Get a 4231 to defend in a 4-3-1-2

You'd have to start in a 4312 since the formation on your screen shows your defensive formation . Translating that to a 4231 in attack is virtually impossible

Agree with @_mxrky- this will be difficult. 

Something like:

F9        CF

AMs

DLPs  CMd  MEZa

As the front 5, could work. And then you'd have to use some PIs/tactical instructions to e.g. get the F9 to play wider, Mez wider etc.

Alternatively you could play with an IF or a Winger on the left, so a lopsided 4321 if that makes sense. If you get your pressing/marking right the IF/Winger might look like a striker out of possession?

As others have said, your formation is your defensive shape in FM. If you're looking for a player to defend in central midfield, you need to play him as a CM, then use roles/duties to get him where you want in attack. A mezzala seems the obvious choice. If you really want it to be a wide player, you could try dropping him to MR and then asking him to sit narrower. Man marking wouldn't be a consistent solution because it would require the opposition to always have a static central midfielder hanging out right where you want your right winger to defend.

This idea reminds me of the system Dunga used while managing Brazil in 2010, sort of a hybrid between a 4231 and a traditional narrow Brazilian box. There was a good FM recreation attempt of that here. The mezzala did not exist in FM at the time but that's pretty clearly what Ramires was.

Hey guys I managed to make it work.  I set my RW as a IWs and told him to man Mark the opposite LCM.  As you can see from the shape below - we have a perfect 4-3-1-2 in defense. 

I made the LW a IFa to be more passive defensivly.  I play a counter attacking 4-2-3-1. 

Screenshot_20220111-001819_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by ta11zx

9 hours ago, ta11zx said:

Hey guys I managed to make it work.  I set my RW as a IWs and told him to man Mark the opposite LCM.  As you can see from the shape below - we have a perfect 4-3-1-2 in defense. 

I made the LW a IFa to be more passive defensivly.  I play a counter attacking 4-2-3-1. 

Screenshot_20220111-001819_WhatsApp.jpg

not really ideal though is it?

Huge gaps between players, your number 10 isnt doing anything either?

I don't believe this is possible in the ME and what you posted is really scrappy and even worse than what people want to call a back three with a FB as third CB. But before that I'd like to know why you even want to do this? 4-3-1-2 is one of the worst formations to defend in in your own half and that is the reason why managers like Marco Rose and Steffen Baumgart who like to attack and press in a diamond or 4-3-1-2 shape like to fall back into 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 or 4-1-4-1 shape in deep defending. Nagelsmann played 5-3-2 against the ball with Leipzig quite a fair bit just to get a 3-1-4-2 in attack and that was not pretty against good teams as well. And a 4-3-1-2 is even worse to defend in than 5-3-2.

Edited by FelixCAN

2 hours ago, FelixCAN said:

I don't believe this is possible in the ME and what you posted is really scrappy and even worse than what people want to call a back three with a FB as third CB. But before that I'd like to know why you even want to do this? 4-3-1-2 is one of the worst formations to defend in in your own half and that is the reason why managers like Marco Rose and Steffen Baumgart who like to attack and press in a diamond or 4-3-1-2 shape like to fall back into 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 or 4-1-4-1 shape in deep defending. Nagelsmann played 5-3-2 against the ball with Leipzig quite a fair bit just to get a 3-1-4-2 in attack and that was not pretty against good teams as well. And a 4-3-1-2 is even worse to defend in than 5-3-2.

Simeone switched to a 352/532 and did pretty well.... Conte's Inter too defended firmly in a 352.

At risk of getting off topic, I think you need one of the srikers to be willing too press wide, and cover the flank potentially, or an opponent DM. Then if the 3 move across in tandem toward the ball near side, and the ball-far WB covers the gap, then you're fine tbh. WBs pushing up to press as well.

Obviously this can be exploited (a positional 433 with wide wingers pushing back your wingbacks could leave plenty of space on the flanks for opponent FBs for example). But I don't think it is uniquely vulnerable in the same way that a 4312 might be (which has even less flank coverage as the full backs can't press as high).