Replicating Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool - 2021/22

My first 'real' post to this forum. Instead of studying for an exam tomorrow, I'm here studying Jurgen Klopp and his Liverpool side on FM22, trying my best to replicate real life. Whilst, not 100% obviously, I feel my replication is accurate enough and gets you the stats and style of play Jurgen attempts to get his side playing, and how they play anyways. I say 'style of play Jurgen attempts to get his side playing' as I go beyond how Jurgens side performs lately, this system seems to be Liverpool at their peak whilst maintaining realism and style of play incorporated. 

Where do I start? Well here is a screenshot of the base tactic and a download link.Klopp .fmf

219778624_Screenshot2022-01-16at20_24_41.thumb.png.d5fb7d9ecdb71322f7c21108b6a69240.png

Play instructions are a key part of my setup. Not going to post them as separate images as a tad busy for the moment due to a reason said in the first paragraph so unfortunately cannot spend hours writing this up. Have set pieces going but nothing really to do with Jurgen Klopp's side, then again my corners are just aimed for Virgil. I do only bring one centre back up though to replicate real life, due to fullbacks taking corners. 

Had one issue in deciding player roles, which is for Trent. As I studied footage etc and learned the football manager roles for right-backs, I was set on IWB (S) for Trent, as It gave him for angles for his crosses, as he has evolved this season to not be overlapping but to be in Henderson's position delivering great crosses. The issue.....with the inverted wing-back role, the element of crossing less often was not realistic for Trent and after a good bit of thought, I decided to use the CWB (S) with a few PI's. It worked out, his positioning is fantastic and realistic as I will show. Averaging 6 key passes a game. 

776635797_Screenshot2022-01-16at20_38_26.thumb.png.d5fe29a74de5569205a9083985d7faf8.png

passmap-600x400.png.8a208093f56e84dceb67bef398a0ac37.png

Look at the right of the real pass map of Elliott, Trent and Salah. Whilst Hendo is a different player to Harvey, he is actually playing a similar aggressive role nearly at left-winger himself. It leaves Trent exposed in real life but due to Fabinho being a BWM in-game, Trent and the RCM are usually fine. All have added PI's which can be seen by downloading the tactic (I will post PI's if there is interest). It adds a cracking triangle of movement and link-up play which no team in the game can stop with a single LB. Bobby as an F9 in the game can be changed to a DLF(S) if playing Jota instead to replicate his more poacher style whilst keeping realism. 

Used the system in my last save winning the League and CL but in my new save it is only in pre-season but shaping up to be as good. Note the only goals conceded were free-kicks :/

1464242551_Screenshot2022-01-16at20_46_38.thumb.png.06045bb8767cdf0ee48adcb199d72420.png

Hope you guys enjoy it. It's my first time posting really. Plenty I can improve on and back my points better on. I will update if this gets a few upvotes or replies so I can defend my ideas. 

Edited by Kloppy

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, halfspace3000 said:

Great replication , i would say when Elliot is back , he will play RCM as a Mezzalla

Thanks, pal, appreciated. Yeah really looking forward to him returning, such a talent. Liverpool needs a spark in the midfield and hopefully, he is the man. Yeah, I think so as well. Wonder will his return have any change on Trent with a less defensive player alongside him?

Only 3 games in not including pre-season. Very easy at the minute, goals galore. Salah 7 goals and 3 assists in 3 games. Good stats all around. Only one goal from a corner with Virgil, so no set-piece abuse tactics going on. Will continue to update. 

1108200084_Screenshot2022-01-16at23_57_14.thumb.png.dfa1312e3a73da5f99163978ff88457b.png1700594172_Screenshot2022-01-16at23_55_37.thumb.png.a92e1670fcdc0459a0a7174e4b1931ab.png

Like your approach - decided to give it a shot (as more-less my team will have tactical familiarity) to get good use of my CWB. Played two games - one very lucky with Arsenal (but they very strong and have issues with them most of the time) and then I devastated Atletico. Nice replication, nice football. I was thinking to change BWM to Anchorman, but I like how he is playing and assisting. Kudos. 

FM - 1.jpeg

FM - 2.jpeg

FM - 3.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Lewis Stewart said:

Like your approach - decided to give it a shot (as more-less my team will have tactical familiarity) to get good use of my CWB. Played two games - one very lucky with Arsenal (but they very strong and have issues with them most of the time) and then I devastated Atletico. Nice replication, nice football. I was thinking to change BWM to Anchorman, but I like how he is playing and assisting. Kudos. 

FM - 1.jpeg

FM - 2.jpeg

FM - 3.jpeg

Thanks for trusting my first replication, genuinely means a lot. Love that RCM, RW, RB triangle on the last picture. Yeah, I was actually thinking of an anchorman on the DM while researching, definitely should explore it even if it does slow his attacking abilities. I'm conceding a goal a game at the minute which is poor. Might have to change to an anchorman to slow this. Do keep me informed on your save with the tactic though. 

18 minutes ago, Kloppy said:

Thanks for trusting my first replication, genuinely means a lot. Love that RCM, RW, RB triangle on the last picture. Yeah, I was actually thinking of an anchorman on the DM while researching, definitely should explore it even if it does slow his attacking abilities. I'm conceding a goal a game at the minute which is poor. Might have to change to an anchorman to slow this. Do keep me informed on your save with the tactic though. 

Just in response. Tried the Anchor instead of the BWM (kept the same PI's). Champions League game against Brugge, using a B team including an academy right back. Kept our first clean sheet of the season and MOST IMPORTANTLY, kept the shape that our DM is expected to hold in a Jurgen Klopp system. Thinking of experimenting with a flat 3 midfield instead of a DM to achieve similar positioning but better passing angles. Note: Two CM's played much higher due to being Harvey Elliott and Naby Keita. Trying to train them to be more industrious though, like I'm doing with Oxlade-Chamberlain with good success. Also, managing to get the BPD to play long aerial balls over the opposition defence as Virgil does in real life. Also getting the RCB to dribble the pitch at times like Joel Matip is known for doing. Got a nice third assist doing it in pre-season.

1867218310_Screenshot2022-01-17at01_23_00.thumb.png.2ed6d9cbb1dc28689ce98c4e1028aa8a.png

12 minutes ago, Kloppy said:

Just in response. Tried the Anchor instead of the BWM (kept the same PI's). Champions League game against Brugge, using a B team including an academy right back. Kept our first clean sheet of the season and MOST IMPORTANTLY, kept the shape that our DM is expected to hold in a Jurgen Klopp system. Thinking of experimenting with a flat 3 midfield instead of a DM to achieve similar positioning but better passing angles. Note: Two CM's played much higher due to being Harvey Elliott and Naby Keita. Trying to train them to be more industrious though, like I'm doing with Oxlade-Chamberlain with good success. Also, managing to get the BPD to play long aerial balls over the opposition defence as Virgil does in real life. Also getting the RCB to dribble the pitch at times like Joel Matip is known for doing. Got a nice third assist doing it in pre-season.

1867218310_Screenshot2022-01-17at01_23_00.thumb.png.2ed6d9cbb1dc28689ce98c4e1028aa8a.png

What roles you playing harvey and keita vs brugge ? keep up the good work

28 minutes ago, halfspace3000 said:

What roles you playing harvey and keita vs brugge ? keep up the good work

Thanks appreciated! Tested the Mezzella for Harvey whilst not changing PI's. Kept Keita on CM(S). More runs into the box were the only thing I could notice greatly in the highlights. From the analysis he pushed up higher on average, so did Naby but I wonder did his runs with the ball often etc and player style make him push forward more than a Henderson or Thiago would. 

U23s are doing shocking this season. To be fair, I only play u23s, other sides play the likes of Mason Greenwood, Lingard, Werner and Foden against my boys. But shows the tactic is no 'plug-in play' and definitely relies on being a very good team. U18s doing well though.

671106807_Screenshot2022-01-17at02_50_37.thumb.png.11c9644c7e2887d293131244d83e64ba.png

My U-23 in my long term save (which I am continuing and experimenting) basically doing the same regardless of the success of the first team. I was worried about it, but then decided to don’t bother. P&P tactics are great but after years of playing I am bored with them.

I am pretty obsessed about 433DM, so perhaps I would try to experiment with HB or even DM(D) if Anchorman is not satysfying you :) for sure interesting research and experiment!

Edited by Lewis Stewart

5 hours ago, Mutumba said:

Hope your exam went well!

Are there any prefered PPMs, or PPMs that is a big no no?

Cheers pal. Think it did anyways 😂. Now to be honest I’ve never been too knowledgeable about PPMs or anything but I have given them a look for this tactic for the first time. So when I start I get as many people as possible practicing their weak foot. About 50% of the time it works but I just do it anyways. Only alterations I had to make for players PPMs were for Oxlade, he has the one gets forward and I’m making him unlearn that so he can play the Carrillo role better. Can’t remember most of the top of my head as I’m away, but it’s just taking away PPMs that don’t look good on a player profile by using your own judgment. Like I hate ‘dives into tackles’ so that gets unlearnt, or ‘shoots from distance’. In this Liverpool save no midfield takes shots from distance and no midfield should be scoring as Jurgens Liverpool don’t score from midfield. So I aim to replicate this by restricting my CMs more. I have no preferenced PPMs yet due to my lack of experience by I suppose something that compliments the player, I’m using drops deep to get ball for my F9, especially trying to get Minamino and Jota to learn.

1 hour ago, Kloppy said:

Cheers pal. Think it did anyways 😂. Now to be honest I’ve never been too knowledgeable about PPMs or anything but I have given them a look for this tactic for the first time. So when I start I get as many people as possible practicing their weak foot. About 50% of the time it works but I just do it anyways. Only alterations I had to make for players PPMs were for Oxlade, he has the one gets forward and I’m making him unlearn that so he can play the Carrillo role better. Can’t remember most of the top of my head as I’m away, but it’s just taking away PPMs that don’t look good on a player profile by using your own judgment. Like I hate ‘dives into tackles’ so that gets unlearnt, or ‘shoots from distance’. In this Liverpool save no midfield takes shots from distance and no midfield should be scoring as Jurgens Liverpool don’t score from midfield. So I aim to replicate this by restricting my CMs more. I have no preferenced PPMs yet due to my lack of experience by I suppose something that compliments the player, I’m using drops deep to get ball for my F9, especially trying to get Minamino and Jota to learn.

any updates on the save?

1 hour ago, halfspace3000 said:

any updates on the save?

None of real note. At January. Top of the league. Changes the BWM to an Anchor. Liking the similarity with positioning and passing angles but keeping a tighter defence. Winning the league by 8 points. Losing one game so far with one draw. No signings going to be made. Going to test soon with a non league side also.

Edited by Kloppy

@Kloppy Enjoying this mate!

Do you still get any overlapping runs from the Carrilero? The RCM, whether it has been Henderson or even Elliott at the start of the season, has been making quite a few overlapping runs this season as Salah moves more central and Trent occupies more inverted positions. 

I'm currently working on replicating our style from this season myself but have gone with Mezzala (A) so far. This has had a knock on effect of making me go more conservative with Trent's role and duty as I don't want my whole right side to have attacking mentalities. I've currently got him as a basic Full Back (S) with PIs of Take More Risks, Cross From Deep, Dribble Less and Sit Narrower. 

His numbers so far are OK. Completing 71 passes per 90 at 88% completion, 4.29 key passes per 90, 0.81 chances created per 90, 10 clear cut chances created and 0.40 assists per 90. Would be interested to see what I could get him doing as a Complete Wing Back though. 

4 hours ago, ElJefe4 said:

@Kloppy Enjoying this mate!

Do you still get any overlapping runs from the Carrilero? The RCM, whether it has been Henderson or even Elliott at the start of the season, has been making quite a few overlapping runs this season as Salah moves more central and Trent occupies more inverted positions. 

I'm currently working on replicating our style from this season myself but have gone with Mezzala (A) so far. This has had a knock on effect of making me go more conservative with Trent's role and duty as I don't want my whole right side to have attacking mentalities. I've currently got him as a basic Full Back (S) with PIs of Take More Risks, Cross From Deep, Dribble Less and Sit Narrower. 

His numbers so far are OK. Completing 71 passes per 90 at 88% completion, 4.29 key passes per 90, 0.81 chances created per 90, 10 clear cut chances created and 0.40 assists per 90. Would be interested to see what I could get him doing as a Complete Wing Back though. 

No I can’t get the Henderson overlaps really going. Have a few highlights where it can happen but not regular enough. I was thinking of a mezzala but just feel it’s too attacking for Henderson etc. I suppose if he’s told to go wider and shoot less often and play safer, his goal threat can be stopped and his play making enhanced more. I’m going to try IWB(S). Similar to how Trent is this season I’m hoping maybe if the IWB is sitting in Henderson’s spot, the Carriello (Henderson) will be pushed wider out. I’m having good joy with Mo on stay wider, looking at heat maps of Salah in real life, it’s crazy how wide he plays for such a goal threat. I think with IF(A) and stay wider, he plays in a realistic way, whilst scoring crazy amounts and assisting plenty which is realistic of a talent like Mo. 

1 hour ago, Sarriball14 said:

Do you use any particular training schedules for this style of play or do you leave it to the Ass man?

I’ve gotten quite into training actually. Have moved on since my ass man controlled mine. I usually do all training for all teams in the club. Individual and team. Now to be completely honest. I use downloaded schedules. Either from Hood gaming, if I'm lazy and just want a pre-season, one match a week, two matches a week and a rest/internationals week schedule. I also use passion4Fm’s training schedule mega pack which is very detailed. I’ll use his youth section for u23s and u18s and his gegenpress section for Liverpool firsts.

Then for individual training, I am training every player for the position they will be in. All keepers are to train as SK(S) etc. I don’t mess too much with focuses mainly out of laziness. I suppose if you want, just pick a weakness in their game and train that. Etc Pace for Nat Phillips, or strength for Minamino. I always train weak foot I’ll attach a picture after this but for some players that don’t have a good weak foot, you can train weak foot etc Gomez, Salah etc. I just do this as it’s not a negative and seems to be a realistic thing to do. No idea if it works too much but might as well.

168131069_Screenshot2022-01-18at23_03_00.thumb.png.4cfe0065b0080861312864f3178715ac.png

Edited by Kloppy

1 hour ago, Kloppy said:

No I can’t get the Henderson overlaps really going. Have a few highlights where it can happen but not regular enough. I was thinking of a mezzala but just feel it’s too attacking for Henderson etc. I suppose if he’s told to go wider and shoot less often and play safer, his goal threat can be stopped and his play making enhanced more. I’m going to try IWB(S). Similar to how Trent is this season I’m hoping maybe if the IWB is sitting in Henderson’s spot, the Carriello (Henderson) will be pushed wider out. I’m having good joy with Mo on stay wider, looking at heat maps of Salah in real life, it’s crazy how wide he plays for such a goal threat. I think with IF(A) and stay wider, he plays in a realistic way, whilst scoring crazy amounts and assisting plenty which is realistic of a talent like Mo. 

Yeah there's trade offs with each role unfortunately. The IWB role would definitely get Trent coming into the half spaces more but as you have already mentioned, the lack of crossing with that role isn't ideal.

I've found Salah on IF (A) with Stay Wider to be the most accurate but even he doesn't play exactly the same, although this is more because the Match Engine forces Inside Forwards down the line too much.

TAA has actually just had a MOTM performance for me against a high-flying Leeds side and I really liked the variety in these 2 assists. One from a more advanced position, one from deeper. First one reminds me of his assist for Jota away at Arsenal last season. Second one reminds me of an assist for Salah against Fulham at Anfield in 2018.

TAAtoJota.gif.ad22ff86903f64079ab028954a86329a.gif

TAAtoHarvey.gif.4d060e2fae5c3312af4f757e0f26201a.gif

Regarding Henderson (or Ox who has played a fair bit for me when Henderson has been covering the other 2 midfield positions), I think dropping his Duty down from Attacking to Support could be the way to go. I like your idea of using that role with the Shoot Less Often and Take Fewer Risks PIs. Will give it a go tomorrow.

After I get to a point where I'm really happy with the right hand side, my next focus will be Mane. Struggling to get him really involved in attacking situations at the moment.

Edited by ElJefe4

25 minutes ago, ElJefe4 said:

Yeah there's trade offs with each role unfortunately. The IWB role would definitely get Trent coming into the half spaces more but as you have already mentioned, the lack of crossing with that role isn't ideal.

I've found Salah on IF (A) with Stay Wider to be the most accurate but even he doesn't play exactly the same, although this is more because the Match Engine forces Inside Forwards down the line too much.

TAA has actually just had a MOTM performance for me against a high-flying Leeds side and I really liked the variety in these 2 assists. One from a more advanced position, one from deeper. First one reminds me of his assist for Jota away at Arsenal last season. Second one reminds me of an assist for Salah against Fulham at Anfield in 2018.

TAAtoJota.gif.ad22ff86903f64079ab028954a86329a.gif

TAAtoHarvey.gif.4d060e2fae5c3312af4f757e0f26201a.gif

Regarding Henderson (or Ox who has played a fair bit for me when Henderson has been covering the other 2 midfield positions), I think dropping his Duty down from Attacking to Support could be the way to go. I like your idea of using that role with the Shoot Less Often and Take Fewer Risks PIs. Will give it a go tomorrow.

After I get to a point where I'm really happy with the right-hand side, my next focus will be Mane. Struggling to get him really involved in attacking situations at the moment.

Wow, great post. Love the clips, need to learn how to do those. Is that my tactic in the clips or one of yours?  Yeah, I think the Salah role with the IF(A) stay wider is nearly perfect. Plays like you'd need and expect, Mane emmmm not so much. I've done a few tests over a few saves and he is either world-class or an average PL player, then again quite realistic knowing how he's been doing lately in real life. Like the fact in the tactic, his goals are very 'poacher' related, like headers or in the box finishing, compared to Salah's runs etc. Like real life which is my goal. 

I love Trent's assists in the clips. The second one is proper catching the defenders out with Trent's excellence and a Mo like run from Harvey. What role is the RCM? You changing the mezzala (A) to mezzala (S)?

Keep me informed. This is good talk. 

5 minutes ago, Kloppy said:

Wow, great post. Love the clips, need to learn how to do those. Is that my tactic in the clips or one of yours?  Yeah, I think the Salah role with the IF(A) stay wider is nearly perfect. Plays like you'd need and expect, Mane emmmm not so much. I've done a few tests over a few saves and he is either world-class or an average PL player, then again quite realistic knowing how he's been doing lately in real life. Like the fact in the tactic, his goals are very 'poacher' related, like headers or in the box finishing, compared to Salah's runs etc. Like real life which is my goal. 

I love Trent's assists in the clips. The second one is proper catching the defenders out with Trent's excellence and a Mo like run from Harvey. What role is the RCM? You changing the mezzala (A) to mezzala (S)?

Keep me informed. This is good talk. 

Have a look here for the tool to make the gifs.

And this is from the tactic I've been working on myself over the last couple of weeks.

image.png.041279fbad7b0cdf005b736adfff1cca.png

PIs are as follows:

Alisson - None
Trent - Take More Risks, Cross From Deep, Dribble Less, Cut Inside With Ball, Sit Narrower
Matip - None
VVD - None
Robbo - Stay Wider
Fabinho - None
Thiago - Hold Position
Henderson - None
Salah - Stay Wider
Firmino - Roam From Position
Mane - Sit Narrower, Roam From Position

So yeah the RCM on the above clips is Mezzala (A) but I'm considering changing to Mezzala (S).

Based on what you've chosen I'm also considering taking off 'Work Ball Into Box' to encourage a few more crosses from the full backs.

2 minutes ago, ElJefe4 said:

Have a look here for the tool to make the gifs.

And this is from the tactic I've been working on myself over the last couple of weeks.

image.png.041279fbad7b0cdf005b736adfff1cca.png

PIs are as follows:

Alisson - None
Trent - Take More Risks, Cross From Deep, Dribble Less, Cut Inside With Ball, Sit Narrower
Matip - None
VVD - None
Robbo - Stay Wider
Fabinho - None
Thiago - Hold Position
Henderson - None
Salah - Stay Wider
Firmino - Roam From Position
Mane - Sit Narrower, Roam From Position

So yeah the RCM on the above clips is Mezzala (A) but I'm considering changing to Mezzala (S).

Based on what you've chosen I'm also considering taking off 'Work Ball Into Box' to encourage a few more crosses from the full backs.

Thanks for that. Will start to use that for future posts, will make my threads better. Oh nice, I like the tactic. I think you should go with the support instead of attack for the mezzala. What are your stats like for player performance, it’s a great indicator for realism. I’m using it to see how attacking my midfield are being and Bobby also in the False 9. Too unrealistic imo if they scoring too much. Assists aswell I’m aiming to have as close to real life as possible. Yeah try take ‘work hall into box’ off and see does that change much. I’m enjoying looking at Trent’s key passes with my tactic. Think he’s up at about 5 per game. 10 assists achieved by January which is like this season in real life.

1 hour ago, pats said:

Does Salah play like he does IRL? I mean, does he cut inside with ball at every opportunity or does he run to the byline every time due to IF/IW bug?

I get a mix. His assists seem to be crosses due to going down the line. But he’s hitting from 25-30 goals a season for me and the majority are from prime ‘Salah’ positions from cutting in. I’ll attach some clips when I’m home from work.

I have a bit succes with this.. When looking at Jota, I don't think F9 is a good role for LFC if looking at real life performance. The AM actually seems to drop more deep when defending than in previous FM's

My big struggle is Alexander Arnolds Role... To much rely on the crosses this year.

Skærmbillede 2022-01-19 kl. 17.29.59.png

16 hours ago, Kloppy said:

Thanks for that. Will start to use that for future posts, will make my threads better. Oh nice, I like the tactic. I think you should go with the support instead of attack for the mezzala. What are your stats like for player performance, it’s a great indicator for realism. I’m using it to see how attacking my midfield are being and Bobby also in the False 9. Too unrealistic imo if they scoring too much. Assists aswell I’m aiming to have as close to real life as possible. Yeah try take ‘work hall into box’ off and see does that change much. I’m enjoying looking at Trent’s key passes with my tactic. Think he’s up at about 5 per game. 10 assists achieved by January which is like this season in real life.

No worries :thup:

And the player stats feel a bit skewed at the moment to be honest, mainly because lots of players are having their minutes spread out over a couple of positions. 

For example, Henderson is my starting RCM but he's also my 2nd choice DM. He's actually played the same number of games (9) in each position, so his stats don't accurately reflect how well he performs in the right sided role. 

I need to refresh the squad a bit next year with more specialised back ups. Particularly at right back, defensive midfield and striker. Having a designated back up for each role will allow me to get a better idea of exactly how each role performs. 

I'd like the squad to look something a bit more like this next season:

image.png.af3993e733e3405c77d43ac5ef5a1a97.png

Jones and Elliott are 2 talented youngsters that I'm in 2 minds about at the moment. Jones looks more suited to the advanced midfield role given his traits - Gets Into Opposition Area, Moves Into Channels, Runs With Ball Often. However, I'm not convinced by Elliott as a long term Salah replacement given his lack of pace and average finishing. He also has very un-Salah like traits such as Likes Ball Played Into Feet and Comes Deep To Get Ball, so may be better suited to a midfield role himself.

Edited by ElJefe4

I will not be posting very often here (but I will read!) cause I decided to go different direction and create tactic that will focus on winning possession back, fast transition and even faster, direct attack. So this perhaps is not exact Klopp style however might be interesting to check. Also the shape is much different from Klopp or this topic.

That said however, I set up standard Gegenpress 433 DM and will take best from this topic too to set up particular player instructions. So far I applied just few (for WBs and IFs). What is interesting is actual style of play in possesion, where standard passes are used. So during the games, it's very fast, agile and sometimes that one long pass will be added. As my GIFs was too big, I am showing some goals & play example. As you can see, some goals are scored really fast after the possession is won. Other goals showing that extreme tempo and direct style of play can create nice scoring chances. It's not that team is hoofing around, I have some examples (I am lazy) where it was mix os short passes in the box (maybe I will record it).

Goal 1    Goal 2    Goal 3

FM - 1.jpeg

FM - 2.jpeg

FM - 1 (1).jpeg

FM - 2 (1).jpeg

FM - 3.jpeg

FM - 4.jpeg

Edited by Lewis Stewart

23 minutes ago, Lewis Stewart said:

I will not be posting very often here (but I will read!) cause I decided to go different direction and create tactic that will focus on winning possession back, fast transition and even faster, direct attack. So this perhaps is not exact Klopp style however might be interesting to check. Also the shape is much different from Klopp or this topic.

That said however, I set up standard Gegenpress 433 DM and will take best from this topic too to set up particular player instructions. So far I applied just few (for WBs and IFs). What is interesting is actual style of play in possesion, where standard passes are used. So during the games, it's very fast, agile and sometimes that one long pass will be added. As my GIFs was too big, I am showing some goals & play example. As you can see, some goals are scored really fast after the possession is won. Other goals showing that extreme tempo and direct style of play can create nice scoring chances. It's not that team is hoofing around, I have some examples (I am lazy) where it was mix os short passes in the box (maybe I will record it).

Goal 1    Goal 2    Goal 3

FM - 1.jpeg

FM - 2.jpeg

FM - 1 (1).jpeg

FM - 2 (1).jpeg

FM - 3.jpeg

FM - 4.jpeg

What are the Player instructions that you used?

Few - mainly from these already mentioned in topic:

WB(S) Left: Stay wider

WB(S) Right: more risk, dribble less, sit narrower, cross from deep

IF(A) Left: roam, sit narrower

IF(A) Right: stay wider

PF(A): Roam

However, I am using Rashidi's pressing traps opposition instructions from his Klopp translation to FM: 

2 hours ago, ElJefe4 said:

No worries :thup:

And the player stats feel a bit skewed at the moment to be honest, mainly because lots of players are having their minutes spread out over a couple of positions. 

For example, Henderson is my starting RCM but he's also my 2nd choice DM. He's actually played the same number of games (9) in each position, so his stats don't accurately reflect how well he performs in the right sided role. 

I need to refresh the squad a bit next year with more specialised back ups. Particularly at right back, defensive midfield and striker. Having a designated back up for each role will allow me to get a better idea of exactly how each role performs. 

I'd like the squad to look something a bit more like this next season:

image.png.af3993e733e3405c77d43ac5ef5a1a97.png

Jones and Elliott are 2 talented youngsters that I'm in 2 minds about at the moment. Jones looks more suited to the advanced midfield role given his traits - Gets Into Opposition Area, Moves Into Channels, Runs With Ball Often. However, I'm not convinced by Elliott as a long term Salah replacement given his lack of pace and average finishing. He also has very un-Salah like traits such as Likes Ball Played Into Feet and Comes Deep To Get Ball, so may be better suited to a midfield role himself.

Agreed, Liverpool needs a refresh, getting old the side is and still lack quality cover. RB needs a better backup (I keep Neco though as he is okay enough). DM and an attacker are needed IMO. 

Yeah, I'm copying Jurgen's plan for Harvey at the minute. Just doesn't play like a Mo style player for what is expected of him on the RW. Just going to drop him into the middle 3 and train up his fitness and defensive stats. Always have struggled to get Harvey going though in Liverpool saves, doesn't do much for me. Then again he is so young. Doku is a fun replacement but expensive if he's on form in your save.

47 minutes ago, Lewis Stewart said:

Few - mainly from these already mentioned in topic:

WB(S) Left: Stay wider

WB(S) Right: more risk, dribble less, sit narrower, cross from deep

IF(A) Left: roam, sit narrower

IF(A) Right: stay wider

PF(A): Roam

However, I am using Rashidi's pressing traps opposition instructions from his Klopp translation to FM: 

Cracking video for opposition instructions is what I use in most tactics (and in my Klopp replication) due to the good traps.

3 hours ago, Ramsdal03 said:

I have a bit succes with this.. When looking at Jota, I don't think F9 is a good role for LFC if looking at real life performance. The AM actually seems to drop more deep when defending than in previous FM's

My big struggle is Alexander Arnolds Role... To much rely on the crosses this year.

Skærmbillede 2022-01-19 kl. 17.29.59.png

Yeah, the F9 is beside the DM in my tactic when I look at it on the passing map. Seems very low for him, even if he does move deep at times. Although quite realistic if you look at Bobby beside Fabinho against Chelsea this season. 

1361802978_passmap-600x400(1).png.0d28cc9b04592ee89904ce3437f30e99.png

Could try to untrain comes 'deep to get ball' to find a balance though. Trent's role is not in the game I feel, it's like an IWB but who crosses way more. A mix between IWB and CWB if that's even a thing.

39 minutes ago, Kloppy said:

Yeah, the F9 is beside the DM in my tactic when I look at it on the passing map. Seems very low for him, even if he does move deep at times. Although quite realistic if you look at Bobby beside Fabinho against Chelsea this season. 

1361802978_passmap-600x400(1).png.0d28cc9b04592ee89904ce3437f30e99.png

Could try to untrain comes 'deep to get ball' to find a balance though. Trent's role is not in the game I feel, it's like an IWB but who crosses way more. A mix between IWB and CWB if that's even a thing.

Looking at this link which I think is more accurate with Jota 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/12/how-liverpool-have-changed-shape-and-thiago-is-key-to-it/

4 minutes ago, Kloppy said:

Oh yeah I don’t play Diogo as a false 9, I’m using DLF(S) for him.

How do you find the PI 'Hold up Ball' works with someone like Jota?

Ive personally always stayed away from the DLF roles as they're hardcoded to hold up the ball.

38 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

How do you find the PI 'Hold up Ball' works with someone like Jota?

Ive personally always stayed away from the DLF roles as they're hardcoded to hold up the ball.

I didn't really notice it in all honesty. I was happy with the added goals and different movements provided which is like Jota in comparison to Bobby in real life. I'm a fan of PF(S) also for him. I should properly stay away from it now you say it as holding up the ball is not what Jota does in real life under Jurgen. 

Pretty happy with this early goal against Norwich. Feels like a typical Liverpool under Klopp goal. Displays a few things I'm looking for with the tactic.

- Set up well to press high as Norwich try to play out from the back.
- Salah presses at an angle to make the pass out to the left back a very risky one.
- Firmino and Henderson take up good positions, making passes into the DM and LCM risky as well.
- Gomez defends the long ball well on the front foot.
- Keita gets nice and close to Fabinho, creating a box of 4 between the 2 CBs and the DM/LCM. Note how much higher Henderson is than the other 2 CMs when we regain the ball.
- Good overlapping run by Robertson.
- Classic Firmino + Mane link up as Firmino shows for the ball into feet, drags the centre back with him and Mane exploits the vacated space.

ManeNorwich.gif.b80dab2fca484a13d62aeca85151aa91.gif

Edited by ElJefe4

40 minutes ago, ElJefe4 said:

Pretty happy with this early goal against Norwich. Feels like a typical Liverpool under Klopp goal. Displays a few things I'm looking for with the tactic.

- Set up well to press high as Norwich try to play out from the back.
- Salah presses at an angle to make the pass out to the left back a very risky one.
- Firmino and Henderson take up good positions, making passes into the DM and LCM risky as well.
- Gomez defends the long ball well on the front foot.
- Keita gets nice and close to Fabinho, creating a box of 4 between the 2 CBs and the DM/LCM. Note how much higher Henderson is than the other 2 CMs when we regain the ball.
- Good overlapping run by Robertson.
- Classic Firmino + Mane link up as Firmino shows for the ball into feet, drags the centre back with him and Mane exploits the vacated space.

ManeNorwich.gif.b80dab2fca484a13d62aeca85151aa91.gif

Yeah nice goal. Opposition instructions are very underrated. Gives you great angles to shut teams out from and gives you the ball back with ease. I like Henderson’s high position. I’ve noticed Liverpool playing with almost two DMs in Fabinho and say Keita in your case, then with Hendo out high and wide to the right with Trent. What are the stats like for Hendo? Many goals and assists and what are his crossing stats? Think he hits a good few (many poor tbh) crosses, wonder can they be replicated or do they come with the mezzala package already? 

7 minutes ago, Kloppy said:

Yeah nice goal. Opposition instructions are very underrated. Gives you great angles to shut teams out from and gives you the ball back with ease. I like Henderson’s high position. I’ve noticed Liverpool playing with almost two DMs in Fabinho and say Keita in your case, then with Hendo out high and wide to the right with Trent. What are the stats like for Hendo? Many goals and assists and what are his crossing stats? Think he hits a good few (many poor tbh) crosses, wonder can they be replicated or do they come with the mezzala package already? 

He has 2 goals and 3 assists in 10 games at RCM. Ox has also played there quite a bit and has 3 goals and 2 assists, his stats say he has played CM 14 times but I think that might include sub appearances. Also, because they've both played plenty of minutes in other positions (Henderson at DM and Ox out wide), the more detailed stats such as key passes, chances created, crosses attempted etc are probably misleading.

Henderson did get a nice assist in the Norwich game as Mezzala (Support), though.

ManeNorwich2.gif.38c136ade5bdc3737c6d9f585803aef4.gif

On 16/01/2022 at 20:50, Kloppy said:

My first 'real' post to this forum. Instead of studying for an exam tomorrow, I'm here studying Jurgen Klopp and his Liverpool side on FM22, trying my best to replicate real life. Whilst, not 100% obviously, I feel my replication is accurate enough and gets you the stats and style of play Jurgen attempts to get his side playing, and how they play anyways. I say 'style of play Jurgen attempts to get his side playing' as I go beyond how Jurgens side performs lately, this system seems to be Liverpool at their peak whilst maintaining realism and style of play incorporated. 

Where do I start? Well here is a screenshot of the base tactic and a download link.Klopp .fmf

219778624_Screenshot2022-01-16at20_24_41.thumb.png.d5fb7d9ecdb71322f7c21108b6a69240.png

Play instructions are a key part of my setup. Not going to post them as separate images as a tad busy for the moment due to a reason said in the first paragraph so unfortunately cannot spend hours writing this up. Have set pieces going but nothing really to do with Jurgen Klopp's side, then again my corners are just aimed for Virgil. I do only bring one centre back up though to replicate real life, due to fullbacks taking corners. 

Had one issue in deciding player roles, which is for Trent. As I studied footage etc and learned the football manager roles for right-backs, I was set on IWB (S) for Trent, as It gave him for angles for his crosses, as he has evolved this season to not be overlapping but to be in Henderson's position delivering great crosses. The issue.....with the inverted wing-back role, the element of crossing less often was not realistic for Trent and after a good bit of thought, I decided to use the CWB (S) with a few PI's. It worked out, his positioning is fantastic and realistic as I will show. Averaging 6 key passes a game. 

776635797_Screenshot2022-01-16at20_38_26.thumb.png.d5fe29a74de5569205a9083985d7faf8.png

passmap-600x400.png.8a208093f56e84dceb67bef398a0ac37.png

Look at the right of the real pass map of Elliott, Trent and Salah. Whilst Hendo is a different player to Harvey, he is actually playing a similar aggressive role nearly at left-winger himself. It leaves Trent exposed in real life but due to Fabinho being a BWM in-game, Trent and the RCM are usually fine. All have added PI's which can be seen by downloading the tactic (I will post PI's if there is interest). It adds a cracking triangle of movement and link-up play which no team in the game can stop with a single LB. Bobby as an F9 in the game can be changed to a DLF(S) if playing Jota instead to replicate his more poacher style whilst keeping realism. 

Used the system in my last save winning the League and CL but in my new save it is only in pre-season but shaping up to be as good. Note the only goals conceded were free-kicks :/

1464242551_Screenshot2022-01-16at20_46_38.thumb.png.06045bb8767cdf0ee48adcb199d72420.png

Hope you guys enjoy it. It's my first time posting really. Plenty I can improve on and back my points better on. I will update if this gets a few upvotes or replies so I can defend my ideas. 

Quality thread! Looking to implement a few ideas into my own tactics. I've got a 'heavy metal' set up which will be my standard tactic and I have a more controlled set up which I will use to see out games, conserve stamina and also use against the bigger teams.

Sorry to derail slightly but what skin do you use?

1 hour ago, FMSacchi said:

Quality thread! Looking to implement a few ideas into my own tactics. I've got a 'heavy metal' set up which will be my standard tactic and I have a more controlled set up which I will use to see out games, conserve stamina and also use against the bigger teams.

Sorry to derail slightly but what skin do you use?

Thanks, mate appreciate it! Some quality posters are in here making it a good discussion. Can I see your tactics please, like seeing different setups. 

Heres is the skin https://fminside.net/downloads/skins/316-tangfu-skin_1 

Am I allowed to send links to different sites? 

14 hours ago, Kloppy said:

Thanks, mate appreciate it! Some quality posters are in here making it a good discussion. Can I see your tactics please, like seeing different setups. 

Heres is the skin https://fminside.net/downloads/skins/316-tangfu-skin_1 

Am I allowed to send links to different sites? 

Always good to see a decent discussion with constructive criticism instead of any negative comments. I'm away from my laptop currently but when I'm back I'll post pictures. Thanks for the link also!

On 17/01/2022 at 01:05, Kloppy said:

Interesting thread... I may comment further, although I'll probably experiment with your set-up before hand.

Anyway, on this point, I often find that if you have aggressive full backs it generally makes sense to have a D role for your DM... however, in relation to this current LFC iteration, I can't help noticing that the midfield 3 are often a flat line when setting up to defend.  It may not work, but have you tried pushing Fab up to CM and playing simply as a CM-D?

9 hours ago, alinp said:

Interesting thread... I may comment further, although I'll probably experiment with your set-up before hand.

Anyway, on this point, I often find that if you have aggressive full backs it generally makes sense to have a D role for your DM... however, in relation to this current LFC iteration, I can't help noticing that the midfield 3 are often a flat line when setting up to defend.  It may not work, but have you tried pushing Fab up to CM and playing simply as a CM-D?

Hi, mate do comment further when ready. Yeah, I was thinking of trying the flat midfield three as looking at screenshots of the midfield during games looked quite flat to me. I think it's very personnel orientated our shape in the middle 3. Against Chelsea, with Fab, Hendo and Millie it was a flat 3 but with Fab, Curtis and Naby it is more defined with the roles not looking like a flat 3 IMO. Also, looking through passing maps from my games, I'm noticing my positioning of the middle 3 (bar Hendo) is quite flat anyways, even if the tactics are not to show. Feel free to test and see what happens for you. I'm going to test the flat 3 now. BUT I'm not changing any roles if possible, obviously, the Fabinho role if Anchorman cannot be used...any suggestions? The Hendo role is looking good due to earlier discussion on the thread so ill leave that role safe.

Nice passing map against Burnley using @ElJefe4 tactic. Good positions. Good movement. A peeve is I would like the right centre back to be on average higher up to replicate the VVD long ball starting position and the Matip close to midfield for his runs. Will change VVD to a BPD as I achieved the CB shape quite well in the original post. Will continue to use and move on to other posters tactics off the thread. 

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 03.46.06.png