Replicating Arteta's 442 at Arsenal

Hi all, I've been a huge fan of the structure of football that Arteta has put in place in Arsenal. In a nutshell, it's a 442 that transitions into a 325. I'm looking to see if anyone has tried to replicate it. Here's how I set it up with the current Arsenal squad.

SK (s) - Ramsdale
DR (d) - Tomiyasu [Sit Narrower, Mark Tighter]
BPD (d) - White
BPD (d) - Gabriel
WBL (a) - Tierney [Stay Wider, Mark Tighter] *Stay wider to centralize the 3-1 during build-up.
IWR (a) - Saka [Mark Tigher, Roam From Position]
MCR (d) - Partey
DLP (s) - Xhaka [Stay Wider] * To move into half-space left vacated by Tierney
IWL (s) - Smith-Rowe [Mark Tigher, Roam From Position]
AMCR (s) - Odegaard [Moves Into Channels, Roam From Position, Take Risks]
F9 (s) - Lacazette

The idea above is to focus link up play on the left before releasing to the isolated Saka for 1v1's. So far, I'm not too sure if FM's match engine has the ability to translate the above. The team instructions are fairly standard with Control Mentality, Short Passing, Narrow Width, Focus Down Left Flank, Low Crosses, Much Higher Defensive Line with Higher LOE. Counter Pressing and Counter as well.

I've also set opposition instructions in a way to force the opposition to go central. Show inside foot for their full backs while showing Wingers on the outside.

Thanks!

Edited by markoconnell

2 hours ago, markoconnell said:

Hi all, I've been a huge fan of the structure of football that Arteta has put in place in Arsenal. In a nutshell, it's a 442 that transitions into a 325. I'm looking to see if anyone has tried to replicate it. Here's how I set it up with the current Arsenal squad.

SK (s) - Ramsdale
DR (d) - Tomiyasu [Sit Narrower, Mark Tighter]
BPD (d) - White
BPD (d) - Gabriel
WBL (a) - Tierney [Stay Wider, Mark Tighter] *Stay wider to centralize the 3-1 during build-up.
IWR (a) - Saka [Mark Tigher, Roam From Position]
MCR (d) - Partey
DLP (s) - Xhaka [Stay Wider] * To move into half-space left vacated by Tierney
IWL (s) - Smith-Rowe [Mark Tigher, Roam From Position]
AMCR (s) - Odegaard [Moves Into Channels, Roam From Position, Take Risks]
F9 (s) - Lacazette

The idea above is to focus link up play on the left before releasing to the isolated Saka for 1v1's. So far, I'm not too sure if FM's match engine has the ability to translate the above. The team instructions are fairly standard with Control Mentality, Short Passing, Narrow Width, Focus Down Left Flank, Low Crosses, Much Higher Defensive Line with Higher LOE. Counter Pressing and Counter as well.

I've also set opposition instructions in a way to force the opposition to go central. Show inside foot for their full backs while showing Wingers on the outside.

Thanks!

how you doing in the league?

This is my replication.on fm22. wingers are set like that to maintain width. Forms a bit more of a 316 than 325 as xhaka has been slightly more aggressive recently. CM has move into channels and amcr has the same instructions as you 

image.png.6d6938e6ec97fcf22d1a0d5ff5bdd440.png

1 hour ago, _mxrky said:

This is my replication.on fm22. wingers are set like that to maintain width. Forms a bit more of a 316 than 325 as xhaka has been slightly more aggressive recently. CM has move into channels and amcr has the same instructions as you 

image.png.6d6938e6ec97fcf22d1a0d5ff5bdd440.png

Do you find that the wingers in MR hold width much longer than AMR?

Just now, Jack722 said:

Do you find that the wingers in MR hold width much longer than AMR?

yeah i do. I actually got that idea form your pep thread. Because i'm on fm21 i found that i needed to have at least one winger in the am strata to press effectively and I also found the amcr to be better than the mezzala on attack which stayed too wide in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, _mxrky said:

yeah i do. I actually got that idea form your pep thread. Because i'm on fm21 i found that i needed to have at least one winger in the am strata to press effectively and I also found the amcr to be better than the mezzala on attack which stayed too wide in my opinion. 

Ah okay that's interesting to know.

I thought this was the case in FM21 but was unsure if it carried on to 22. Based on touch maps and the eye test, I still think that the midfield wingers stay wider than attack midfield wingers, but I'm interested to hear other's opinions and findings.