(Non tactical) ways to stop strikers literally unable to finish chances?

My striker has excellent finishing and good composure and heading. And has been a 18 - 20 goals a season striker for the past two years. We've started this season in horrendous form, sitting in mid table, having challenged for the title last year with the same squad, I've noticed my striker missing the easiest chances, mostly 1 vs 1's and close range headers, and the stats have backed me up. We've created the most clear cut chances in the league by far, but the conversion rate is in the bottom 25%. In the data hub, we have the lowest attacking efficiency (high xG, low goals) and my striker is the most wasteful finisher.

I would understand more if I was using a false 9 or target man, where they have responsibilites other than scoring, but my tactic is designed to create chances for my most lethal finisher, he has one job and is doing woefully. This tends to happen to me at least every few seasons in every save I do, and it's always preventing me from taking the next step. This has to be some sort of game mechanic, since my striker always aims his shots directly at the keeper, or shoots with low power over the bar.. every time. When the ball falls to any other player, even with significantly worse finishing and composure, I see laser-like shots into the bottom corner with power and precision. Also what's weird is that he's scored two goals that were ruled off-side, where the finishing was suprisingly excellent, as if he knew it wouldnt count anyway. It seems like the game isn't letting him score until I sort something out with my team talks or player interaction. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? and if so how did you fix it?

Are your squads attributes at what level if you compare them to other teams in your league? Do you have competition for that striker position? Some players just can't carry the weight what's been put on their shoulders and sometimes competition is the thing to wake them up. 

I had a similar issue with Mbappe, the thing that seemed to fix it is to criticise recent form, put your arm around him and say something like you have faith that he'll start scoring again, or the one that mentions that they've been making mistakes and you have faith they'll come good.

Seemed to help for me.

2 hours ago, MasterKano said:

It's fundamentally broken but SI won't admit to it.

Shots/goal ratio, one-on-ones and xG are borked and have been since the last iteration of the game.

You could possibly make the case for 1 v 1s, but over the course of half a season or a season, you'll find (or you should find) that both the ration and xG should be within what's reasonable. That's both for FM22 and FM21.

My own chance conversion rate is usually around 13-15% for me (with other teams all between 7% and 15%) and I regularly out perform xG, both in terms of goals scored and goals conceded.

In a single match, it's possible for anomalies, but over time, there shouldn't be. Unless there's a flaw in how you're setting up, players not good enough, etc.

I was doing a lot of research before and after making this post, and I think I've turned things around.

First ~9 games of the season - excellent all round play, but shocking finshing from my one striker. He had 1 goal in 9. Majority of games end in draws despite being winnable.

Next 5 games - all against tough opposition + an injury crisis leads to poor overall play and results. Record of 1W-0D-4L. 

By this point I had already criticised my star striker, telling him something along the lines of "I don't know how much longer we can keep you in the team" and dropped him for the last two games. Now that the players are clearly low on confidence and on poor form all round (not just my ST), I decide to ease expectations. Next game against a slightly stronger side at home, I go open arms and say enjoy the game. I put my striker back in the side and he immediately scores a 1vs1. By half time we're 3-1 down but definitely been unlucky. I go outstretched arms again and say we've been playing well. At the end of the game we lose 3-1 but played a strong second half, and again I praised the boys.

Next game is winnable at home, I again lower the expectations with praising and 'no pressure' team talks, and we win 4-1 with my striker scoring a hat-trick. Looks like he's finally back.

Edited by Jack722

Yeah, players feeling the pressure can whiff chances and that can snowball, affecting their confidence even more.

Other factors could be a player's (lack of) Consistency. Or that the chances for a player typically falls to his weaker foot.