Some players just plain don't get injured IRL - not so in FM.

..Valhalla..

This is really starting to annoy me - look at Mo Salah's injury history at game start. There are none, because he's never injured. Yet within the first season his injury history will be peppered with various knocks, strains, fractures, illnesses. I just started a new game last night, and the very first time I pressed continue I got the notification that he is injured for 3 months. This is not even surprising, sadly. He's missed a grand total of 10 matches (ten!) IRL through injury since 2012, and only 3 for Liverpool.  

Likewise Robert Lewandowski - any time I manage him, he's constantly injured, yet rarely IRL.

Luis Suarez - never injured IRL, never out of the treatment room in FM. 

Thomas Muller - never injured IRL, same as Suarez he's never out of the treatment room in FM.

Cristiano Ronaldo - his physical condition is really quite remarkable, the stuff of legend, but good luck keeping him injury free in your game. 

Ceaser Azpilicueta - another example of a player who just doesn't get injured, but in FM he won't make it one season for you without being ruled out multiple times.

There should be a hidden trait, something like "peak physical player" or "never injured" or something that would mean these players can be used realistically without them constantly ruled out with injuriies the real players never ever get. 

Eh. There's a lot of coincidence in this stuff. The rise to greatness inevitably involves luck. If a player is unlucky enough to be injured with any regularity early in their career, it's [very generally speaking] unlikely they will ascend to greatness, irrespective of their raw talent. Conversely, if a player is lucky enough to be able to play regularly early on, they'll certainly have a better shot at becoming a legend.

The guys you mention are all reaching the tail end of their careers, which pretty obviously will predispose them to a greater risk of injury.

None of this is to say that there are not players that are particularly physically resilient and robust, but even that is no inoculation against a broken leg or concussion or whatever freak injuries can occur.

I feel like the injury proneness rating does a pretty good job.

@JRHaggs - just to add, I don't feel the overall number of injuries are an issue, I just feel certain players are injured much more in FM than they ever have been IRL. I chose those older players because they've got longer histories available, so more data as "proof" of being very resilient to injuries. 

@..Valhalla..Yeah, I think I understand what you're getting at.

I guess I'm just more inclined to chalk their injury history up to luck than some quality relating to injury resistance. And I think injury-related luck is an almost necessary component in most greats' rise to greatness.

The potential for muscle and ligament damage does seem to be a sort of static value IRL. Bone breaks and the like defy that though.

I don't really know what  injury proneness affects, but I *think* it applies to all injuries. Perhaps it should just relate to chronic injuries to muscles and ligaments and not apply to things like concussions and bone breaks? I don't know.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

I see what you're saying but I think it would be more likely to injury proneness as a whole, rather than something that can be fixed player by player.

There's nothing to stop a player becoming more injury prones as they get further into their career, and nothing to stop a one-off freak injury happening at any point in life. 

Every game is different, and while X and Y may be inundated with injuries on your save, over the course of everyone playing it will even out to be at a level that's consistent with reality.