it might be Seb Wassell from SI. 

There are some very knowledgeable people who don't work for SI. The only trouble is that they might be wrong. Mind you sometimes SI are wrong. They know what they want to happen, not always what actually does.

UPDATE: Hold on. Maybe Seb has left. 

Just ignore me.

Edited by vikeologist

Team talks are surprisingly important, or at least can be a really useful tool. They can really set the tone for a match or a half. Like you said - hard to tell exactly the effects, but certainly useful. I don’t check that “reactions” screen as much as I’d like, but I cycle through it from time to time.

I also key in on individuals, both in the full team talks and when they’re subbed in. I had a mentally weak super sub who often got told he could make a difference when he was sent on and, when I did that, he scored way more. I don’t have good, hard data to back that up, but it happened enough that it was definitely a thing. Also like to challenge stronger players to give a performance etc.

And yes, of course you kept the data. I do season end cloud saves as well to look back on things. As a side note, after creating my own view in the squad screen, I’m suddenly seeing the possibilities of stats and data in supporting my tactical thinking and personnel choices. It’s taking a bit but I’m liking the possibilities and it’s adding a new dimension!