How do you play in away games against top teams using Gegenpressing?

I am currently in my 5th season in Italy with Lazio and I am completely dominating the league, already winner with 4 games to play. However, I noticed that in the later rounds of CL games, particularly in away games, I tend to be dominated much and concede a lot. I have analyzed my games multiple times and the way how I concede and it is every single time the same... Since I play 41221 with "Play from the back" instructions, I either lose the ball while I try to build up a game and give away a cheap goal or my CBs/CDM play it to my keeper and he just smashes it high instead of using the full backs, ball comes back like a ping-pong and the striker is through... However, once I break that first line of pressure, I can create chances quite easily.Also this is only happening in away games. For instance, I lost to City 4-2 in the first game of the CL semis, but beat them 3-0 in the second leg using the very same tactic.

I want to use a more cautious style in away games, without changing/modify my running tactic. I thought about removing the "Play from the back" instruction and I am also thinking about what to instruct my keeper when it comes to transitions. I have Immobile as a striker, who is not the tallest, also my wingers are not physical. I thought about distributing it to the full backs using short kicks, would that be a good idea? How do you guys handle such games? Is removing the "Play from the back" instruction enough to overcome that first line of pressure?

I keep my possession system largely similar, but I’ve had success by using a higher tempo, in order to avoid getting caught on the ball by a high press. Also increasing the passing directness can be helpful, to try and by pass the high press.

I also try to have a direct runner or two, to challenge in behind their high line, as that’s where the space is.

As you mention, I tend to be quite a bit more direct in buildup. When this starts being a problem consistently I also tend to look at bringing in a Plan B in the form of an extremely physically dominant target forward - Lorenzo Lucca is a good, cheap shout in this year's edition. You can also consider 3ATB as this generally means you outnumber the gegenpressing team during buildup. My most convincing victories against teams like Liverpool have been in 3ATB systems with an absolute ogre of a forward up top, typically on the side of the aerially weakest CB.

Interestingly, you can use this exact same type of system against teams that stubbornly sit very deep - 3ATB allows every other role on the pitch to take a lot of risk, and if you use counterpressing + counter you can effectively use the target forward as a human battering ram by playing the ball onto him and being extremely aggressive off the 2nd ball.

Edited by Sneaky Pete