Host stadium selection?

rusty217

I'm trying to set the North American Champions League to use a pre-determined host stadium like the European version. I've kind of got it set up, it's not quite working right though. For starters the host stadium seems to be decided based on who's in the final, rather than in advance. ie. an all Mexican final guarantees a Mexican stadium will be used. But perhaps the bigger issue is that when there's a non-Mexican team in the final the stadium selection just seems kind of dumb.

A massive cup final between Atlanta United and Cruz Azul? How about we play it at a 2500 seater stadium in the Cayman Islands! Why? I've got the stadium pool section in the competition set to minimum capacity of 40k. Ideally I want any stadium in North America with 40k plus seats to be a possible host for the final, so definitely not tiny stadiums like that.

20220108205808_1.thumb.jpg.bff36340ef1f621304dd491fbdac7983.jpg

Ah.... stadiums :D Such a pain in the backside.

Can you post your file so I can take a look? There are some different variations for international, club continental and national cup finals and there is not always a one size fits all. Added to that, North America has its own flavour.

10 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Ah.... stadiums :D Such a pain in the backside.

Can you post your file so I can take a look? There are some different variations for international, club continental and national cup finals and there is not always a one size fits all. Added to that, North America has its own flavour.

CONCACAF Clubs.fmf

Here you go.

I have set it up slightly different

image.thumb.png.dbc461d1f396933482b32c9b573a00d2.png

Host nation instead of Stadium Pool. It does mean that you only get the top stadium, but you might use your Stadiums for fixture setup with setting Stadium 1, 2 or 3 for specific years. It is something I am considering for my edit.

2 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Host nation instead of Stadium Pool. It does mean that you only get the top stadium, but you might use your Stadiums for fixture setup with setting Stadium 1, 2 or 3 for specific years. It is something I am considering for my edit.

Ah, I've done it like that for other tournaments. You can actually make it a random stadium from that country still. In the stadium pool section set the nation to "Host Nation", tell it to refresh the list every year and to randomise stadiums, you can also set minimum capacity requirements.

That works, although the issue is it picks the nation before the stadium, ie. it won't exclusively pick countries with stadiums that meet your capacity requirements. So either I'd have to leave some countries out permanently, or include them knowing they don't currently have any stadiums big enough (and maybe never will) and just ocassionally end up with a final at a tiny stadium.

39 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Ah, I've done it like that for other tournaments. You can actually make it a random stadium from that country still. In the stadium pool section set the nation to "Host Nation", tell it to refresh the list every year and to randomise stadiums, you can also set minimum capacity requirements.

That works, although the issue is it picks the nation before the stadium, ie. it won't exclusively pick countries with stadiums that meet your capacity requirements. So either I'd have to leave some countries out permanently, or include them knowing they don't currently have any stadiums big enough (and maybe never will) and just ocassionally end up with a final at a tiny stadium.

Interesting, I will take a look at that. Spicing up a bit instead of the same stadiums every time, even though they rotate is nice.

On 09/01/2022 at 12:45, Wolf_pd said:

image.thumb.png.dbc461d1f396933482b32c9b573a00d2.png

Hi, I'm currently creating a Scandinavian Super League, using 'Crimea' as the nation (changed the name to Scandinavia).

one of the issues i'm having creating the Scandinavian FA Cup and in an ideal world i'd love to Have each Semi Final in Same stadium and the Final in another Stadium from the same nation. is that possible?

On 12/01/2022 at 04:35, mark1677 said:

Hi, I'm currently creating a Scandinavian Super League, using 'Crimea' as the nation (changed the name to Scandinavia).

one of the issues i'm having creating the Scandinavian FA Cup and in an ideal world i'd love to Have each Semi Final in Same stadium and the Final in another Stadium from the same nation. is that possible?

Definitely possible.

20220113202241_1.thumb.jpg.53ccccec0e7501352714408a09738d4a.jpg

You want your "Host Nation" page to look like this, except using your Scandinavian countries obviously.

20220113202253_1.thumb.jpg.8226eb4c799544638d1f526629d39815.jpg

And your "Stadium Pool" page like this. That should pull the 4 largest stadiums from the host country. If you tick the "Randomise Stadiums" button at the top then that should make any of those 4 eligible to host rather than just the biggest 2. You could also increase the "Number Of Stadiums" if you want a wider pool for the game to choose from, or set a "Minimum Capacity" instead, although the latter is liable to be ignored if there aren't any stadiums big enough.

Then when setting up your rounds set the semis to use "Stadium 1" by default the 2nd largest stadium, although different if you ticked the "Randomise Stadiums" box, and the final to "Stadium 0" by default the largest, again depending whether you chose to randomise or not.

If you use "Fixture Dates" then you'd need to set the stadiums both there and in the individual Round/Stages.

9 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Definitely possible.

20220113202241_1.thumb.jpg.53ccccec0e7501352714408a09738d4a.jpg

You want your "Host Nation" page to look like this, except using your Scandinavian countries obviously.

20220113202253_1.thumb.jpg.8226eb4c799544638d1f526629d39815.jpg

And your "Stadium Pool" page like this. That should pull the 4 largest stadiums from the host country. If you tick the "Randomise Stadiums" button at the top then that should make any of those 4 eligible to host rather than just the biggest 2. You could also increase the "Number Of Stadiums" if you want a wider pool for the game to choose from, or set a "Minimum Capacity" instead, although the latter is liable to be ignored if there aren't any stadiums big enough.

Then when setting up your rounds set the semis to use "Stadium 1" by default the 2nd largest stadium, although different if you ticked the "Randomise Stadiums" box, and the final to "Stadium 0" by default the largest, again depending whether you chose to randomise or not.

If you use "Fixture Dates" then you'd need to set the stadiums both there and in the individual Round/Stages.

Thank you mate! you've helped me so much

On 09/01/2022 at 07:06, rusty217 said:

Not like the AI would start building 40K+ stadiums where they aren't already, unless you have that league active and are pumping money into it. I realize that isn't so helpful...

But if you're going realistic, a neutral-site final would be in the US nearly every time. Cruz Azul-Montreal? Tickets will be at a premium in a Las Vegas, Houston, NJ, etc.Heck, SV Robinhood vs. Dandy Town Hornets? Pop it in Miami or Tampa

Not to hijack, but is there a way to get it to pick a host stadium from a random team in a knockout stage and use that for every game (possibly over multiple stages)? I've tried "league stage stadium 1" and all that good stuff, with the games being scheduled for offset dates with competition neutral, but it seems to pick a random participant from that individual game rather than one team from the whole tournament (and using it consistently)

Edited by themodelcitizen

22 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Not like the AI would start building 40K+ stadiums where they aren't already, unless you have that league active and are pumping money into it. I realize that isn't so helpful...

But if you're going realistic, a neutral-site final would be in the US nearly every time. Cruz Azul-Montreal? Tickets will be at a premium in a Las Vegas, Houston, NJ, etc.Heck, SV Robinhood vs. Dandy Town Hornets? Pop it in Miami or Tampa

Not to hijack, but is there a way to get it to pick a host stadium from a random team in a knockout stage and use that for every game (possibly over multiple stages)? I've tried "league stage stadium 1" and all that good stuff, with the games being scheduled for offset dates with competition neutral, but it seems to pick a random participant from that individual game rather than one team from the whole tournament (and using it consistently)

I've been simulating with all Central American leagues and a bunch of Caribbean leagues running and some new larger stadiums were definitely built.

I'd argue that both Mexico and Canada would make for excellent places for the final too! Besides given European finals sometimes go to nations like Azerbaijan I see no reason nations like Costa Rica shouldn't be eligible to host the final every now and then.

That should be possible. On the "Stadium Pool" screenshot above there's an option for "Pick Stadiums From Teams In Stage" set that to the stage index you want and set "Number Of Stadiums" to 1, it should just pick 1 stadium from the teams in that stage and then you can tell the game to use that as the stadium for every match (would probably need to set every match to be played at "Stadium 0" there's an "Allow Multiple Matches Per Day Per Stadium" tick box on the Stadium Pool page too).

Edited by rusty217

8 hours ago, rusty217 said:

I'd argue that both Mexico and Canada would make for excellent places for the final too! Besides given European finals sometimes go to nations like Azerbaijan I see no reason nations like Costa Rica shouldn't be eligible to host the final every now and then.

That's because Azerbaijan is paying UEFA. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I've created a simple 4 club knockout anual comp from 2 nations. Is it possible to do the following, please?

Have a specific pool of stadia for each nation (say 3 each) and have alternative years a different stadium from each country, ie:

Year 1: Country A - Stadium 1

Year 2: Country B - Stadium 1

Year 3: Country A - Stadium 2

Year 4: Country B - Stadium 2 etc...

Any help to achieve this will be greatly appreciated.