Jump to content

442 narrow diamond IRL 21/22?


Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

Hi!

Could you advise manager(s) who use 4312 narrow or 41212 narrow in season 21/22? Or past few years at least?

Many thanks in advance!

Might be a bit too early, but off the top of my head:

Liverpool 13/14

Inter 09/10 (in Serie A, not CL)

Real Madrid 16/17 (I think, maybe it was one year before or after)

I've seen multiple premier league teams use the diamond more recently, but they were more for one - off games, instead of more consistently

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a soft spot for the narrow diamond 442 as my club has won Champions League for the last time using it.

But top of my head and recently, I would say Red Bull Salzburg with both Marsch (at times) and Jaissle, and Empoli with Dionisi as manager...

If you go back a few years than you got the suggestions from @Jack722, Sarri at Empoli or at the first few games with Napoli, Mourinho at Porto (second year), Ancelotti at Chelsea (at times) and AC Milan, Jorge Jesus at Benfica (first year) and Carlos Bianchi at Boca Juniores.

Hope that helps!

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, davidbarros2 said:

I got a soft spot for the narrow diamond 442 as my club has won Champions League for the last time using it.

But top of my head and recently, I would say Red Bull Salzburg with both Marsch (at times) and Jaissle, and Empoli with Dionisi as manager...

If you go back a few years than you got the suggestions from @Jack722, Sarri at Empoli or at the first few games with Napoli, Mourinho at Porto (second year), Ancelotti at Chelsea (at times) and AC Milan, Jorge Jesus at Benfica (first year) and Carlos Bianchi at Boca Juniores.

Hope that helps!

Splitting hairs perhaps, but Sarri at Empoli was more a 4-3-1-2 than a diamond.

The 4-3-1-2 was in fashion in Serie A in the late 00's and early 10's. The return of the back three is sometimes said to have been a reaction to that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This season, there are at least two teams that play with a narrow 41212 every week: Aurelio Andreazzoli's Empoli and Eduardo Coudet's Celta de Vigo. 
In the last games, Brighton has also been using it, but they are quite chameleonic and often change tactics, even during games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 15/01/2022 at 23:39, Fox-7- said:

In Italy Andreazzoli with Empoli and (sometimes) Zanetti with Venezia in the current season.

A few years ago Giampaolo with Sampdoria

Yes Empoli always use a 442 diamond regardless of who has been the manager in recent seasons. Sarri, Dionisi, Andreazzoli

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Trevomac said:

Yes Empoli always use a 442 diamond regardless of who has been the manager in recent seasons. Sarri, Dionisi, Andreazzoli

You left out Giampaolo.  ;-) 

Andreazzoli used the 4312 in his first stint at Empoli. He's a sharp manager and well regarded in Italy and stuck with it when he returned. Dionisi's team last year was really swashbuckling in their approach, yet were stout defensively. 

He's an article which people might find interesting regarding the current Empoli set-up. 

https://runningtheshowblog.wordpress.com/2021/12/10/tactical-analysis-aurelio-andreazzolis-empoli-tactics/

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 15/01/2022 at 05:25, Gobias Industries said:

If you ever watch MLS, the Philadelphia Union usually line up in a 4-1-2-1-2 counter attacking style. 

The Union switched to more of a 4-3-2-1 late in the season and don't think that they were as good. 

On the other hand the Revs switched to the 4-3-1-2 midway through the season because they did have good enough central midfielders for a traditional 4-4-2. Other teams seemed to figure them out in the late season and playoffs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Oakland Stomper said:

You left out Giampaolo.  ;-) 

Andreazzoli used the 4312 in his first stint at Empoli. He's a sharp manager and well regarded in Italy and stuck with it when he returned. Dionisi's team last year was really swashbuckling in their approach, yet were stout defensively. 

He's an article which people might find interesting regarding the current Empoli set-up. 

https://runningtheshowblog.wordpress.com/2021/12/10/tactical-analysis-aurelio-andreazzolis-empoli-tactics/

Marco Giampaolo's name just wouldn't come to my mind and I knew I was missing someone. Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Trevomac said:

Marco Giampaolo's name just wouldn't come to my mind and I knew I was missing someone. Cheers!

Full disclosure. The only reason that I remembered Giampaolo was from his time at Samp where here also used the 4-3-1-2.

I think Sarri is the manager who introduced the formation at Empoli. Few remember that he used it while at Juve because his personnel were better suited to it than the 4-3-3.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also Allegri in his first season at Juventus used 4-3-1-2 in the second part of the season leading Juve to the UCL final against Barcellona.

Diamond midfield Pirlo-Marchisio-Pogba-Vidal was awesome

Edited by Fox-7-
Link to post
Share on other sites

Marco Giampaolo is very close to being re-appointed at Sampdoria in next few days. He almost exclusively plays 4-3-1-2. Keep an eye on Sampdoria for the remainder of the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.