[FM24] [WIP] Iron Curtain 1988 - If you rebuild it, it will come.

Level 4 will need some more checks as I am seeing issues, for both USSR and West Germany. These are different from the ones in West Germany a while back, so need to dive into this.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jorgen said:

Aren't you afraid that this enormous edit-work can't be migrated to FM23? 

Or is the game not so much changed between versions?

It is a matter of wait and see every year what SI does with the editor. Sometimes you get things like the FM21 editor which wasn't that great because of the start of the pandemic. This year we got the Russian surprise.

Fear the worst, hope for the best.

7 hours ago, Jorgen said:

Russian surprise? Do you mean the war, or is there a specific Russian issue in the editor?

The changes SI made to the game due the war.

2 hours ago, Jorgen said:

O, aha. I wasn't aware they did. I'm still playing FM18 and FM20 and haven't bought FM22 yet.

Russia and Belarus don't play at home anymore for ongoing games in DB versions 22.1 and 22.3. In 22.4 Russia is excluded from international football and there are transfer restrictions as well (unsure if those already already in 22.1 and 22.3).

I have worked around it by moving everything to the Soviet Union. For a moment I thought I could handle most of it by creating new competition files, but in the end the transfer limitations made me decide to use Soviet Union.

Random question, but when you're adding clubs that no longer exist, do you just leave their roster blank? And then they can pick up players that are now unemployed and were playing on a team that was created post-1990 which you've now deleted? Or are you replacing personnel with 1990-era players and coaches too?

Players will have to be moved and depending on reputation they will get players assigned. Teams with 1 reputation won't get them, but higher reputation teams will.

In the meantime I have finished the East German check for all German players without birthcity and have started editing nationalities and second nationalities while in the meantime level 4 new test is running after some minor changes.

It has been rather quiet from my side. Reason is that I am working hard on the nationality data and that’s a bit boring to report every day :D

More interesting is that I am starting to finalise the 22.3 version of the various National competitions.

Finalising the international competitions in 22.3 will need a few of the 22.1 files to be finished first, so that will take a little bit longer.

In other news, I have set up a new file for Hong Kong, which will be added to the bunch and I hope to update the status post (2nd one of the thread) soon with finished items.

But from now on, there are no more Slovak players in the database. They all have been Czeched ;)

On to Yugoslavia where, to my surprise already is a person with the Yugoslav nationality in the database. Bit of an odd one :)

il y a 21 minutes, Wolf_pd a dit :

But from now on, there are no more Slovak players in the database. They all have been Czeched ;)

On to Yugoslavia where, to my surprise already is a person with the Yugoslav nationality in the database. Bit of an odd one :)

For some strange reasons, Slobodan Marovic is still considered as Yougoslav/Montenegrin, probably someone at SI who didn't check

23 minutes ago, teamemutest said:

For some strange reasons, Slobodan Marovic is still considered as Yougoslav/Montenegrin, probably someone at SI who didn't check

Might have been old data. The older an error is, less chance that it will ever be changed.

Hey, 

sorry to bother if it was already said inside the thread, but it is getting quite big by now.
I greatly enjoyed the iron curtain mod for FM16 and was just checking out if there is one for FM22.
Through the thread i saw that you are doing a wonderful job, but there are some things i dont understand yet.

First of all. Is this mod made for fm22 or are you doing the work now and then to try and rush it out for fm 23?
If you make it for fm 23, would you be so kind and still release the WIP for fm 22? 

Second question would be. When do you think a playable version would be ready. 
I would love to play the mod on my twitch stream and i told some friends IRL about the old mod and they are all quite hyped too. 
Thank you for all your work and you cant imagine how much appreciated it is, mods like this make me want to go home from work early, because i just cant wait to progress :)

This is for FM22. Can't say anything about a release date yet as we have still Yugoslavia to do, East Germany, Soviet Union to finish and a boatload of data changes.

FM23 no idea at this moment. That fully depends on what is going to be released.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Wolf_pd:

This is for FM22. Can't say anything about a release date yet as we have still Yugoslavia to do, East Germany, Soviet Union to finish and a boatload of data changes.

FM23 no idea at this moment. That fully depends on what is going to be released.

Thanks for your quick answer. Wonderful, i cant wait to play it when its finished. If there are ways to support the team, let me know 

23 hours ago, Jorgen said:

When this is finished, I suppose that certain estethic mods that go in the editor and steam folders must be undone for this to work properly?

Yes, but they will noted down in the installation notes, so you know what works and what doesn.t

Thanks!

I am very interested in this mod because it changes the world so much.

Many years ago there were some users that created entirely new worlds too. I've followed their threads with great interest.

47 minutes ago, Jorgen said:

Thanks!

I am very interested in this mod because it changes the world so much.

Many years ago there were some users that created entirely new worlds too. I've followed their threads with great interest.

It’s a lot of work to do it in great detail and the advanced rules don’t make it easier, but seeing it work out is so satisfying :)

What is worse, I have so much crazier ideas still, but they are all fictional and depend a lot on some research I am doing on how some of the game mechanics work for names, newgens and such.

7 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

It’s a lot of work to do it in great detail and the advanced rules don’t make it easier, but seeing it work out is so satisfying :)

What is worse, I have so much crazier ideas still, but they are all fictional and depend a lot on some research I am doing on how some of the game mechanics work for names, newgens and such.

Respect for the gigantic task you've set for yourself

I have lots of ideas too, but atm no chance of creating it. An entirely new world based on former regions and such, like yours, but worldwide.

Edited by Jorgen

2 hours ago, Jorgen said:

Respect for the gigantic task you've set for yourself

I have lots of ideas too, but atm no chance of creating it. An entirely new world based on former regions and such, like yours, but worldwide.

Similar plan here, and just the planning already takes a lot of time. I am too perfectionistic :D

3 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Similar plan here, and just the planning already takes a lot of time. I am too perfectionistic :D

As perfectionists, we should think about easier plans, instead of magnum opuses, 😉 and find the middle way between "nothing" and "an entire new world"
Last time a made a mod myself, I started by editing the club reputations and change them into their ELO-ratings. I felt 100 teams should be enough. But in the end I did 2000. (Just before my editor file crashed and I could start again)

1 hour ago, Jorgen said:

As perfectionists, we should think about easier plans, instead of magnum opuses, 😉 and find the middle way between "nothing" and "an entire new world"

Too late :D

8 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

What is worse, I have so much crazier ideas still

How about something like the Iron Curtain, but with the world changed to reflect the political structure of 1914 – complete with colonial rule?  ;-)

7 hours ago, Daniel Evensen said:

How about something like the Iron Curtain, but with the world changed to reflect the political structure of 1914 – complete with colonial rule?  ;-)

I think we discussed 1930 as that would be the first world championship year. In terms of challenge, it is about the same.

4 ore fa, Wolf_pd ha scritto:

I think we discussed 1930 as that would be the first world championship year. In terms of challenge, it is about the same.

This is such an amazing setting. While the research would be a nightmare, I imagine there were way less clubs. I can't even think how were football pyramids back then. 

2 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

This is such an amazing setting. While the research would be a nightmare, I imagine there were way less clubs. I can't even think how were football pyramids back then. 

We  were only thinking at the national level untill now. As you say, research would be a nightmare, several nations would only have localized competitions or city competitions and not have an official championship even (see Russia for instance).

Would still be a quicker edit though since no need for all kind of difficult international competitions. Most of the nations didn't exist yet and don't get started about international competitions ;)

Maybe, maybe for a next project in 2024 :D

3 hours ago, Daniel Evensen said:

I know that Germany would be pretty bizarre, at least.

But, yeah, looks like an interesting project for the future.

What about Austria-Hungary for that matter? Because that one has an even more complicated setup.

Edit: Looking at the list of nations this one could be a lot harder as there are various nations we can't account for.

I have put the competitions asode for a moment as I need a bit more time to work out issues and the evenings are just short for that. Next month I have three weeks off so much more time.

I am seeing a massive difference in processing speed between FM22 and FM20 and I am not talking from my computer ;) Working through Serbian data in a few days was a three week job last year.

1 hour ago, Wolf_pd said:

I have put the competitions asode for a moment as I need a bit more time to work out issues and the evenings are just short for that. Next month I have three weeks off so much more time.

I am seeing a massive difference in processing speed between FM22 and FM20 and I am not talking from my computer ;) Working through Serbian data in a few days was a three week job last year.

Awesome. Keep up the good work.

Make sure to take a few good breaks though. I know how fuzzy your head can feel after a few hours of Editing.

For Yugoslavia after two days (started early Saturday) Macedonia, 90 items today and then it's Kosovo and convert everybody to Serbian. Since I was outside for most of the day yesterday that whole Yugoslavia in just over two days which is surprising for myself. but very positive.

Might help that I am recognizing names from the database now :D

And the Yugoslavia re-nationailsation is done.

Total amount of changes in the file is now: 31576

Next up I have a days with other work to do (physio, preparing the bedroom for painting and the actual painting) and then USSR is up in the coming weekend. I am not sure I will be able to finish it, but I am pretty sure I can get a lot done. Finishing USSR before the end of the month would be nice, so I have it finished before I return to working on the competitions.

7 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

And the Yugoslavia re-nationailsation is done.

Total amount of changes in the file is now: 31576

Next up I have a days with other work to do (physio, preparing the bedroom for painting and the actual painting) and then USSR is up in the coming weekend. I am not sure I will be able to finish it, but I am pretty sure I can get a lot done. Finishing USSR before the end of the month would be nice, so I have it finished before I return to working on the competitions.

Hi Wolf,

How did you re-nationalise the players and staff? And i mean those that have serb or croat or other ex yug nationalities as their second nationality?

56 minutes ago, josuts said:

Hi Wolf,

How did you re-nationalise the players and staff? And i mean those that have serb or croat or other ex yug nationalities as their second nationality?

Cleaning out all that have more than one ex Yugoslav was most work. For instance there were about 1000 Serbians with second nationality Bosnia.

Then it is a matter of where is someone born. Born in former Yugoslavia and a resounding Yugoslav name, you remove the second nationality and change his main nationality to the nation of birth.

The players need to be edited as for Yugoslavia, only Serbian nationality needs to work, while Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia, Macedonia, Montenegro and Kosovo are removed. You could use the fake all players settings, but you would still need to edit the nationalities.

Creating fake players? Well, how many do you want to have? Yugoslavia does have about 10-15000 players now (just a guess, computer is shut down for the evening).

8 hours ago, josuts said:

i see.Sounds interesting! How do you mass edit it? is there a combination of keys or not? Sorry to bother you with so many questions

Just a select all, and edit. The computer needs to have the fire power for it, but that’s just it.

To explain a bit more about how I work with it. Let’s look at Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He is a Swede with Croatian and Bosnian second nationality.

First I removed the Croatian nationality as only one of the two second nationalities needs to be changed to Serbian.

Then the question is, where is he born? Malmö, Sweden, so his Swedish nationality is OK and we keep it that way. Rinse and repeat those checks for 7 nations :)

2 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

The players need to be edited as for Yugoslavia, only Serbian nationality needs to work, while Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia, Macedonia, Montenegro and Kosovo are removed. You could use the fake all players settings, but you would still need to edit the nationalities.

Creating fake players? Well, how many do you want to have? Yugoslavia does have about 10-15000 players now (just a guess, computer is shut down for the evening).

I meant that if you let the game create rosters at the savegame start, wouldn't it automaticly create all the players you need, with the right nationalities? 

10 hours ago, Jorgen said:

I meant that if you let the game create rosters at the savegame start, wouldn't it automaticly create all the players you need, with the right nationalities? 

Good question, not sure if it would populate the teams with the correct amount of foreign players for each team though.

Hmm, it would mean removing everyone as fake players only replace the existing ones with renamed ones (according to someone in General Discussion). Not sure if I want to remove al players although it would create a challenge in building teams.

The option I see is to remove all players from the nations that I edit, so Europe, China, Hong Kong. These are the players based in these nations and not players from that nationality.

And then repopulate via the create players for empty teams option in the menu.

Test that for a few seasons and see what the balance is.

The idea is interesting as it is a major shortcut and saves a lot of time possibly. If it doesn’t work it would only mean a few days that I lost but that’s ok.

I have finished deleting the players as a test, about 370,000 changes.... :eek: And yes, to get a good idea what the impact  you need to do that much.

A test is running with the files. Seeing some improvements, also seeing some less positive things.

The improvements, in general the game seems to follow the rules set in the foreign rules. So China will have no (in one case two foreign players) foreign players. The USSR the same, but English and German teams do have some foreigh players, between 2 and 6. That's a positive.

Then the negative, the namebase for the Soviet names is a mess. It might be because I am using the Soviet Union and not Russia, but the names are based on Eastern European names and not Russian/Soviet Union names. This makes me think the game is looking for names based on the Region and not the language. I am now running a longer test, about 10-15 seasons to see what happens with the Soviet names and what happens with the general balance.