cup tie mapping and draw rules with 24 team group stage

hillerdakiller

Trying to replicate the knockout stage that exists in the 24-team European championship.

I am familiar with the draw rules used in the world cup (position A1 vs B2, B1 vs A2) but these are always the same. However in the Euros, the draw depends on which third placed teams qualify, so the winner of Group A can play a third placed team from any of Group D/E/F.

The problem is the cup tie indexes used to make A1 vs B2 (0 vs 3) will be different every time under a 24 team competition, as sometimes 3rd place in Group A will qualify, giving it index "2" and other times they will not, meaning the winner of Group B will receive "2".

Is there any way to solve this problem and replicate the EUROs style knockout stage in the editor??

• 1 year later...

Hi, have you tried using valid draw rules?

If you go to the first cup stage, and click on rounds, and then under each valid round click the option Keep "Teams From Same Previous Group Apart" and do this for each round apart from the 3rd placed playoff and final.  I'm trying for my version of a 48 team World Cup, and i'm confident it works... the only issue I have is that, like you, i can't work out the cup-tie mapping to keep this fixed, but at least there is an element of realism by using the option.

Teams can play their groupmates in a semfinal in that situation though. I mean you can tick that box and it will keep them apart if it can, but it's not as realistic, as the actual Euro draw involves teams potentially playing a groupmate in the semifinal (your method will mean it depends who wins a certain quarterfinal in some circumstances, either the groupmate or someone else, so it's not even consistent with the imagined unseen fixed draw you're going with). Not sure if that makes sense