Review AI manager hiring for lower reputation teams

Supermercado99

As below - it makes no sense that a League 1 and 2 sides would be hiring managers who have literally done nothing in football. This happens all the time in the lower leagues. By 2028 there are a few lower league managers poached from other clubs, but nobody's promoting from within or signing somebody else's youth team managers.

It's approaching bug territory watching Birmingham hire 34-year-old nobodies when there's 160 odd clubs between Premier and Conference North/South that could provide experienced managerial talent.

It's even worse when you play with custom databases that have dozens of active non-league clubs and relatively big teams are still picking regens to manage them.

Can this please be reviewed for future versions and/or a patch? It's terrible for immersion.

image.png.58a72159f74ea03e6a1d6f70302ffe80.png

image.thumb.png.344cbb0ed9db478b634c1059164a2728.png

Edited by Supermercado99

Lampard, Zidane...It's not uncommon in real life, and they have managed top teams without much experience in management.

Edit: Unless I have miss interpreted the issue. They are signing actual ex-footballers that weren't really playing at top tier?

Edited by (sic)

On 04/02/2022 at 02:11, (sic) said:

Lampard, Zidane...It's not uncommon in real life, and they have managed top teams without much experience in management.

Edit: Unless I have miss interpreted the issue. They are signing actual ex-footballers that weren't really playing at top tier?

In this case the people aren't even ex-players, they are regen managers with no previous history at all.

I would have no problem with ex-players jumping straight into managerial jobs. This stops that from happening by wasting vacancies with regens.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the game should block managers being picked up with an entirely empty footballing CV (i.e. generated straight into the job) for clubs above a certain reputation level.

Regen staff should absolutely be a thing, and I think it's fine for really small clubs to pick them up (you can argue in your head that they used to be a PE teacher and used that experience to get involved with the local part-time side), but it absolutely should not be happening with professional clubs in professional leagues, and certainly not with national teams as I've seen happen in my saves with Wales.

Edited by Jamaicaman90

• 1 month later...

Apologies for bringing this up again, but I think it's a case of the game generating too many people with preferred jobs as managers.

The caveat with my posts is always that I'm playing with a heavily edited database so that might throw things off (but I do see similar happening between League 2 and Conference North/South in England), but on 21 July 2023 there were 360 people of the country's nationality with a preferred job of manager who were not employed. I checked again on 16 September 2023 and there were 598 - with all the new ones aged 29 or 30. Fair enough if they generated as coaches and graduated to preferring manager jobs after getting some experience but if I've got 300 teams in my league stucture, and each of them has a manager, an assistant manager, and an Under 23s manager, why do I need 238 potential new managers added randomly after the start of the year?

In the first season the odd assistant/U23 manager jumped to another club, now probably 70% of the managerial appointments are of staff with no previous history, 20% are recycled regen managers who have been previously sacked, and the very small percent of the rest are managers changing clubs. I can see from @Jamaicaman90's post that it's happening in out of the box lower leagues too. I'd also accept if the majority of them had low reputations, but generating a 30 year old with no previous playing or coaching experience as a 3 star 'good' reputation manager is ridiculous.

I would love a look under the hood to understand how managerial appointments are decided (what the reputation calculations are, wage demands, what makes a manager jump to another side) but in the case of my game it's clear that there are far too many regen managers coming out of nowhere.  

P.S - Any way to bulk delete people using the in game editor? That would help clean out unwanted regen staff.

Edited by Supermercado99

• 6 months later...