A Guide to Squad Building

A bit about Squad Cohesion which you mentioned at the start. This year I'm playing a save in the Netherlands with Volendam where I'm restricting myself to only sign Dutch players. Additionally I aim to sign players with favorable Personalities and that match my 'DNA' (Anticipation, Composure, Decisions, Determination, Teamwork, Work Rate).

While it's a bit of a challenge, I find it greatly helps with Squad Cohesion and integrating new signings. I'm currently about three months into my third season and all but two players are part of the Core Social group. There is only 1 social group, and then two individuals who aren't part of any group. The two individuals were signings from last summer, while all my other signings already integrated into the core group. (What might've helped is that I always ask my captain to help welcome & settle a new signing).

Finally I do include Team Bonding as a training session every week. I cannot look it up right now but I believe this also states that it helps squad cohesion.

This is also quite a help when it comes to mentoring, as basically all players belong to the same social group, which is one of the factors I consider in creating mentoring groups.

Personally I also believe it helps to create player partnerships on the past (the green lines in your tactics screen) faster.

Obviously playing with the restrictions I use won't be for everyone, but some takeaways:

• Signing players from the same nationality (or who share at least the same language) can really help Squad Cohesion
  • Signing players with similar personalities (and possibly similar attribute outlays) can help Squad Cohesion
  • Ask your (vice)captain to welcome new signings and help them settle in, this could include a player into a social group faster which helps squad cohesion and mentoring

2 hours ago, Dereka said:

A bit about Squad Cohesion which you mentioned at the start. This year I'm playing a save in the Netherlands with Volendam where I'm restricting myself to only sign Dutch players. Additionally I aim to sign players with favorable Personalities and that match my 'DNA' (Anticipation, Composure, Decisions, Determination, Teamwork, Work Rate).

While it's a bit of a challenge, I find it greatly helps with Squad Cohesion and integrating new signings. I'm currently about three months into my third season and all but two players are part of the Core Social group. There is only 1 social group, and then two individuals who aren't part of any group. The two individuals were signings from last summer, while all my other signings already integrated into the core group. (What might've helped is that I always ask my captain to help welcome & settle a new signing).

Finally I do include Team Bonding as a training session every week. I cannot look it up right now but I believe this also states that it helps squad cohesion.

This is also quite a help when it comes to mentoring, as basically all players belong to the same social group, which is one of the factors I consider in creating mentoring groups.

Personally I also believe it helps to create player partnerships on the past (the green lines in your tactics screen) faster.

Obviously playing with the restrictions I use won't be for everyone, but some takeaways:

• Signing players from the same nationality (or who share at least the same language) can really help Squad Cohesion
  • Signing players with similar personalities (and possibly similar attribute outlays) can help Squad Cohesion
  • Ask your (vice)captain to welcome new signings and help them settle in, this could include a player into a social group faster which helps squad cohesion and mentoring

Really excellent advice & thoughts - agree 100%

18 hours ago, llama3 said:

Our captain and vice-captain are not the personalities I want - ultimately I need to look to replace them in the short-medium term

Any advice for this? How to “phase out” the old captain / vice captain for the new? 

2 hours ago, kepz said:

Any advice for this? How to “phase out” the old captain / vice captain for the new? 

It's ideal if you can leave things on terms as good as possible, so selling rather than stripping the captaincy a good idea. I waited until the summer to offer them out - much easier if there's already interest and you can simply take advantage of them, but I'd reduce Aubameyang's squad status over the season already. I persuaded them to accept transfer listing and got enough interest to move them on quickly enough. I'd rather take the hit and accept basically a poor deal then leave someone stinking the place out. I subsidised Aubameyang's wages to make that one happen. I was also on good terms with them both just through lots of regular interaction over form, training performances, squad matters etc., so it means they're more likely to accept what you say than tell you to get stuffed.