One drive issue

I've recently swapped my FM save from one laptop to a new one (it was a week old before i noticed the webcam was broken, so returned it for a new one). 

On the first laptop everything worked fine.  Now though, I am having issues with my save location moving around from different locations, such as one drive and locally on the C drive.  I think i used one drive to transfer something over.

I was considering trying to backup my FM save, but worried that One drive will save it into somewere which I cant get it back.  I dont know why One drive is uploading all these files as I never asked it to.

Any advice on how to sort getting everything saved in the correct place were I dont need to be online to access it? Would i be better off backing up my save and uninstalling then reinstalling, or is there an easier way?

• Administrators

If you go into preferences in-game and search 'location' you can change the folder location your save games save to. That may help. 

OneDrive configurations can be a bit of a pain - would suggest doing a bit of a search online to figure out how it's working within your current setup and get it setup in such a way that best suits the way you want to save your files. 

12 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

If you go into preferences in-game and search 'location' you can change the folder location your save games save to. That may help. 

OneDrive configurations can be a bit of a pain - would suggest doing a bit of a search online to figure out how it's working within your current setup and get it setup in such a way that best suits the way you want to save your files. 

I had changed the location and had also signed out of one drive, but the next time i turned the laptop on, it was syncing my FM folders and had reverted back to saving my games in One drive, (unless "this PC" is also on one drive?)

it shows as C:\Users\me\OneDrive\Documents\Sports Interactive in both instances when I choose to save on PC, or if I look via one drive.  I am new to windows 11 (last time i played FM was 2019 on windows 7 i think).

i have tried to stop one drive syncing my folders but it wont as it always stays part way through syncing as I used logos and they take an age to backup, but because it is already part way through, I cant tell it to never do this until it finishes.

To be clear, everything does seem to be working fine, its just that my folders look a mess, i've got a whole set of subfolders (editor data, crash dumps) inside my game (for saved games) as well as the folder above that.  I tried to delete them but then Fm wouldnt load.

Edited by coopie54
add more info

I have tried to move my sports interactive folder into my C drive to enable me to turn off syncing for one drive, but one drive is still trying to sync and now FM won’t load…any suggestions?

• Administrators

The game defaults to pointing towards wherever your 'Documents' folder is set to by default through Windows. It's here that the initial 'Sports Interactive' folder will be generated and all the subsequent folders will be created (so games, tactics etc). 

OneDrive is set up as your documents folder by default, so as said you'll need to look specifically at your Windows and OneDrive configuration to change this. 

There is a power user way of setting up the default folder location to be somewhere different which you can find instructions for at the following link (bear in mind these are for a previous FM but the same principles apply) - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2020/238_how-to/241_pc/how-to-change-the-sports-interactive-folder-location-r855/

This is likely to help with your FM issue, but OneDrive may still cause you problems with other files. 

It is still not working properly.  Now the game won't load properly, and I have got numerous copies of folders all over the place, and i keep getting this notification...

I dont really know what to do now.

Screenshot 2022-01-27 100831.png

Hi,  this thread can be closed now.  I put my laptop back to factory settings and rejected the one drive use this time and now all appears good.  Thanks