Volendam - Continuing the Velvet Revolution.

xLiamReynoldsx

Influcenced by various stories I've been reading over the years, I've decided to start my own career update with FC Volendam. The below is taken from a Sky Sports article which made me want to start this save. It's my first time I've ever done anything like this, so sorry if my formatting is off!

While Ajax’s stadium bears his name and Barcelona seek to return to his principles, if there is one club currently constructed in the image of Johan Cruyff, the game’s footballing philosopher, it can be found in a fishing village just north of Amsterdam.

It is here, at FC Volendam, that some of Cruyff's closest associates are implementing the ideas that the man himself once envisaged for Ajax. It is working. Volendam are top of the Eerste Divisie, unbeaten since August, and aspiring for so much more.

No club in Holland has featured a greater proportion of academy talent in the past two seasons. Cruyff's vision for football endures here under their head coach Wim Jonk, director of football Jasper van Leeuwen and the club's academy chief Ruben Jongkind.

These men were part of the so-called Velvet Revolution at Ajax, when Cruyff tried to take Ajax's academy in another direction with the emphasis on developing individual talent. The politics there saw the Cruyff plan curtailed just months before his passing in 2016.

Now those who sought to realise his ambitions - Jongkind wrote the Cruyff plan, transcribed from conversations with him - are showing what is possible at Volendam instead. "The vision remains the same, the ideas remain the same," Jongkind tells Sky Sports: "It is a club that, when we got here, we found it at the bottom of the table. It had problems with everything, financially, organisationally and commercially. We don't really have a lot of resources so we have to be creative."

A few points to note:

I've already completed the first season, we won promotion via being league champions. 

I also have the january transfer update from sortitoutsi.net. 

Next update to come when I've completed my transfer window. 

Hope you all enjoyed the short read - I look forward to updating you further in the future!

Good luck @xLiamReynoldsx - I've got a save running as Volendam as well.

Check out this article on Wim Jonk's tactics - https://footballbh.net/2020/05/11/wim-jonk-at-volendam-2019-20-tactical-analysis-tactics/

I used it as a guide to building a tactic for them, and it played some great looking football, thought it might be cool to stick to their teams real life philosophy.

Good luck. I'm 4 seasons into a save with them I started from the beginning wanting to use a 3-4-3 Cruyff diamond, play a brand of Total Football and make them the new Ajax. I couldn't believe when I read the article the other day that in real life they were looking at similar principals 

Love the idea of continuing the great work going on at the club and continue the great mans masterplan!
I’ve been working on positional football for the last two careers I’ve done myself with a lot of johans ideas and philosophy. And @karanhsingh shared the this article to me about Volendam https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59954007

Also in my Sparta save I’ve found Volendam to have some real good players. And the second season they produced a wonderful regen and i signed him. 

Following closely and best of luck. 

Edited by SixPointer

Some sad news to bring you all. I think the save is dead before its even started. My new season won't load. It's still in the current season despite being in september! (I holidayed a few months to see if it changed) 

Any advice on how to fix so I can continue?

If there is no fix - please feel free to leave me team suggestions on teams with similar philosophies as Volendam.image.thumb.png.6defd4082529e84ca6ffdbc38e76191c.png